testtest

Carrying a full size handgun? Do you do IWB or OWB?

I'm not sure what you mean by "From the front" ? If you mean appendix carry, I don't recommend that for anyone regardless of size, although plenty of people do it.

Some suggestions.

Carry in an IWB anywhere from 3-5 o:clock. Buy pants a size larger than you normally wear. Wrangler makes jeans that are infused with spandex that stretch. They are comfortable and you can buy them in your normal size. They're about $20 at WalMart.
Carry OWB in the same position and wear a flannel or button up shirt to cover it.
Carry OWB cross draw. That is put your holster on your left side between 10 and 11 o:clock
Carry in a shoulder holster cross draw.

In all cases use a quality gun belt and train at the range so you are proficient at quickly and safely drawing your weapon.

I'm not sure what you mean by "From the front" ? If you mean appendix carry, I don't recommend that for anyone regardless of size, although plenty of people do it.

Some suggestions.

Carry in an IWB anywhere from 3-5 o:clock. Buy pants a size larger than you normally wear. Wrangler makes jeans that are infused with spandex that stretch. They are comfortable and you can buy them in your normal size. They're about $20 at WalMart.
Carry OWB in the same position and wear a flannel or button up shirt to cover it.
Carry OWB cross draw. That is put your holster on your left side between 10 and 11 o:clock
Carry in a shoulder holster cross draw.

In all cases use a quality gun belt and train at the range so you are proficient at quickly and safely drawing your weapon.

I’ll carry a J-frame appendix—but I have a VERY specific regimen for holstering when I do. In short—pistol goes into holster, then holster is clipped inside the waistband.

I do like how it very well conceals the pistol when wearing pretty much anything, and I’d actually pretty comfortable once you get used to it.

But I definitely don’t recommend it to someone new to carry.

I’ll carry a J-frame appendix—but I have a VERY specific regimen for holstering when I do. In short—pistol goes into holster, then holster is clipped inside the waistband.

I do like how it very well conceals the pistol when wearing pretty much anything, and I’d actually pretty comfortable once you get used to it.

But I definitely don’t recommend it to someone new to carry.

I've seen people do it and it is true that access is pretty dang quick. I've always subscribed to the theory " Don't point the Glock at the **** ". True I don't like or own Glocks, but it rhymes and the theory still holds water for me.

I've seen people do it and it is true that access is pretty dang quick. I've always subscribed to the theory " Don't point the Glock at the **** ". True I don't like or own Glocks, but it rhymes and the theory still holds water for me.

Which is why I’ll only carry a DAO revolver in that position—and in a good holster, to boot.

Fact is...if you carry IWB in the 4:00 position or so, and have a spare tire...you probably muzzle your femoral artery more than you’d like to think about. But nobody gets excited about it, unlike appendix...

Which is why I’ll only carry a DAO revolver in that position—and in a good holster, to boot.

Fact is...if you carry IWB in the 4:00 position or so, and have a spare tire...you probably muzzle your femoral artery more than you’d like to think about. But nobody gets excited about it, unlike appendix...

At 4:00 ? Isn't your femoral artery running down the front of your leg, kinda on the inside?

In the winter I carry my Glock 21 with a TLR-1 in an OWB holster because it is easy to keep covered but it would be too much for IWB. I have issues with many IWB holsters so I like to carry OWB as much as I can. Most days it's a Glock 43 or 19 depending on what I want to wear. I have both IWB and OWB holsters for both. Looking to give the Hellcat a try. Think it could be a good replacement for the 43 and 19. Would have the small size to conceal everyday but also have the capacity. If I find I don't like the Hellcat I might pickup a 43X just to fill in the gap between the 43 and 19. Maybe one of these days the range will get a Hellcat on the rental rack or a friend will pick one up I can try
I have both 43x and the 19 and don’t care for either, weird grip angle

My main gripe about Glocks.
You are 1 of those who dial 1 before calling 911 and I don't a wrist that will let me hold 1 of those weird angle grip guns. 1911 (45acp) style handgun was the 2nd gun purchase that I had made. Thought the 45acp was a terrible cartridge until I bought a GLOCK21. I don't have any compact, subcompact or micro guns. All of them would have a weird grip regardless of make.

I've carried everything from a Browning High Power to XD service size guns IWB without any problem. You dress around the gun even with a spare tire. Carrying doesn't have to be comfortable just Comforting. OWB is easier to carry just harder to dress around.

