testtest

Can a .308 with a Red Dot Hit at 500 Yards?

I have the same rifle, walnut and all. Within 10 rounds on the range out of the box I was hitting 18" steel at 425 yards with iron sights 4/5 rounds.

I now have a Burris Scout 2-7x32 LER on there and shooting isn't even a challenge any more.

I ws waiting for this article to hit here since I got it in an SA email yesterday.

There's a big difference between a DMR (Designated Marksmanship Rifle) and simply attaching a red dot optic on a short-barreled rifle of any type and calling it a DMR.

Definition: A designated marksman rifle (DMR) is a scoped high-precision rifle used by infantrymen in the designated marksman (DM) role. It generally fills the engagement range gap between a service rifle and a dedicated sniper rifle, at around 300–600 meters (330–660 yds).

Can a SOCOMM and Scout Squad fling a round that far. Sure. But there's a big difference between what's considered a scoped high-precision rifle and a standard rifle with a red dot on it.

As HG said it depends on the size of the target and the red dot itself. The target at 500 yds. looks like its the size of a small car. As KF says it also depends on the visual acuity of the shooter. In both cases trying to pick out a man-sized target and place a precise shot is problematic, other than flinging rds out that far to keep heads down.

Also, a lot of folks think they're great shots when they can hit a steel target the size of a car or barn door at extended ranges, when in reality competition shooters & mil snipers are accomplishing far far better.

Also, I don't think SA came up with, and marketed the Squad Scout as a CQB variant but as a more portable version of the standard. The SOCOMM version is a different matter.

The article is what it is, an experiment on a known range at a large target, for shits & giggles. Put a real scope on for more precise shooting makes the Scout Squad (I have one) more versatile for longer ranges. IMO the SOCOMM is best used for shorter-ranged purposes, but it's never appealed to me.

My .02

I shoot out to 300yds with irons and red dots for consistent hits on steel. I have had the opportunity to try 500yds in my area.

Question??? So the optic used, Athlon Optic Midas LE Gen2. Is it compatible with .308 caliber rifle or 5.56 caliber??
It's a red dot. You zero it at the distance you want, and it hits where you aim. 1 MOA is 1 MOA no matter what round you're shooting.

It's a red dot. You zero it at the distance you want, and it hits where you aim. 1 MOA is 1 MOA no matter what round you're shooting.
Some optics have graduated reticles which correlate to different calibers for adjusting for holdover.

Some optics have graduated reticles which correlate to different calibers for adjusting for holdover.
This one does not. Regardless, they are generally designed to provide a standard reference, e.g., each graduation is one MOA at some distance. One MOA is one MOA whether it's a .223 or a .308 or a 40mm cannon.

This one does not. Regardless, they are generally designed to provide a standard reference, e.g., each graduation is one MOA at some distance. One MOA is one MOA whether it's a .223 or a .308 or a 40mm cannon.
Except some reticles (ACSS, for examples) are designed for specific calibers.

5B4BBD28-FF4F-4775-9759-7675D91DE84F.jpeg

Except some reticles (ACSS, for examples) are designed for specific calibers.

View attachment 33605
Some are, yes, and they work great as long as you always use exactly the same load as the reticles were designed for. This is great for military and LE - for military though, only as long as the supply to the battlefield is the right load. Anyone who has served or has studied history knows you can't count on that. Recent memory of the commercial marketplace should also be a caution for recreational shooters.

I'd rather have an optic like the one in the video that is built independent of the caliber or load, and then zero at my preferred distance and then train, train, train so that I know where point of aim / point of impact will be whether I'm shooting 147gr, 155gr, 168gr; standard flat base, boat tail, or Lapua scenar. DMRs aren't sniper rifles, they just need to consistently put lead on target at longer distances than standard tactical engagements. The M1A/M14 battle zero on iron sights puts lead on a man-sized target at 200-400 yards with point of aim at center mass on that target. So a good DMR will take that range out to 600 yards, usually with a magnified optic.

I don't know why they wouldn't work at 500 yards or more. If you can hit with the iron sights, then you can hit with the dot sights. The trajectory doesn't change and neither do the ballistics. Distance is distance. It is all according to you lining up the sights correctly and controlling the rifle. The rifle is more than capable of hitting the target.

Unlike most cases in life, it really is all about you.

I don't know why they wouldn't work at 500 yards or more. If you can hit with the iron sights, then you can hit with the dot sights. The trajectory doesn't change and neither do the ballistics. Distance is distance. It is all according to you lining up the sights correctly and controlling the rifle. The rifle is more than capable of hitting the target.

Unlike most cases in life, it really is all about you.
Only issue is the visual acuity of the marksman. Magnified optics make that an easier shot, but I agree - if you can see it, and you have properly zeroed your rifle, you should be able to hit it.

Back