testtest

Building Your 24-Hour Get Home Bag

I recall him having a portable water filter system included in the gear, but I'm thinking what about water/hydration on-hand, whether you're walking to your destination, or even staying with the vehicle waiting for someone to come get you? I try to keep at least 3 standby bottles of water in my truck (put 'em in the door pocket cup holders), and that's just for my random errand trips to town 4 miles away. If I travel out of town, I'll probably have a minimum of 5.

I recall him having a portable water filter system included in the gear, but I'm thinking what about water/hydration on-hand, whether you're walking to your destination, or even staying with the vehicle waiting for someone to come get you? I try to keep at least 3 standby bottles of water in my truck (put 'em in the door pocket cup holders), and that's just for my random errand trips to town 4 miles away. If I travel out of town, I'll probably have a minimum of 5.

Most of the stuff that's mentioned in the article I have in my truck somewhere. Plus a bunch of other stuff that's useful for me personally. The one thing I don't have and should have is a water filtration system.

Most of the stuff that's mentioned in the article I have in my truck somewhere. Plus a bunch of other stuff that's useful for me personally. The one thing I don't have and should have is a water filtration system.
"The one thing I don't have and should have is a water filtration system."

Same here. My brother, who is pretty up to date knowledge-wise on this stuff, tells me not to buy the Lifestraw available at Walmart. He said it could work in a pinch, but to spend a few more bucks and get something better.

This is good info for those who can utilize it. Many of the things in this article have no bearing for me because 1) I can't walk very far and 2) I don't travel to isolated areas anymore. I also don't get out during extreme weather situations but I do keep extra water on hand and a few other things. I always have a way to start a fire should I need to but not very likely.

Great note and wise planning. Hydration is key. The more on hand you have stored, and the more means of filtering/purifying, the better.

I have both a ”get home” and a “get out of dodge” bag, both are fairly similar loaded with most of the items listed in the article, the only difference would be my get out bag has the supplies to get me to my camper which is stocked with supplies for about 3 months. The camper has a generator for off the grid seclusion and a air compressor. The fresh water tank is full that I use for washing dishes and showering only and I’ve installed a 3 stage water filtration system that I can use full time or bypass.

I have both a ”get home” and a “get out of dodge” bag, both are fairly similar loaded with most of the items listed in the article, the only difference would be my get out bag has the supplies to get me to my camper which is stocked with supplies for about 3 months. The camper has a generator for off the grid seclusion and a air compressor. The fresh water tank is full that I use for washing dishes and showering only and I’ve installed a 3 stage water filtration system that I can use full time or bypass.

It’s safe to say....I have “prepper envy” after reading this. That’s badass.

I always have a way to start a fire should I need to.

I keep 3 ways to make a fire. Matches/lighters, flint and road flares.

Actually had an "event" this summer while the wife and I were riding dirt bikes. We had to abandon the bikes and hike out. Got to a spot with cell and had help comin. But it was raining the whole time and we needed a fire for 6 hrs till help arrived. Would have been a cold night without the road flare. They burn hot & long enough to start even wet wood. Had a nice toasty bonfire that night. And my trusty G29 to keep us safe from the local critters.

Attachments

• TRAIL 111 033.jpg
    TRAIL 111 033.jpg
    3 MB · Views: 233
I keep 3 ways to make a fire. Matches/lighters, flint and road flares.

Actually had an "event" this summer while the wife and I were riding dirt bikes. We had to abandon the bikes and hike out. Got to a spot with cell and had help comin. But it was raining the whole time and we needed a fire for 6 hrs till help arrived. Would have been a cold night without the road flare. They burn hot & long enough to start even wet wood. Had a nice toasty bonfire that night. And my trusty G29 to keep us safe from the local critters.
Agreed, road flares have many uses, I always have a dozen handy at all times.

I was at a few Harbor Freight stores over the last week or so. A whole lot of the stuff that would be useful for a bug out or get home bag can be had there at extremely reasonable prices. Certainly not everything you need would I buy there, but I can't figure out why anyone would go to a specialty outfit and pay more for stuff like paracord, magnesium firestarter, mess kits basic survival gear or anything else where top quality isn't imperative.

I was at a few Harbor Freight stores over the last week or so. A whole lot of the stuff that would be useful for a bug out or get home bag can be had there at extremely reasonable prices. Certainly not everything you need would I buy there, but I can't figure out why anyone would go to a specialty outfit and pay more for stuff like paracord, magnesium firestarter, mess kits basic survival gear or anything else where top quality isn't imperative.
Grandson and I walked every aisle in the local Harbor Freight store yesterday. Wanted to get another box of nitrile gloves, but they were out of the xl size. I did notice the price has increased a lot since buying the previous box (pre-covid).

Grandson and I walked every aisle in the local Harbor Freight store yesterday. Wanted to get another box of nitrile gloves, but they were out of the xl size. I did notice the price has increased a lot since buying the previous box (pre-covid).

I got a double head tank top dish heater for $50, a small and a large magnetic parts holder for $10 and a few battery operated LED lights for $3 each last night.

Back