You are 1 of those who dial 1 before calling 911 and I don't a wrist that will let me hold 1 of those weird angle grip guns. 1911 (45acp) style handgun was the 2nd gun purchase that I had made. Thought the 45acp was a terrible cartridge until I bought a GLOCK21. I don't have any compact, subcompact or micro guns. All of them would have a weird grip regardless of make.
Not sure I understand what your point is. I got a few 1911s. 45 ACP is a fine cartridge. Takes about 6 of them to completely cut a treated 4x4 in half. My EDCs are M&P Shields. I went to several stores fully intending on buying a Glock. None of them felt right in my hand. Bought an XDMod 2 instead.
The fact is pistols are tools. The Shields aren’t range toys, they’re for one specific purpose. I drill with them at the range between 7 feet and 15 yards and generally with a timer. I don’t feel the need to screw with the stock triggers because frankly I don’t really care about reset or trigger pull or take up on a carry gun. I shoot them extremely well inside 20 yards and those are the ones I have on me every day while I’m working in the ghetto.

The 1911s almost never get carried and certainly never at work. They all have smooth as silk action and fantastic triggers.
I’m sure Glocks are great guns. Plenty of people say so. Reliable, accurate worthy of trusting your life to. They just don’t do it for me.

Not sure I understand what your point is. I got a pile of 1911s. 45 ACP is a fine cartridge. Takes about 6 of them to completely cut a treated 4x4 in half. My EDCs are M&P Shields. I went to several stores fully intending on buying a Glock. None of them felt right in my hand. Bought an XDMod 2 instead.
The fact is pistols are tools. The Shields aren’t range toys, they’re for one specific purpose. I drill with them at the range between 7 feet and 15 yards and generally with a timer. I don’t feel the need to screw with the stock triggers because frankly I don’t really care about reset or trigger pull or take up on a carry gun. I shoot them extremely well inside 20 yards and those are the ones I have on me every day while I’m working in the ghetto.

The 1911s almost never get carried and certainly never at work. They all have smooth as silk action and fantastic triggers.
I’m sure Glocks are great guns. Plenty of people say so. Reliable, accurate worthy of trusting your life to. They just don’t do it for me.
Not a point just a statement for the 1911 style guns don't work for me as in grip angle. It had nothing to do with reliability or accuracy. My g21 is very accurate and reliable. All of my glocks are accurate and reliable in my hands. Not sure about other people's hands? 1911s are beautiful guns! If they would work for me it could be nice?

Not a point just a statement for the 1911 style guns don't work for me as in grip angle. It had nothing to do with reliability or accuracy. My g21 is very accurate and reliable. All of my glocks are accurate and reliable in my hands. Not sure about other people's hands? 1911s are beautiful guns! If they would work for me it could be nice?
That XD Mod2 service model works dam well in my hands. Once I felt it and shot it those Glocks weren’t even a consideration. I really wanted to love a Glock believe me. They look cool AF.

I typically carry my Hellcat in an OWB, left hand holster from "Blackhill's" leather. Before I got my Hellcat, believe it or not my favorite carry gun was my Kel Tek PF9, also in an OWB, left hand holster from the same maker. In fact if it's real hot weather out and I'm dressing in really lightweight shirts, I'll still opt for my PF9 since it's a tad smaller OA, and a single stack mag and grip. It rides a little higher on my hip/belt and lays a little closer to my waist. It doesn't, or hardly ever prints even if I'm wearing a light weight T-shirt. To be totally honest, I've never found an IWB holster I liked or felt good wearing.

Hope it's OK that I mentioned my holster maker?????

regards,
jumpinjoe

May I ask a question, instead of a reply?

I am new to concealed carry and have some questions I would like to ask.
I am a right hand dominate shooter, but I have never carried a pistol concealed.
I usually just have in the car with me. So now, I purchased a Springfield XD
Subcompact, with a double stack magazine. I like the way it fits my hand and it
shoots every time I pull the trigger. Now too the question I have; like a few older men
when we retire, I have gained some weight and carrying in the front is very
uncomfortable to me, so I have decided to carry from the back.
Do you think it is as good as from the front or should I think about carrying from another
place, namely the side or on the leg? Being right hand dominate, could I order a
left hand holster and have it to where the butt of the gun is, of course, facing the right?

Sorry for the lead-up to the question, I know I am sort of long winded.
God Bless Ya'll
You've already received some really good advice from a few guys here and I don't think I can offer anything other than what they already have ..... except I'm a full fledged left hander and might be able to offer a little bit from another POV.

I've tried about every possible carry position there is at one time or another, but I always come back to basically where I started. I carry high on the belt, left side, forward cant, OWB, at the 10-11 oclock position. I think the key is for all of us carrying a little extra weight around the middle, is the high carry and forward cant.

In the holsters I wear the most with either my PF9 or my Hellcat, the trigger guard is placed just about at the belt level. Not above the belt, not lower than the belt, but just about directly over the belt. That height, along with sufficient cant will allow for me to carry either of these small pistols with little to no printing. Wearing the gun just in front of the middle (front to back) of my torso lays the forward tilting grip right into my "extra weight", if you know what I mean. It's very comfortable in a short time.

