testtest

“But it’s a Taurus, it couldn’t last...

Talyn

SAINT
Founding Member

10,000 rounds" Except it did.

1709848903515.png

Taurus revolvers are very good, no issue with my Raging Hunter, haven’t taken out the 605 yet, but I know it will be fine, now there semi autos, that’s a different story…..hate to say this but Taurus revolvers have a better run then some of the Springfields here lately……..🤔🤔

Last edited:
Who put 10k rounds through a modern Taurus? What, if any, parts had to be replaced, when, and how often? How many, if any, malfunctions? Not much information in the OP?

All Taurus handguns aren't bad. It's just that their customer service and turn around times leave much to be desired and far too many, but by no means all or even the majority, of their products are problematic. The latter wouldn't be a problem if their warranty service was as good as Rugers. Ruger is just like Taurus IMHO, but with a best in class "warranty." I wouldn't be so hesitant to invest my hard earned money into another Taurus if I knew that they would fix any issues on their dime the first time around within a reasonable amount of time. I'd play Russian Roulette if that was the case, but it's not.

Last edited:
Can only go by my own experience but I have had several Taurus revolvers and still own two, one being a very early model 66 which was the first handgun i bought. Both have been exemplary.

20221108_124102.jpg

20211120_110431.jpg

My second observation is that thein those i have talked to the VAST majority of people who deride them as junk have never owned one, and most do not even have first hand reports from a source close to them. Not all of course, any product is going to have issues with a percentage of examples.

Thst said, I do know that there was about a two year period late 80s perhaps very early 90s where they had issues with the cylinder binding.

Can only go by my own experience but I have had several Taurus revolvers and still own two, one being a very early model 66 which was the first handgun i bought. Both have been exemplary.

View attachment 53568

View attachment 53569

My second observation is that thein those i have talked to the VAST majority of people who deride them as junk have never owned one, and most do not even have first hand reports from a source close to them. Not all of course, any product is going to have issues with a percentage of examples.

Thst said, I do know that there was about a two year period late 80s perhaps very early 90s where they had issues with the cylinder binding.
S&W had that same binding issue back in the 80’s, usually the problem was the B/C gap was to tight and when the gun heats up, the metal expands and you get cylinder binding, Taurus issues were with the timing and the fitting of the hand, sometimes the cylinder stop, all came down to improper fitting.

"Ruger is just like Taurus?" Whatever you say, but in my experience, that statement does not compute.
Ya kind of made me discount everything else he said. Each to his own.
They are in my experience, and based on what I have seen probably thousands now over the years report online. Too many people have had to send guns back or have had to contact Ruger about one issue or another. Personally, I have owned a lot of firearms over the years, and they are the only manufacturer that I had to ship guns back to. I've seen A LOT of people who have a favorable Ruger warranty and customer service story. The issue, and where they're like Taurus, is that all these people, including myself, shouldn't have had to find out how great Ruger's CS is in the first place.

I've had Rugers, one of which was an LC9s Pro, that had malfunction after malfunction out the box on a brand new, never fired gun. The trigger went completely dead after the third 7 round mag. Ruger paid both ways, fixed it in a little over two weeks there and back, and had it shipped back to my front door, but it never should have happened.

I am so confident that if you both still believe I'm full of it, I am sure I can do a search on all popular firearm forums and can post several dozen of examples to prove my point. I'm not saying Ruger is like Taurus in every way, shape, and form, but they are like Taurus when it comes to spotty quality control. The difference is, they fix the issue and do so expeditiously, so it's usually a no harm no foul situation with their customers who end up happy at the end of the day.

View attachment 53568

View attachment 53569

I agree with you. A lot of "experts" are regurgitating what they heard and others are just gun snobs. My observation has been a lot of people have been burt 30, 20, 15 years ago by Taurus with models that have long since been discontinued that were made on tooling that no longer exist by workers and management that no longer work there. They still hold a grudge just the same and will do so until the day they die. They typically jump into any Taurus thread to regurgitate their experiences like it happened yesterday, usually with purposely misleading every by not disclosing that it happened decades ago.

I've owned one black and one stainless slide Taurus G2 PT111 and one of each of the PT 736 TCP, a G2S, PT911, model 85, and a current model 942 3" 22lr. That's 8 Taurus handguns in total, and I still own 4. None have had issues other than with the crap fit and finish with their black slide semiautos. That said, I have been an active member of TaurusArmed.com for over a decade as well as several other popular firearm forums. Objectively, I still see a lot of lemons and first hand complaints even from longtime members and Taurus fanboys pertaining to slow turnaround times, guns being returned with the same issue, etc....

