testtest

Bump in the Night - Lesson Learned

I have guns in the house with loaded mag but none in the chambers always have so it is just nature to rack them if needed. Just to be safe. I always treat guns as if they are loaded and that is what I was taught and how I taught my son. I think it is bad not to teach your kids about gun even if you don't have any in the house. You never know what is going on in someone else house. We where at a friend house and his son was going to take his rifle out of the gun cabinet to show my son and he came down right away and told me after he told the boy not to.
Yeah, my kids used to do the same thing when their friends would ask to see the long guns in the cabinet. They would explain that they're not toys. Thanks.

I thought someone was trying to break in last night when our dog Teddy would not quit barking. He had that "I'm scared, please come check things out!" bark, so I got up and armed myself. I surveyed the area and determined it was just a "bump in the night." Teddy settled down after I told him it was okay.

When I woke up this morning, I went over my actions and discovered that I never chambered a round. My gun was empty! I previously made a conscious decision to store my gun unloaded in my Hornady RapidSafe, thinking that I would have time to chamber a round as I prepared for action. The problem with this was I skipped that critical step in my mental checklist.

I'm glad I had the opportunity to exercise this area of my home defense. I don't know why I always stored my gun that way. Maybe, because I was taught never to bring a loaded gun into the house while growing up. Whatever the reason, my gun is now loaded with one in the chamber, ready to go if I hear another "bump in the night."

What areas of your home defense need improvement, if any?

Glad you're ok and identified an area where you need an adjustment. We can all run drills and prepare 'til the cows come home, but when that moment comes your brain is working so fast it's hard to tell how you'll react. The way I train, the one way I know I WON'T react is to have my finger on the trigger until I need to, so all my guns that aren't in the safe ( and a few of them in there too) are loaded, one in the chamber.

My home defense plan is changing a little. I got my AR last night and after I get sights, an optic, a sling and some range time it's going to be my bedroom gun so I'm setting it up with that in mind.

One of the four rules is "treat every gun as if it were loaded", right?

So, keep 'em loaded.

That way, when under duress...you don't have to think. As you demonstrated...it's an IMPORTANT STEP. On top of that, be a responsible gun owner - yes, treat every gun as if it is loaded...but teach everyone else in the house to do the same. Not "guns are scary so stay away from them or they'll kill you", but "show them how to manipulate them properly so they don't hurt themselves".

My pistols always have a round in the chamber. That said, when they aren't on my hip, they're in the safe.

My bed-gun is a 12ga Mossberg pump, kept "cruiser-ready". Five in the pipe, rack it to load. I do that so nobody surprises me at night (I'm a heavy sleeper but the sound of a rack will wake the dead), and naturally you hold the pump so racking is simple as you raise the barrel. It's also a more natural move than racking a slide (to me, anyway) - more like cocking the hammer on my revolver, more fluid.

I teach my kids to shoot, where guns are to defend the house if I am not here, and also never show or discuss guns with your friends. Only time my kids should be talking guns is when at the range or hunting. Dont want other kids talking about our guns and someone I dont know decide to break in and steal stuff. I keep them locked up as well except for the self defense pistol.

My 500 currently hangs on the back of my bedroom door under my robe. 8 in the tube, 1 in the chamber. Safety is on. If someone is in my house I’m not trying to scare them. If you have to rack your weapon it’s an unloaded weapon.

Agreed. However, it's easier for me personally to remember to rack the pump than it is to fumble for a thumb safety in the dark, under stress.

I'm not trying to scare anyone with the racking noise either. My comment about the noise was if I'm asleep (a heavy sleeper) and someone somehow gets to my gun while I'm asleep, they can't shoot me with it without racking it - and that noise would wake me before they could pull the trigger.

I find the safety on the Mossberg to be in the perfect place. Another consideration ( for me anyway) is that the first thing I’m going to do after grabbing my shotgun is click the safety off. Which can be done silently, not giving away my position.

My children growing up knew not to touch my guns and listened. Things are different now and not sure I would trust most kids to listen.

We have sensor lights outside. Inside my wife likes electric candles in the windows. They give off a nice low light so it is never really dark in any room. A fully loaded CZ 18+1 with a laser is on the nightstand with a Mossberg 12 gauge in the closet.

