testtest

Bought a brand new Hellcat today but how do I know what version/generation/year or series?

SM2A002

Alpha
Sorry if this is not posted in the right thread or area!

Question:

Bought a new Hellcat today and was trying to figure out what year it was manufactured. I had heard (from gun buddies/hearsay on internet, etc) that the early models of Hellcats had some issues but since then they have ironed out the issues with their later models?

Tried to look it up by my serial # but it only gave redirected me to register for the SA warranty that comes with the gun.

The Hellcat has been out for I think just a year now, never heard of any early issues with it unless you read or hear about the so called trigger issue, which is mostly self induced by people just looking for something to post on social media. You have probably bought one of the most tested guns Springfield has manufactured, it will serve you quit well, it’s dependable, accurate. I’m sure you will enjoy it for years to come.

The HellCat is a year old. There is a Optic Ready version, (OSP). A version that has no Optic cut on the slide. There is a version that uses a fiber optic front sight. Maybe another that doesn't have the V notch rear sight but that is about it. My Hellcat OSP is very accurate and has not had a single failure using many different factory offerings.
The SA 911 has had MANY issues since it came out two years ago. It still has issues though they could be from old new stock guns being sold. This may be what your gun buddies may be confusing it with. The Hellcat is good to go. The 911 blows!

Question:

Bought a new Hellcat today and was trying to figure out what year it was manufactured. I had heard (from gun buddies/hearsay on internet, etc) that the early models of Hellcats had some issues but since then they have ironed out the issues with their later models?

Tried to look it up by my serial # but it only gave redirected me to register for the SA warranty that comes with the gun.

As quickly as these have sold, unless you purchased a used gun, it seems improbable that any gun would have resided in a dealer's inventory for very long. If you just purchased it, it is likely brand new production.

On a side note, I have a very early one and it has performed flawlessly through over 5,000 rounds + and often goes 1,000 rounds between cleanings on a heavy range day. The springs were recommended to be replaced at 2,500 rounds and haven't done that yet either. My wife and I put 500 rounds through it today. :)

As quickly as these have sold, unless you purchased a used gun, it seems improbable that any gun would have resided in a dealer's inventory for very long. If you just purchased it, it is likely brand new production.

On a side note, I have a very early one and it has performed flawlessly through over 5,000 rounds + and often goes 1,000 rounds between cleanings on a heavy range day. The springs were recommended to be replaced at 2,500 rounds and haven't done that yet either. My wife and I put 500 rounds through it today. :)

I bought it new today at my local gun show.

Thanks for the info. :)

"I have the 911 . 380 it does not blow at all.
like to see actually facts on that comment."

I watched a younger fellow in his mid-thirties show up at our range last year with his 911 and the biggest smile on his face. I was shooting my XDs beside him and commented to him "if that is a Springfield, you'll love it". I never had an issue with a Springfield Armory pistol. He had it cleaned up meaning he took the factory grease off everything, re-lubricated before he arrived and proceeded to put two factory offerings down the barrel. Remington and Hornady rounds if I remember correctly. His gun failed so miserably I actually felt bad for him. I tried it for him thinking maybe he wasn't firming his hold when firing. I honestly couldn't get two in a row from that pistol and then the trigger wouldn't reset. He told me he spent his overtime savings on that gun and this guy was beside himself. I checked his lubrication on the pistol and it was lubricated well.
I never saw him up there again so I have no idea what the issue was but I did a search just googling "Springfield 911 Issues" later and there are a lot of complaints about this gun and the very same things I saw and first hand experienced. I was going to buy one when I handled his regardless of his issues on that particular pistol until I saw the posts many others had with the very same issues.
Look, there are those who have the gun and love it. But there are too many others who had troubles with it necessitating returns to SA for repair orders. I'm a brand backer and have always shot SA 1911's and XD's and now the Hellcat. No issues at all. Ever! But SA's quality control failed them on the 911. I hope they figured things out with it but I won't buy one and it's problems like this on heavily marketed guns that leave people to talk down on a company's whole product line. (Like I stated above may have been why people were telling the original poster that the Hellcat had issues, which it doesn't).
It's possible a "batch" of these were released to the consumer market that shouldn't have been released and many others are good to go. I know what I saw, watched and read which is why I have that opinion of the gun. It's an opinion. Everybody has one and I respect yours because you had no problems. Now you know why I have mine.

Be sure you do register for the warranty with Springfield - when you do so, they give you a one time opportunity to buy accessories such as magazines for half price. I loaded up with XDM magazines and a mag loader each time I got one of my XDM’s.

