testtest

BUIS comments requested

That’s exactly what those engineers were saying. Thread pitch, wet or dry torque, quality of steel screws, etc.

By the way, probably everyone knows but never use Loc-tite on aluminum.
Hey Bob, I did not know that (I never heard it before, other than a few comments on various websites). I sold Loctite for several years (about 25 years ago), and using on aluminum was never an issue in any industrial applications requiring a medium strength thread locker that I was involved with. There is no reactive consequences between aluminum and Loctite 242 (or 243)...and it almost always sets properly, although the presence of oil or grease will prevent curing...so clean the parts first. Are you referring to Loctite Red? I agree, red will break many aluminum bolts before it releases...unless you heat it up to about 500F...

Hey Bob, I did not know that (I never heard it before, other than a few comments on various websites). I sold Loctite for several years (about 25 years ago), and using on aluminum was never an issue in any industrial applications requiring a medium strength thread locker that I was involved with. There is no reactive consequences between aluminum and Loctite 242 (or 243)...and it almost always sets properly, although the presence of oil or grease will prevent curing...so clean the parts first. Are you referring to Loctite Red? I agree, red will break many aluminum bolts before it releases...unless you heat it up to about 500F...
It refers to aluminum screws and their penchant for the heads easily stripping out or breaking.

Well, just to clean this up, I received a set of Midwest Industries Combat sights in the mail today, $160 delivered or so from MidwayUSA. Cheaper than buying direct from the factory (which I drive by every week for work). Installed pretty smooth, adjusted to my dot optic, now just need to go verify next time it's not -20F on a weekend around here...Not sure I like co-witnessing, but that's just looking down the sights in the house. Gotta shoot it to figure that out. Thanks again for the comments.

Well, just to clean this up, I received a set of Midwest Industries Combat sights in the mail today, $160 delivered or so from MidwayUSA. Cheaper than buying direct from the factory (which I drive by every week for work). Installed pretty smooth, adjusted to my dot optic, now just need to go verify next time it's not -20F on a weekend around here...Not sure I like co-witnessing, but that's just looking down the sights in the house. Gotta shoot it to figure that out. Thanks again for the comments.
Well they are back up sights. You will need to be able to see them through the optic if the battery goes dead or the optic fails for some reason. Other than that why even flip them up ?

Well they are back up sights. You will need to be able to see them through the optic if the battery goes dead or the optic fails for some reason. Other than that why even flip them up ?
^ *emphasis-added.

@Jfal noted previously that he has astigmatism, to the extent that he feels that the "starburst" effect he sees of the dot limits his use of the RDS to between the 50 to 100 yard lines - https://www.thearmorylife.com/forum/threads/buis-comments-requested.10314/#post-137099

With the help of the rear aperture via co-witnessing, many shooters with astigmatism can much better resolve the dot, and can potentially stretch their use of the dot to effective-range of the 5.56/.223 cartridge.

One possible use. :)

Thats correct TSI...I got them primarily for shooting beyond about 70 yards where the dot becomes the size of a full silhouette for my eyes. Yes, my dot has about 8 brightness levels I can toggle through, as well as both red and green dot change. We will see. My philosophy of use for the AR platform is strictly range plinking for entertainment. I would never think of firing a non-suppressed AR inside my home for self defense because I like to hear things and plan to as long as possible into my golden years. I read about you guys shooting 300 yards (and a lot more) with a 5.56/.223, but the red dot is worthless for that. Need irons, and I don't have a scope. Who knows what I'll have on it after year or two of plinking...

Thats correct TSI...I got them primarily for shooting beyond about 70 yards where the dot becomes the size of a full silhouette for my eyes. Yes, my dot has about 8 brightness levels I can toggle through, as well as both red and green dot change. We will see. My philosophy of use for the AR platform is strictly range plinking for entertainment. I would never think of firing a non-suppressed AR inside my home for self defense because I like to hear things and plan to as long as possible into my golden years. I read about you guys shooting 300 yards (and a lot more) with a 5.56/.223, but the red dot is worthless for that. Need irons, and I don't have a scope. Who knows what I'll have on it after year or two of plinking...

You plan on shooting 300+ yards with BUIS ?

300 yds isn't exactly far for shooting with BUIS or iron sights. I shoot steel targets the size of a stop sign at 300 yds consistently using 5.56 and irons.
Oh I know it can be done. With aging eyes and magpul type pop ups, taking pot shots at stop sign sized targets 300+ yards away though, the luster wears off that extremely fast doesn't it. ( Notice I didn't use a question mark) About 6 shots in I am going to be looking to be a lot more precise than a stop sign.

If I was setting one up as a defensive weapon and I was in the OPs position, I might do just what he did ( I have 2 set up exactly that way now), but he says it's range only. I recently just spent a few hours sighting in a $90 PA 3-9X44 on a .223 Wylde range only gun I built, at 200 yards and THAT got old real quick. So I put a Bushnell Elite 6500 on it. Now we're gonna have some real fun.

My $.02, if it is just going to be a range toy put a scope on it. Or if you really are sold on the red dot then get a magnifier that flips out of the way.

Oh I know it can be done. With aging eyes and magpul type pop ups, taking pot shots at stop sign sized targets 300+ yards away though, the luster wears off that extremely fast doesn't it. ( Notice I didn't use a question mark) About 6 shots in I am going to be looking to be a lot more precise than a stop sign.