Glad you're ok and identified an area where you need an adjustment. We can all run drills and prepare 'til the cows come home, but when that moment comes your brain is working so fast it's hard to tell how you'll react. The way I train, the one way I know I WON'T react is to have my finger on the trigger until I need to, so all my guns that aren't in the safe ( and a few of them in there too) are loaded, one in the chamber.

My home defense plan is changing a little. I got my AR last night and after I get sights, an optic, a sling and some range time it's going to be my bedroom gun so I'm setting it up with that in mind.
Yeah, the adrenaline was definitely pumping when I heard his distinctive bark. Thanks.

I teach my kids to shoot, where guns are to defend the house if I am not here, and also never show or discuss guns with your friends. Only time my kids should be talking guns is when at the range or hunting. Dont want other kids talking about our guns and someone I dont know decide to break in and steal stuff. I keep them locked up as well except for the self defense pistol.
I was fortunate that my kids grew up on military installations in relative safety. There was never any thought of a home invasion. Good ideas, thanks.

My children growing up knew not to touch my guns and listened. Things are different now and not sure I would trust most kids to listen.

We have sensor lights outside. Inside my wife likes electric candles in the windows. They give off a nice low light so it is never really dark in any room. A fully loaded CZ 18+1 with a laser is on the nightstand with a Mossberg 12 gauge in the closet.
Thanks. I invested in LED wall socket nightlights, which work really well. They take the place of your socket cover and come on at dark.

Deadbolts, good window locks and perimeter lights. A criminal will always find a way to break in, but they will make one hell of a racket trying to get into my house. The dog and my family for defense will be on them at that point.
we always Deadbolt lock doors behind us when we come home. Has become second nature. Door to Garage and every exterior door front and back has double deadbolts. Too many amazon delivery weirdo’s “delivering” packages that want to walk up and hand you a package. Hell no. Leave it on the porch. I’ll get my stuff after you drive away. Not letting anyone like a driver or porch pirate push a family member thru the door and rob us. Happens too often in our big city

As we know with gun ownership there is gun responsibility. Just reading these post there is many different opinions on what each persons prefers to do. Nothing wrong with that, if it works. Every situation that anyone has or will get in WILL BE DIFFERENT. In David’s situation, had someone been in the house and he went to draw or raise his weapon, you would know that the intruder is not going to say “hey, do a press check, make sure your loaded” and if David sees what appears to be a weapon shots will be fired, you have something called adrenaline that takes over.

I am not against a frame mounted safety, I don’t prefer them, especially on a carry gun. If you only knew what it really means when “seconds count” and then what one of the “golden rules” keep your finger off the trigger meant. I’m not speaking directly to y’all, I’m speaking that so many “outside” guys I talk to act like their pistol will just start shooting all by itself if it isn’t contained with a safety or isn’t contained with an empty chamber. When you are blindsided by a “bad guy” who know has you at gun point and you have a very small window to pull your pistol, one handed, but know you have to rack it? I know it’s so easy to “say” you’d knock the safety off on your keyboard, but when adrenalin kicks in so very easy to slip your mind and your pulling the trigger and nothing is happening, no matter how many times you “train”.

These guns do not fire themselves. Period. If they are chambered with no safety they do not fire themselves. I have two 6 year olds, but I have a safe for every gun I have that is not to be used. I have my other gun out of reach out of sight of my kids of any visitor. A picture that hangs on the wall beside my side of the bed that flips up, designed to hide firearms hides them well. There are plenty of options to properly store your firearms out of your children’s reach but in control if you if you need it.

[USER=55]@David N I would look at installing security cameras, if that’s and option that would the first route I went. You mentioned more lighting, that is exactly what I would do. Between those two you should be good as in not much else to do. You have a dog, that did his/her job if you didn’t I would also recommend that. Glad to hear your ok and everything worked out.

Deadbolts, good window locks and perimeter lights. A criminal will always find a way to break in, but they will make one hell of a racket trying to get into my house. The dog and my family for defense will be on them at that point.
we always Deadbolt lock doors behind us when we come home. Has become second nature. Door to Garage and every exterior door front and back has double deadbolts. Too many amazon delivery weirdo’s “delivering” packages that want to walk up and hand you a package. Hell no. Leave it on the porch. I’ll get my stuff after you drive away. Not letting anyone like a driver or porch pirate push a family member thru the door and rob us. Happens too often in our big city
I do the same thing. I'm having to remind the kids to do the same at their homes. Thanks.

Back