testtest

Carrying at Work

LicensedToPill

Operator
I work at a hospital where policy dictates no weapons allowed on the premises (unless you’re security or LE). Now, this policy is not a state law, meaning it is not illegal to carry in the hospital, but those who decide to carry a weapon for self defense would be at risk of losing their job. For me, I have a very good job, and feel the risk does not outweigh the benefit of carrying, thus, I do not carry at work. Does anyone else fall into a similar situation, or are you permitted to carry at work?

Last edited:
I am in the exact same situation. We have signage that no firearms are allowed, so they could ask you to leave the premises if you had one. However, if you are an employee, the policy clearly states that you will lose your job. I do not carry at work either.

Yeah. Unfortunately while I am well paid, my employers don't feel that even though I am in a very dangerous work environment ( two of my co-workers, one of whom was my life long best friend were shot to death on the job in April of 2017) I should be afforded the luxury of arming myself for my own defense. To their credit they do not vigorously enforce anything, but you would be jeopardizing your job if the wrong person saw you. This is where those AC Undercover shirts I posted a link to in another thread are handy. My family and myself prefer I remain alive even if unemployed.

I have 5 of these and they do not print under my uniform shirt, which is a button up work shirt.

I am an educator, so carrying is an absolute no go. They still allow me to have my weapon in my vehicle since I have a permit.

My concern is if a situation were to arise that warranted retrieving it, even with the SROs support, I would be fired and charged with a crime even if lives were saved.

I am an educator, so carrying is an absolute no go. They still allow me to have my weapon in my vehicle since I have a permit.

My concern is if a situation were to arise that warranted retrieving it, even with the SROs support, I would be fired and charged with a crime even if lives were saved.

I'm not sure you could be charged with a crime. I suppose it depends on your state laws. At some point you have to weigh what is more important your job or your life/ someone else's life.

Same as LicensedtoPill, so, same, I do not carry while at work.

I think the most important lesson I learned from Varg Freeborn was that of "mission."

My mission is to protect my family above all else. Being unemployed - and perhaps unemployable - would drastically endanger that mission if not fail it outright.

I do concrete work so its hard for me to carry. My boss don't care if I do or not. If I have to go to a bad place I carry in my pocket. Once I got pulled over in a bad place and the cop ran my DL and than asked me if I was packing, I said no ( here in PA you have to tell the cop first thing) He then said why not.

I've had two jobs where I was able to carry while at work. The first place was while working for the bird dog trainer I mentioned in the bragging thread. I carried a Ruger Security-Six .357mag. in a Bianchi X-15 shoulder holster. The other place was in a bad part of town where we rebuilt Sheaves ( some call them pulleys ) for drag lines. I carried a 9MM Ruger in a Galco IWB .

I don't know of any DA that would charge you for defending and saving lives of innocent children. Grant it, when the police arrive you had better have your weapon holstered and arms in the air. The responding officers don't know if your a threat, so expect to be treated like you are until they sort it out.

Currently I work from a home office for a company in Orlando, and the corporate policy says specifically no fire-arms on the premises. Doesn't apply to me most of the time, as I've been in the office literally once in 3 years. If I worked in the office and lived down there, I probably would just leave it in my car while in the office, rather than risk my employment and my families livelihood.

My previous job I carried my Ruger LCP every day of 5 years, and if I went somewhere that didn't allow it during the day (court house, etc), left it in the car. I had to represent them in some patent related lawsuits, and the lawyers don't like guns in their offices either! ;)

The job before that was on a US Army base, in a US Army owned building, and you could not even have a handgun in the car, period, and it was just something you had to deal with. I bought the LCP when I had that job, and just basically had to leave it at home while at work. Interestingly, the base - Redstone Arsenal - will allow LONG guns or shotguns through the gate if you have a hunting license and are heading to either the skeet range or one of a few areas that are undeveloped where they allow deer hunting while in season.

My employer does not allow us to have them on property.

Here in Alabama, prohibition of firearms in your employers building cannot be extended to your vehicle in the parking lot, and CCW holders are allowed by law to keep their weapon in their car, in their employers parking lot. I imagine in most places unless you expect your employer to search your car, it would be a ‘don’t ask, don’t tell’ type thing. Just don’t be out in the parking lot gearing up and have it stowed and secure when you drive onto the premises.

That law doesn’t help of course if you work on a military base where they are not allowed through the gate.

Last edited:
Back