If I was setting one up as a defensive weapon and I was in the OPs position, I might do just what he did ( I have 2 set up exactly that way now), but he says it's range only. I recently just spent a few hours sighting in a $90 PA 3-9X44 on a .223 Wylde range only gun I built, at 200 yards and THAT got old real quick. So I put a Bushnell Elite 6500 on it. Now we're gonna have some real fun.

My $.02, if it is just going to be a range toy put a scope on it. Or if you really are sold on the red dot then get a magnifier that flips out of the way.
Good points!

Enjoy the new scope.

Gosh, my marine vet buddies tell me they had to qualify on their A2's with irons WAY beyond 300 yards...I seem to remember them telling me they shot 600 yards with irons regularly. I'm just looking for a way to aim at targets up to 300 yards with my AR without having to drop the price of a decent EDC pistol on a low-quality scope. I know enough to know that "good" scopes can run $5-10k....just for an optic. My local range has a 200/300 yard section, and I can't see the targets through my dot...irons will suffice for my purposes. Again, I don't hunt, I don't use the AR for home defense...it's a plinker in the most pure definition, or a tool for WROL situations in the end of times. I would hesitate to drop $300 on the cheapest scope or magnifier, given it's POU.

Gosh, my marine vet buddies tell me they had to qualify on their A2's with irons WAY beyond 300 yards...I seem to remember them telling me they shot 600 yards with irons regularly. I'm just looking for a way to aim at targets up to 300 yards with my AR without having to drop the price of a decent EDC pistol on a low-quality scope. I know enough to know that "good" scopes can run $5-10k....just for an optic. My local range has a 200/300 yard section, and I can't see the targets through my dot...irons will suffice for my purposes. Again, I don't hunt, I don't use the AR for home defense...it's a plinker in the most pure definition, or a tool for WROL situations in the end of times. I would hesitate to drop $300 on the cheapest scope or magnifier, given it's POU.
Well, it's all about priorities. Like I said, if you are going to be satisfied hitting a stop sign sized target, somewhat consistently then you are all ready to go. By the way, marines qualify at 200, 350 and 500 yards. And if you think more than about 6% of them are hitting the 10 ring at that distance you're wrong. ( they don't have to hit the 10 ring to qualify).

Anyway, who am I to tell you what you want brother? Hell, I barely know what I want. I can tell you though that precision shooting with irons at 300 yards, even with good eyes, is a skill that most people don't have. And the ones that do have it, shoot a lot. I mean a lot.

And yeah, you can dump 5k on a scope. You can also get a brand new scope for $1000 that, if you do your part, will put you in the center at 600 yards easy. If you get lucky, you can pick one up used for about $300. I just did.

According to SMEs in the optics arena like John "Chappy" Chapman, even with astigmatism, good shooters should be able to successfully engage torso-sized targets at 300 yards, with a typical 1- to 4-MOA dot size modern RDS, without further aid (i.e. peeking through a rear aperture, magnifier, etc.).

Within the 500, I'm convinced that a reasonable-quality mid-tier 1-6x or even 1-4x can easily hold its own, in typical daylight conditions. Getting a one-tier-higher modern 1-6x, second-hand for additional savings, as @Bassbob so wisely suggested, is something that I think would be worth keeping an eye out for (no pun intended! 😅 ), as a gun that carries a potential WROL-scenario intent.

The flip side of this is that it actually may make your 300-and-in range-outings all but boring and routine, @Jfal , again just as @Bassbob noted. :p

Perhaps the better compromise would indeed be a focus/dipoter-adjustable magnifier with either a quick-detach or swing-away mount. Primary Arms' new offerings definitely seem interesting, but really, given the price-point at which they are likely to come to the market, I'd be willing to wait-out and see if anyone decides to drop their previous-generation Vortex units, which come with a rather nice reversible, locking, swing-away Pic mount.

This way, you can both continue to work on your skills with the naked eye/unmagnified RDS setup. as well as the ability to go for a bit more precision on the flip side of things (oooooo, see what I did, there? :p 😁 😅 ), should you so desire.

On the other hand, a modern true/near-true 1 to 4 or 6x LPVO, on the lowest/lower end of its magnification settings can make your astigmatism a non-issue, @Jfal. After purchasing and setting up a reasonably-priced/quality "test chassis" of a Vortex Raptor 1-4x, I spent the next year taking classes to prove to myself that this setup was usable for me both in the low-light as well as in the CQB contexts, in addition to the need to shoot from awkward or disadvantaged positions (where eye-relief and eyebox issues can come into play: there's a picture out there somewhere, of me shooting from under a vehicle, with the AR "bumped" to my non-dominant side versus the full-transition as in the picture of me behind the low barricade, below) -

1643915841242.png
1643915212632.png

.....at the risk of yet another pun, I'm not looking back from this jump. :) I'm *really* happy with the modern LPVO, particularly in light of the additional weight compromise that a mounted magnifier brings.

Last edited:
1643919128272.png

There's that picture of my porky ass. 😅 Shooting underneath a vehicle (junked, with deflated tires that made it more challenging) - target was a reactive IDPA in which the typical furring strip was used to simulate a person's shin-bone.

A modern LPVO with a reasonably undistorted 1x, good eye-relief, and eyebox - regardless of whether the dot is truly "daylight visible" (always a bonus, but the circular objective makes for instinctual sight alignment as it is what our eye/brain loves to see - something that's centered within a circle) - really is very quick and very usable for quick, close-range work.

Back