For reference I'll give this explanation .... on a pair of regular, boot cut, Wrangler jeans, the holster rides between the first and second belt loop on my left side. Once my pants are on and buckled up, I slide the holster as far to the front, next to the back side of the first belt loop as I can. Then I holster the gun and make sure it's in firmly. In all the different ways I've tried over the years, this has always worked for me. This way also makes it a little harder to get my hand in my left front pocket, so I make certain to not carry anything I might need in a hurry in that pocket. Now, I'll admit I have worn it in ways that might have allowed a little faster draw, but not by much. Certainly not anything that rode behind the center line, front to back, of my torso. I'm willing to give up that little bit, if any, draw speed in order to be comfortable and undetectable. And I'm hoping to never be in a quick draw contest. Hopefully situational awareness will make up for any lack of speed. But that's just me!

Now, I've also tried wearing it on my right side (appendix) with a custom built left handed holster with reverse cant. You'll have to plan for this if you decide to wear a right handed holster on your left side because the normal cant will be backwards if using a standard right hand holster for cross draw. Keep that in mind.

Consider all the info you've gotten here tonight. Try as many as you can by borrowing various holsters as possible before making up your mind. Most likely you'll eventually end up like most of us and end up with a box full of various holsters before you finally settle on one in particular. No shame in that as long as you can keep the wife from knowing how many you've bought and chosen not to use over time. I just let my extras get dirty/dusty and then swear ... "Honey, I've had those old things forever", "don't you remember when 'so & so' gave that one to me"? It'll work most of the time, but when it doesn't, that'll be when the fight begins! But the good thing is by then you'll likely have found the right combo for you. Good luck!

regards,
jumpinjoe

You've already received some really good advice from a few guys here and I don't think I can offer anything other than what they already have ..... except I'm a full fledged left hander and might be able to offer a little bit from another POV.

I've tried about every possible carry position there is at one time or another, but I always come back to basically where I started. I carry high on the belt, left side, forward cant, OWB, at the 10-11 oclock position. I think the key is for all of us carrying a little extra weight around the middle, is the high carry and forward cant.

In the holsters I wear the most with either my PF9 or my Hellcat, the trigger guard is placed just about at the belt level. Not above the belt, not lower than the belt, but just about directly over the belt. That height, along with sufficient cant will allow for me to carry either of these small pistols with little to no printing. Wearing the gun just in front of the middle (front to back) of my torso lays the forward tilting grip right into my "extra weight", if you know what I mean. It's very comfortable in a short time.

For reference I'll give this explanation .... on a pair of regular, boot cut, Wrangler jeans, the holster rides between the first and second belt loop on my left side. Once my pants are on and buckled up, I slide the holster as far to the front, next to the back side of the first belt loop as I can. Then I holster the gun and make sure it's in firmly. In all the different ways I've tried over the years, this has always worked for me. This way also makes it a little harder to get my hand in my left front pocket, so I make certain to not carry anything I might need in a hurry in that pocket. Now, I'll admit I have worn it in ways that might have allowed a little faster draw, but not by much. Certainly not anything that rode behind the center line, front to back, of my torso. I'm willing to give up that little bit, if any, draw speed in order to be comfortable and undetectable. And I'm hoping to never be in a quick draw contest. Hopefully situational awareness will make up for any lack of speed. But that's just me!

Now, I've also tried wearing it on my right side (appendix) with a custom built left handed holster with reverse cant. You'll have to plan for this if you decide to wear a right handed holster on your left side because the normal cant will be backwards if using a standard right hand holster for cross draw. Keep that in mind.

Consider all the info you've gotten here tonight. Try as many as you can by borrowing various holsters as possible before making up your mind. Most likely you'll eventually end up like most of us and end up with a box full of various holsters before you finally settle on one in particular. No shame in that as long as you can keep the wife from knowing how many you've bought and chosen not to use over time. I just let my extras get dirty/dusty and then swear ... "Honey, I've had those old things forever", "don't you remember when 'so & so' gave that one to me"? It'll work most of the time, but when it doesn't, that'll be when the fight begins! But the good thing is by then you'll likely have found the right combo for you. Good luck!

regards,
jumpinjoe
Great advice thanks for sharing! 😁

I've carried everything from a Browning High Power to XD service size guns IWB without any problem. You dress around the gun even with a spare tire. Carrying doesn't have to be comfortable just Comforting. OWB is easier to carry just harder to dress around.
Browning Hi-Power 9mm, yet another on my list of handguns I want. Back in 1992, I bought my first handgun, a Beretta 92FS 9mm but the other choice was the Browning Hi-Power. Never regretted buying the Beretta, but still have always wanted to come back to the Browning at some point.

Last edited:
Back