testtest

Carrying at Work

Maryland (the People's Republik) is strange (as if you didn't already know). We're a may-issue state, and they require a "good and substantial" reason to get a carry permit. 9 times out of 10...that means "for your job". "Self Defense" is absolutely NOT a consideration here. Which was weird, because that was what PA (a mile from my front door) WANTS to see on a carry permit application. In PA, "for work" means only if you are a security guard or other armed profession.

Many locations and businesses will post "no firearms" on the doors, but here in MD those signs do not have force of law. You can be asked to leave, but not prosecuted. The only places that do have force of law are state houses, courthouses, military bases, and jails. And in MD we are NOT required to voluntarily disclose our carry status during a traffic stop or any other police interactions (except, obviously, a shooting incident).

"For your job", in the words on the back of my permit, includes "any work on-site or off, performed for the business". That includes networking meetings, meal meetings, transport to/from jobs, equipment transportation, working on my rental properties, inspecting my rental properties, etc. In the words of one of the officers involved in my interview process..."you have a sound company? Keep a broken speaker in the car." The range I frequent prefers we not conceal-carry but they know the law and they can't stop us...so all they ask is courtesy. Keep it holstered until you're at the firing bench.

Basically for my daily life...it's "don't ask, don't tell". My XDs tucks away nicely...although I think I will check out some of those shirts posted above, as well.

2 cents. I carry everywhere that it is permitted by state law within the realm of my carry license. If any place I am free to travel does not provide armed security there, I will take it upon myself to do that for me and my loved ones. We are always susceptible to the creepers around us that prey on others. Be prepare; Stay alive.

I am retired now, so carrying at work is not an issue. My thinking is, though, that if you have a permit to carry but your employer prohibits it, then that employer has an obligation to be sure you are not attacked with a gun in the office, on the job or in the parking lot. If you are attacked and injured, then you should be able to sue them to recover damages that may not have occurred but for their policy. My $0.02 worth, although it probably would not hold up in court.

There are actually bills on the table to do just that - hold the management of a "gun free zone" liable for damages that could have been prevented.

Write your congressman.

I work at a hospital where policy dictates no weapons allowed on the premises (unless you’re security or LE). Now, this policy is not a state law, meaning it is not illegal to carry in the hospital, but those who decide to carry a weapon for self defense would be at risk of losing their job. For me, I have a very good job, and feel the risk does not outweigh the benefit of carrying, thus, I do not carry at work. Does anyone else fall into a similar situation, or are you permitted to carry at work?
First look at the doors to your hospital entrance is there any sign that says no firearms allowed? If there is you cant carry by law. Well, are you in a work environment where the danger of being a victim of violence from a co-worker or outside actor is highly likely if so you then must ask yourself what's more important yours or another life or your Job. If I worked in a convenience store I would be packing! I wonder if the people killed in mass shootings ever wished they carried their gun to work the day the angry democrat burst in opening fire and killing several because the democrat policymaker was an anti-gun democrat and wanted to restrict your second amendment right to defend yourself or others. Choice is yours I carry 24/7 365 and our Church is pro-second amendment our pastor and just about one in 5 has a firearm & license to carry.

Last edited:
First look at the doors to your hospital entrance is there any sign that says no firearms allowed? If there is you cant carry by law. Well, are you in a work environment where the danger of being a victim of violence from a co-worker or outside actor is highly likely if so you then must ask yourself what's more important yours or another life or your Job. If I worked in a convenience store I would be packing! I wonder if the people killed in mass shootings ever wished they carried their gun to work the day the angry democrat burst in opening fire and killing several because the democrat policymaker was an anti-gun democrat and wanted to restrict your second amendment right to defend yourself or others. Choice is yours I carry 24/7 365 and our Church is pro-second amendment our pastor and just about one in 5 has a firearm & license to carry.

"I wonder if the people killed in mass shootings ever wished they carried their gun to work....."

Well, you can stop wondering in the case of the Virginia Beach "silencer" shooting, where Kate Nixon (one of the female victims), discussed that very option with her husband the night before she was eventually killed. Now with the recent anti 2A laws passed in Virginia, not only could she have potentially lost her job (had she lived), but also have been charged with a criminal offense.

"I wonder if the people killed in mass shootings ever wished they carried their gun to work....."

Well, you can stop wondering in the case of the Virginia Beach "silencer" shooting, where Kate Nixon (one of the female victims), discussed that very option with her husband the night before she was eventually killed. Now with the recent anti 2A laws passed in Virginia, not only could she have potentially lost her job (had she lived), but also have been charged with a criminal offense.

The Country is being destroyed by them so-called anti-guns who are even gun owners themself!they want you disarmed but will never give up theirs.

[If there is you cant carry by law.]