I have the 911 . 380 it does not blow at all.

like to see actually facts on that comment.
It was nearly a month before I could shoot my first 911. No 2nd or 3rd hand story. Mine. As with all new handguns, I cleared it through my FFL, took it home for a thorough cleaning and manual read. I bought it for my wife, so within the week I took her to the range with multiple brands of ball ammo.
Loaded both magazines, put one in the 911, handed the pistol to my wife. First round wouldn’t feed. She handed it back, I dropped the magazine, checked the rounds, handed it back...wouldn’t feed. Stripped the top round off...next round wouldn’t feed. Tried the other magazine...same issue. Tried a different ammo brand...same issue. Took out the JHP I made up for her. Failure to feed.
The rounds were hitting the feed ramp, and nose diving rather than sliding UP into the chamber. Took some pics, took the gun straight to my FFL, sent it off to Springfield.

Ten days later, my 911 was back...went to the FFL to pick it up...looked over the pistol...everything looked fine. They “re-cut the chamber and polished the feedramp”. While manually racking the slide at the FFL something didn’t quite feel right. It seemed the slide was hanging up on the slide stop, even with no magazine inserted. Tried it several more times...I could see that the slide stop lock was backing out of the frame. On takedown at the counter I discovered that the slide stop spring was missing. Gee, thanks Springfield. Rather than ship it off again, my FFL requested they send a new slide stop spring.

A year later, I ordered (at significant cost) 6 extra slide stop springs, as the spring continued to fall out of the pistol whenever the slide stop pin was removed. As it turns out, I tried for 3 weeks to get another spring inserted into the frame....I finally gave up and sent the pistol back to Springfield. Somehow, they got a new spring installed in the frame. But, whenever I remove the slide stop pin, the spring leg drops out of position. The spring, however, remains in the gun. I just have to raise the spring leg back into place in the frame, and it stays in place, as does the slide stop pin, until the next time I clean the pistol.

Bought a second 911...no firing challenges out of the box, but the slide stop spring leg drops out of the frame when I remove the slide stop pin.

I’m teaching a female friend to shoot. She likes the look and feel, and the recoil of the 911. This Friday (9/7/20) she asked me to accompany her to purchase her 911...with Green Viridian Laser grips. Hasn’t been fired yet...but I showed her how to take it down for cleaning....and the slide stop spring leg dropped out of the frame.

I love how the pistol feels, shoots, love the trigger, after initial failure my 911 eats anything. Factory, my reloads, ball, JHP, Sierra 95gr FP. No issues whatsoever...until I field strip it. I have 6 .380 ACP pistols, 7 counting the one I’m holding for my friend until we get it cleaned, lubed, and broken in. All of the Springfield 911s have this issue with the slide stop spring. Nothing else has given me a lick of trouble. Two of them are Kimber Micros...I love their slide stop spring design...and it’s permanently held in place with a screw.

Very interesting indeed. I’ll certainly keep a eye on mine. I actually just cleaned it this morning. I put about 300 rounds in it already. I did notice it was pretty dirty on the slide ramp. I’ll go to the range early this week. Eventually like to give this to my wife but I need to train her first.

Very interesting indeed. I’ll certainly keep a eye on mine. I actually just cleaned it this morning. I put about 300 rounds in it already. I did notice it was pretty dirty on the slide ramp. I’ll go to the range early this week. Eventually like to give this to my wife but I need to train her first.
My wife, and now my female friend love it. They leave the problems to me. So here's the question. Does your slide stop spring leg drop out of the frame? According to feedback from other forums, mine was the only one doing this...and now I am batting 3 of 3 for 911s I've field stripped. I'll have to start asking gun shops to let me field strip...the first one that the slide stop spring remains in place...I'm buying.

My wife, and now my female friend love it. They leave the problems to me. So here's the question. Does your slide stop spring leg drop out of the frame? According to feedback from other forums, mine was the only one doing this...and now I am batting 3 of 3 for 911s I've field stripped. I'll have to start asking gun shops to let me field strip...the first one that the slide stop spring remains in place...I'm buying.

the string stayed in place . Just pushed it down to put slide back on. Is that what you mean

Question:

Question:

I guess I regret buying the NON OSP version of the Hellcat. I was trying to get a good deal and save the $$. oh well. Now if I want to put a Red Dot sight on it I have to pay lots of extra $$ to have the slide milled (which is way more than if I would have bought the OSP version outright) or use an adapter mount. :(

Back