testtest

Carrying a full size handgun? Do you do IWB or OWB?

1580774627096.jpeg

Yea, kinda hard to conceal this, but I use OWB.......

I've carried a full size 1911 a lot in an IWB holster, but not sure if I switched to a "double stack" if I'd still want to do IWB. What do you all carry, and how? Are "thicker" guns than the 1911 too much for all-day IWB carry?
I carry a S&W M&P9 2.0 Subcompact IWB in a Concealment Express Kydex Holster. The thickness isn’t typically the issue for me, it’s the height of the gun. I am 5’6” and 150 lbs, so any pistol that has a height greater than 5” will print for me. I would avoid carrying OWB in public places unless you’re law enforcement. It draws attention and makes you a target for criminals.

Almost all the time in a IWB T&T Gunleater Mike's Special. It's a VMII clone that is a little lighter, sits a little lower, and to me a slightly better cant. On a VERY rare winter day where I do a lot of driving and I want to feel like Mike Hammer, if you don't know who that is you should be ashamed, I put on a shoulder holster.

Depends on how I'm feeling that day, or the time of year as well as the pants I'm wearing that day. If I'm wearing a 36", it's OWB, a 38" IWB. I always carry in the same location, right about 4:30 with a strong forward cant.

The real question is, what is it called when there's no waistband?
boot carry.jpg

Almost all the time I carry a double stack IWB with a T&T Gunleather Mike's Special. It is a VMII clone that is a little lighter that sits slightly lower with IMO a better cant. I at 2:00 all the time with a loose fitting out shirt.

On rare occasions I carry my P365 with a Don Hume leather clip on IWB. While I love the P365 I still prefer a larger gun. Then there is the almost never shoulder holster day or OWB day. The OWB is a DeSantis Speed Scabard.

Except for my new 1911 RO I have no full size handguns. I tried IWB when I first started carrying and didn’t like it. I’m not thin waisted but don’t have the extra around my hip area to be comfortable.
For me right now and the foreseeable future it’s OWB on my right hip.
I will say I’ve started carrying an extra mag pouch on my left as things in this current climate have gotten stressful.

I prefer aiwb for concealment for all seasons, I have grown to love my Tier 1 concealed Axis Elite holsters. I use these up to Glock 19 size pistols and revert back to owb for my G-17 and 1911 size pistols.

I carry my G19 and Masada both OWB in kydex, no lights though so they adhere nicely to the body. I just wear a flannel that's long enough to conceal the length. The Masada I run has an RMR on it and does not print with the right clothing.

I might have a slightly different opinion. I have both compacts and full size. Both in which are single and double stack. To be honest, I carry a full size double stack IWB 99.9% of the time. My reasoning is this:
The compacts are just that. And they are single stack and ride super close to my body. On paper this sounds awesome. Deep concealment right? But.... When I train and do pistol presentations, the single stack pistols are harder for me to grab in the same speed as the full size double stack pistols. I prefer the double stack full size for the obvious above mentioned. Being able to access it quickly. And with some research I have found some holsters that offer deep concealment with my full size weapons. As well as a quality belt that does not sag with the weight of the full size pistol. But also prefer the full size double stack because they simply hold more rounds. And if I can wear a pistol that has a larger capacity and go undetected in public, that's a win win. And I've never known gang bangers / criminals to operate alone. So to me, capacity matters.

I carry my XDM 4.5 " & 5.25 " in the IWB CROSS BREED HOLSTER but I must wear a shirt with tails or a vest to keep it from printing .when I am Fishing & Hunting I open carry in a Paddle Holster focus , and the holster that came with the pistol . I did try to edc carry the XDM 4.5" for two years in the Cross Breed but it's not comfortable,.

I mostly carry OWB with my XD mod 2. I don't really like IWB much. I'm a big guy so it's easy for me to conceal OWB.

I mostly carry IWB but If I carry OWB I will have my Springfield XDM 10mm 4.5 in a Sig Tac retention holster while in the woods. I will be ordering a Alien Cloak chest rig soon, I've seen some decent reviews recently on YouTube with that Rig. I want to see how comfortable it is to wear while MTN biking on my Davinci Django 29r.

I've been looking into those too. But I don't know if it'll support red dot sights.

I carry the Springfield Armory XDE .45 or the Springfield Armory Hell Cat 9mm in an Urban Carry G-3 Holster and it's more comfortable than the Cross Breed IWB I did carry the Springfield Armory XDM 4.5." Full-Size 9mm in IWB .the Urban Carry G3 Holster can be seen with shorts and a polo shirt or Jeans and a Tee-Shirt.and its comfortable .read the owner's manual or it won't work for you. The longer you wear the urban carry the softer the leather gets, You should practice at the range drawing your weapon and shooting it. Practice drawing in front of a mirror with an empty firearm with dry fire caps.

Back