testtest

Carrying a full size handgun? Do you do IWB or OWB?

308Lover

Operator
Founding Member
I've carried a full size 1911 a lot in an IWB holster, but not sure if I switched to a "double stack" if I'd still want to do IWB. What do you all carry, and how? Are "thicker" guns than the 1911 too much for all-day IWB carry?

I mostly carry IWB but If I carry OWB I will have my Springfield XDM 10mm 4.5 in a Sig Tac retention holster while in the woods. I will be ordering a Alien Cloak chest rig soon, I've seen some decent reviews recently on YouTube with that Rig. I want to see how comfortable it is to wear while MTN biking on my Davinci Django 29r.

I find this to be a little uncomfortable carrying iwb appendix
10563A3A-DF91-44C4-8D4E-E1EF409A3F95.jpeg

I carry an XD 45 compact (double stack 4" barrel) in a concealment express kydex IWB holster at 3 o'clock, when I'm not carrying my XDs, with no issues all day. I have carried my XD9 full size this way as well a few times. To make it more comfortable, going up a waist size in pants helps, as well as a good belt. One of those things that varries person to person though.

I have a XD9 mod2 4.0 with threaded barrel that I IWB appendix carry daily. Do use OWB ocasionally when target shooting.

I have started using a Sig P938 that I appendix carry riding my Salsa gravel bike when temperature rises or group riding.

I have in past and will in the future appendix carried the XD9 in belly band when riding in desolate areas due to expanded ammo capacity.

So, if you are used to carrying a 1911, I cannot see a full size XD-M being much different. The XD-M in 9mm is 1.18" for the grip, 1.26" for .45. I carry a XD-M 3.8" Compact 9mm (sadly discontinued) both OWB and IWB, and have a XD-M 5.25 that fits the same holsters. I can carry the longer gun but risk printing mostly to the extra inch in the grip. And the extra barrel length risks exposure unless wearing a jacket. I tried the 5.25" barrel IWB one time, and it was too much barrel in my jeans! ;)

I've carried a full size 1911 a lot in an IWB holster, but not sure if I switched to a "double stack" if I'd still want to do IWB. What do you all carry, and how? Are "thicker" guns than the 1911 too much for all-day IWB carry?
Imo I personally hate carrying full size and I even loathe carrying my p365 I have yet to find a good position to carry iwb I usually go appendix though

I've carried a full size TRP for many years in an IWB Milt Sparks Versa Max2, and it's very comfortable. I've also carried a .45 XD in the same type of rig from Milt Sparks and found it to be very comfortable. So, for me, it's IWB all the way. It just makes concealing it so much easier.

In the winter I carry my Glock 21 with a TLR-1 in an OWB holster because it is easy to keep covered but it would be too much for IWB. I have issues with many IWB holsters so I like to carry OWB as much as I can. Most days it's a Glock 43 or 19 depending on what I want to wear. I have both IWB and OWB holsters for both. Looking to give the Hellcat a try. Think it could be a good replacement for the 43 and 19. Would have the small size to conceal everyday but also have the capacity. If I find I don't like the Hellcat I might pickup a 43X just to fill in the gap between the 43 and 19. Maybe one of these days the range will get a Hellcat on the rental rack or a friend will pick one up I can try

Back