testtest

Can Browning's Masterpiece Be Surpassed?

1631809277873.jpeg

Currently, my EDC is .45acp in a 1911. I love my 1911, Smith & Wesson did a great job. However, in the future my EDC will be 10mm in my NEW handgun. Which brand of handgun you might ask? I haven't figured out what the name of my firearms manufacturing business will be or the model name yet. If you have any ideas for a name, let me know.
Here's what my NEW handgun will be:
polymer frame
scandium slide
compact
10mm or any other high pressure cartridge (.45super, .357sig, 9mm major, etc.)
novel recoil and gas operating system
striker fired
unusually low bore axis
proprietary trigger
fully adjustable pistol grip; replaceable side, backstrap panels and more
optics ready and more
modular dust cover

My NEW handgun will bring together two main trends in the firearm industry, lightweight materials and more powerful cartridges, into an easily carried EDC platform anyone can shoot. Better mitigation of recoil is the key to this advancement. By changing the manner in which recoil is transmitted to the shooter's hand, this becomes possible.

Browning's recoil operating system, an undeniable masterpiece, can be and should be surpassed. It has served us all very well for over a 100 years. But I believe Browning is disappointed that nobody has yet moved the state of the art beyond his work. I'm prepared to take on that considerable challenge!

Ummmm, ok, not exactly sure where this is going. I assume it's a wish list... if so, hope you find what you are looking for. Until then, the 1911 will do exactly like it has for 100 years, serve very well and take on all comers with ease.

It's demise, and obsolescence has been greatly exaggerated for many years.

Love the 1911 but just too heavy for EDC. Once carried one in a Jackass rig with two spare mags for off duty. My shoulders and back were really hurting by the end of the day. Much easier to carry my Glock 30 and with Glock 21 mag gives me 13 rounds instead of 7, 8 or 10. Glock 29 with 15 round mag might be something to look at. Just my 2 cents. :D

To each his own. I live in a rural area , lots of farmland and critters that are not particularly friendly. Firearms evolve as do threats.
I like a 45 but if I have both I am taking the 10 mm all day long. Flatter shooting, more powerful and typically higher capacity in most modern firearms.
Just Own one of each. Win/win

The 1911 will only become obsolete when ammo companies stop making ammo to shoot in it!

In 1990 Colt introduced the Colt 2000. It was a aluminum-alloy framed semiautomatic, 9 mm handgun with a magazine capacity of 15 rounds. Colt had hoped that it would be popular with police departments as they switched from double-action revolvers to semiautomatic pistols. However, the pistol was plagued with reports of inaccuracy and unreliability, and was eventually dropped form the line.
58-ALL%20AMERICAN%20MODEL%202000-PF08329-1.jpg

Last edited:
View attachment 20657

Currently, my EDC is .45acp in a 1911. I love my 1911, Smith & Wesson did a great job. However, in the future my EDC will be 10mm in my NEW handgun. Which brand of handgun you might ask? I haven't figured out what the name of my firearms manufacturing business will be or the model name yet. If you have any ideas for a name, let me know.
Here's what my NEW handgun will be:
polymer frame
scandium slide
compact
10mm or any other high pressure cartridge (.45super, .357sig, 9mm major, etc.)
novel recoil and gas operating system
striker fired
unusually low bore axis
proprietary trigger
fully adjustable pistol grip; replaceable side, backstrap panels and more
optics ready and more
modular dust cover

My NEW handgun will bring together two main trends in the firearm industry, lightweight materials and more powerful cartridges, into an easily carried EDC platform anyone can shoot. Better mitigation of recoil is the key to this advancement. By changing the manner in which recoil is transmitted to the shooter's hand, this becomes possible.

Browning's recoil operating system, an undeniable masterpiece, can be and should be surpassed. It has served us all very well for over a 100 years. But I believe Browning is disappointed that nobody has yet moved the state of the art beyond his work. I'm prepared to take on that considerable challenge!
I'm a huge 1911 fan. They have the best factory triggers of any pistol I've ever used and they're generally nice and precise but I like seeing new innovations as well. The features listed for your new pistol sound very nice. I wish you the best bringing it to market.

Sounds interesting!

I'm always open to innovation and without ever having someone with an idea to create something better we would still be carrying around rocks and clubs for protection.

I wish you luck in your endeavors to create a better firearm and I would like to see and hear more about your project as you near completion.

You left off one thing off of your list that you'll need to be successful in today's market: affordability. That's one reason today's polymer, striker-fired guns are so popular today because they cost less to make and are easier to produce than your average 1911.

Last edited:
The 1911 will only become obsolete when ammo companies stop making ammo to shoot in it!

In 1990 Colt introduced the Colt 2000. It was a aluminum-alloy framed semiautomatic, 9 mm handgun with a magazine capacity of 15 rounds. Colt had hoped that it would be popular with police departments as they switched from double-action revolvers to semiautomatic pistols. However, the pistol was plagued with reports of inaccuracy and unreliability, and was eventually dropped form the line.
58-ALL%20AMERICAN%20MODEL%202000-PF08329-1.jpg
I can’t help giggling, that one looks so communist bloc , Lol !
Never seen one before.

Browning got the ergonomics, power, and shootability perfectly into one package. It is why so many firearms used the 1911 as a model. Classic SIGs are patterned after the 1911. While absolutely dependable, the shortcoming of the Glock for example has always been ergonomics. The fight always comes down to speed, power, and accuracy, and that formula will not change. With proper training and practice, the 1911 will give you all three. I think the 1911 will endure until human physiology fundamentally changes.

Ummmm, ok, not exactly sure where this is going. I assume it's a wish list... if so, hope you find what you are looking for. Until then, the 1911 will do exactly like it has for 100 years, serve very well and take on all comers with ease.

It's demise, and obsolescence has been greatly exaggerated for many years.
A lightweight polymer/scandium handgun will be easier to carry than a 1911. A new operating system will better manage recoil from higher pressure cartridges than a 1911. So if you want an easier to carry, more powerful handgun, you may have to leave the 1911 behind when my new handgun hits the market.

Back