testtest

Bullet Seating - Where are the Lands?

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member
So how do you decide on bullet seating depth for a new rifle or a specific bullet? There are a lot of different reasons for making that decision.

1706844250768.png

could not get it to open
but i use MATH bullet length, seating depth recommended, case length and overall cartridge length
reference the hand book of reloading then a few dry runs to get it adjusted in the machine, then pop the bullet out via the primer hole
so its not wasted.

Opened for me this time, but some links don't. While I do use the Hornady LNL OAL gauge there's been others that don't like that method (ultimate reloader), but it's worked fine for me. I haven't done any ogive measurements as it might be a better measurement for accuracy?

It depends on the rifle and it's use. Freebore or no freebore. Magazine length restrictions. When loading for my 40X-BR live varmint / benchrest rifle (single shot) I likes them to be no more than 0.020 off the lands. I believe I was loading them 0.010 off but that was quite a while back. I used a Sinclair International Bullet comparator and a good dial indicator.

my pop up blocker said NO NO NO
so its no open for me, must be some weirdness on the site..

who knows
i was too blunt above
i use the BOOK to get me in the range specified by the loading info for that round
the math part is because you have to be able add and subtract and read a micrometer. :ROFLMAO:

I have used hornady guage and tapped a fired case from the gun. Another way that works well is use a small amount of red locktite. Take fired case and put a small amount in the neck of the case. Carefully insert your bullet of choice in the case and carefully place it in the chamber and close the bolt on it. That will get you touching on the lands. Back off 10 thou from that ogive to case head measurement and start your load work up. Obviously be careful. Once I find an accurate load I adjust COAL till I find an accurate “node” and go from there. Clearly watch for signs of pressure etc as you proceed.

Back