Incorrect.

SOME states, yes, but not all. Some states, those signs carry force of law. Some states, they do not.

Maryland, for instance, they do NOT. I can be asked to leave a property for carrying my firearm, but I cannot be arrested for it.

Know your laws.

Incorrect.

SOME states, yes, but not all. Some states, those signs carry force of law. Some states, they do not.

Maryland, for instance, they do NOT. I can be asked to leave a property for carrying my firearm, but I cannot be arrested for it.

Know your laws.
Same here in Texas. The signs 30-06 & 30-07 prohibit the carry of the firearm however it is only an arrest able offense if you were presented in writing to leave and not come back with a firearm. However this must come from the highest member of management not just any employee.

I work at a hospital where policy dictates no weapons allowed on the premises (unless you’re security or LE). Now, this policy is not a state law, meaning it is not illegal to carry in the hospital, but those who decide to carry a weapon for self defense would be at risk of losing their job. For me, I have a very good job, and feel the risk does not outweigh the benefit of carrying, thus, I do not carry at work. Does anyone else fall into a similar situation, or are you permitted to carry at work?
Not an issue at work since I'm long retired. However, it is similar to the 'rules' where I live. As with you, it's certainly no state law/statute and is not regularly asked of anyone here. These rules are much like the stop signs placed all throughout most parking lots of public spaces. Those signs are not required nor supported by law, they are only requested actions by the property owners. Which means you will not be ticketed by LEO for running one of them, but you very well may be asked to never come on the property again under threat of trespassing.

BTW, it's only good sense to respect these signs for the protection of the general public who typically walk around a parking lot with their face stuck in their smart phones never looking up to see where they're walking.:cool:

Anyway, I rarely choose to carry in the complex where I live due to the inherent reasonable security of the facility. The warden and all the guards are pretty strict about us carrying here in the joint! (only kidding). Well, kidding about the 'joint', I'm actually married to the 'warden! Y'all know what I mean? LOL!

Always choose wisely whether or not to carry wherever you are. Much better to have it and not need it ... than to need it and not have it!

regards,
jumpinjoe

Incorrect.

Know your laws.
Maryland now that a gun-friendly state! :LOL: In South Carolina & Georgia its the Law if they have a sticker No Gun/weapons are allowed, On All federal Property even if you have a CWP issued by the state you are not allowed to carry on their property! example is Post Office, VA Hospitals, Federal building, etc. if they have a sicker I just avoid doing business with them an avoid them places . To me, those signs are an invitation to Criminal Shooters, and Terrorists are welcome here signs.

Last edited:

Virginia you all have that nut job Nazi dictator Democrat Governor who suffers from mental illness in charge!

Virginia you all have that nut job Nazi dictator Democrat Governor who suffers from mental illness in charge!
I’m afraid it’s going to take some time to undo what he and the Virginia legislative body have done to hurt gun rights. I’m lucky I don’t live In that State.

Just a quick add to my msg #30 above. My 'warden' is actually not ever a problem regarding my CCW since she has known me and my love and respect of firearms for more than 50 years, not to mention she also carries and is more than capable with it.

But something I should have added to the previous msg #30 is that I'm a firm believer and supporter of "States Rights" and the ultimate right of the various states to make and enforce their own laws. However, I always offer this exception .... that is where a constitutionally guaranteed right is affected. And CCW, acknowledging that it is protected by the 2nd amendment should be a 'Federal' statute. In other words, if you are permitted a CCW in one state, due to the 'Federally guaranteed 2nd amendment' you should be provided CCW status in any of the 50 states. There is absolutely no viable argument for any other circumstance except the ignorance, arrogance, and often progressive attitudes of many gov't officials.

As ignorant and unacceptable as it is for one state to believe you competent and worthy to CCW in your state, how can it be justified or even legitimately argued that simply crossing a state line makes you incapable and/or unworthy? But that's what we currently have.

Or on an even more obvious circumstance, how can it be justified that you are deemed capable by 'your' state to CCW, until you cross some imaginary line at the door of the local court house, or school, or any other gov't building, or the really ignorant one of being within 1,000 ft of a school yard. Does that indicate they believe you to be totally competent outside the door of those named buildings, but totally incompetent once you step through the door? Or at the 1,000 ft mark from a school yard, you're perfectly OK, however, if you take one step into that 999 ft distance you are a threat. How can anyone justify that simple example of insanity found in some/many levels of our gov't?

These are the kinds of things that should be considered by everyone, either 'pro/con' next time we all go to the polls.

Just something really simple to ponder y'all!

regards,
jumpinjoe

Here in Illinois our gun buster signs have force of law backing them. Thankfully down here on the South end of the state we don't have many . Mostly Dr's offices and hospitals.

Back