I even recently inquired about selling my model 85 for the new 6 shot 856 with the pinned front sight, and the consensus from long-time members was that the 856 has issues with going out of time. They had to send theirs back or DIY'd to fix it. I've even seen others on TheHighRoad.org and other popular gun forums share similar experiences. I'm not a Taurus haters or a gun snob, but I am objective. I just do not have as much faith in Taurus as I do other manufacturers. They have gotten a lot better with parts availability, customer service, and turn aroundtimes! They aren't as bad as many snobs claim, but they also aren't as great as some who lucked out and got a couple of good ones claim either. As another member pointed out though, most of the complaints I've seen are with their semiautos and not their revolvers with the exception of the 856.

Last edited:
Taurus pistols are quite a different thing. I have no first hand experiences but have known a number of owners personally, and shot a few. With the exception of thier Beretta 92 clones, which seem to be great, I have seen a number of issues from the one I have known.

Little they put out interested me so I do not even know the problem pistols more than to say it seems they had, past tense in my knowledge, pretty much across the board, some issues. What they are like today is left to others to say.

Bersa, another Brazilian maker, on the other hand I have never seen, nor heard from a person who owned one, a bad unreliable pistol. I have owned two and trusted them enough to pass on to family.

Last edited:
I’ve owned two Taurus handguns; one revolver, one auto.

The revolver—a 327 Tracker in .357–went out of time in under 200 rounds. It went back to Taurus, they said they fixed it, but I never shot it again to find out. Traded it off once I got it back.

The auto was one of their Beretta 92 clones, and while it functioned fine, the action, slide, trigger, every moving part felt like it had a couple pounds of sand poured into it (even when completely cleaned & lubed). I got rid of it, got a real Beretta, and never looked back.

I won’t own one again. More power to those who like them, but…don’t try to convince me they make high quality firearms.

The revolver—a 327 Tracker in .357–went out of time in under 200 rounds. It went back to Taurus, they said they fixed it, but I never shot it again to find out. Traded it off once I got it back.

The auto was one of their Beretta 92 clones, and while it functioned fine, the action, slide, trigger, every moving part felt like it had a couple pounds of sand poured into it (even when completely cleaned & lubed). I got rid of it, got a real Beretta, and never looked back.

I won’t own one again. More power to those who like them, but…don’t try to convince me they make high quality firearms.

Only Taurus i've ever bought is a TX-22 and while I enjoy the **** out of it, it's the only Taurus i'll ever own.

I am so confident that if you both still believe I'm full of it
Funny, I missed where anyone stated you're full of anything, save possibly bravado. "Each to his own," "whatever you say," and "in my experience" were stated, and should be taken as intended; no one is poking at you for sharing your opinion.

"Ruger is just like Taurus?" Whatever you say, but in my experience, that statement does not compute.
Neither make semi automatic handguns that are above pedestrian.

Back on point, I have a 30 plus year old Taurus model .44 that has thousands and thousands of rounds through it, has killed more whitetail than I can remember and will still consistently hit. 6” circle at 100 yards with iron sights. You can also easily shoot it one handed in complete comfort.

I don’t claim they do, but I still have access and experience with 3 of them, all bought at the same time in the early 90s and all of which have never had any issues.

If I’m buying a revolver today it’s going to probably be a Ruger or a Smith.

I don’t claim they do, but I still have access and experience with 3 of them, all bought at the same time in the early 90s and all of which have never had any issues.

If I’m buying a revolver today it’s going to probably be a Ruger or a Smith.
I will say that the first model 66 Taurus I bought early 80s is every bit as good as any Smith and Wesson I have shot, and that's a lot over the years. Fit and finish are every bit as good, the trigger and lockworks are smooth accuracy is superb. It has taken many many game animals.

The .380 snub is not as refined. The stainless shows a lot of wear, the DA trigger is relatively heavy and a bit gritty compared to other snubs, but has improved a lot. Overall not nearly as refined as Smith revolvers.

But, what it does have going for it is an innovative windage adjustable rear sight which is really nice for my cross dominance. The rubber grip is the only rubber grip I have ever liked. It Also has a unique size, close to the old Smith Terrier which I really like for a pocket revolver. That and the. 380 which I use in a pistol made the choice.

I will say that the first model 66 Taurus I bought early 80s is every bit as good as any Smith and Wesson I have shot, and that's a lot over the years. Fit and finish are every bit as good, the trigger and lockworks are smooth accuracy is superb. It has taken many many game animals.

The .380 snub is not as refined. The stainless shows a lot of wear, the DA trigger is relatively heavy and a bit gritty compared to other snubs, but has improved a lot. Overall not nearly as refined as Smith revolvers.

But, what it does have going for it is an innovative windage adjustable rear sight which is really nice for my cross dominance. The rubber grip is the only rubber grip I have ever liked. It Also has a unique size, close to the old Smith Terrier which I really like for a pocket revolver. That and the. 380 which I use in a pistol made the choice.
I agree about the rear sight and rubber grip. Mine is 100% as it came from the factory and I assure you if it’s within 100 yards I’m gonna get it.

Back