testtest

CCW for threats with more than two legs?

Steelers87

Alpha
Founding Member
I know we've all talked about defending against human threats, and also about threats like bears or wolves in the woods. But what about everyday four-legged threats like dogs? Is you CCW up to a rabid dog attack, or is it not worth worrying about? I'm not sure I'd want to go below a 9mm for something like that, or maybe even below a 10mm... Is this a realistic enough threat to change the way you CCW? What do you all think?

Maybe, it depends where you are going? I can't imagine a rabid dog coming at me! I guess I have mine updated on shots but not everyone does and they can't prevent everything I suppose. I know Cujo would have gone a lot differently had they had a gun.

1578950567618.png

Many pit bulls in my rural area. Sometimes they get loose. I carry a 9mm on my walks. I feel it is adequate for just in case.

I feel comfortable with my 9 or 45 for an everyday encounter with a 4 legged critter in my neighborhood. I will carry my 10mm or my 44mag carbine depending on the wilderness journey

We live in a semi-rural location, and at night sometimes the coyotes can be heard howling/yapping off in the distance. It's crossed my mind at times to carry the pistol when taking the dogs (Sheltie and a Shitzu) out at night. A decent-sized backyard is fenced-in, however, I've wondered if a coyote could leap over a 52" fence. The Sheltie roams the yard by himself, but I'm always outside with the Shitzu.

Maybe, it depends where you are going? I can't imagine a rabid dog coming at me! I guess I have mine updated on shots but not everyone does and they can't prevent everything I suppose. I know Cujo would have gone a lot differently had they had a gun.

View attachment 326
Yes but remember this is Stephen King we're talking about. Cujo would have just come back from the "Pet Cemetery" to continue his attack. :sneaky:

Cujo was to me what the Hitchcock shower scene was to women!!
I was watching every dog very closely.

I'm usually carrying a 9mm or .45, which I think would take care of dogs in the area. If hiking through the woods, then a 10mm with hard cast Buffalo Bore as below.

We live in a semi-rural location, and at night sometimes the coyotes can be heard howling/yapping off in the distance. It's crossed my mind at times to carry the pistol when taking the dogs (Sheltie and a Shitzu) out at night. A decent-sized backyard is fenced-in, however, I've wondered if a coyote could leap over a 52" fence. The Sheltie roams the yard by himself, but I'm always outside with the Shitzu.
The coyotes can definitely leap the fence. Seen them go over 5' block walls here in AZ

Unless they're REALLY hungry, they typically won't invade home-dogs space just out of territorial rules. I have a pug (snack morsel to a wild creature), but also have a reasonably mouthy husky mix, and equally mouthy border collie mix. We have bear, and judging by the noises some coyote...but if they get close and my guys smell 'em, they open up with the barking and everything stays outside the fence. At least, as long as food is plentiful (and judging by the dozen or so deer who are always congregating in my front yard when I get home...there's plenty out there!).

I think if I were carrying something like the Hellcat, i'd stoke it with +P ammo and be reasonably comfortable with my level of protection. Now, shot placement under stresss.... That's a whole nother ball of wax....

Unless you are expecting packs of feral dogs, coyotes or wolves to swarm you, just about any EDC I can imagine should take care of a dog just as easily as it would a 2 legged attacker.

If you live in an area where you expect to go walking and run into packs of wild dogs, then I think you need that new 22+1 round XDM Elite on your hip, with several spare mags!

Where I live, coyotes are all over. When I walk my dogs around my property, they are leashed to hopefully avoid a confrontation, but I'm always carrying a 9mm just in case there is a hungry, brave coyote that likes the looks of my little Jack-a-beas (Jack Russel/Beagle)!

We live in a small town, but there are a lot of pit bulls in our neighborhood, and folks tend to let them run loose even though there is a city ordinance against that. We have also seen a fox trotting down our street. No coyotes yet. I carry on walks but if there was a big pack, I would have to count on one or two shots scaring the pack away. I think that would work okay, but hopefully won't have to find out.

In going through the neighborhood with the most loose dogs on my way to a river hike I have my titanium pointed hiking poles. I use them to hold off dogs when they come out on to the street, then sometimes the owner comes out to call it/them off.

I tell the owner if they bit me they're dead.

^ As a dog-lover, my only answer to that is that people really should be better dog-owners. If something that horrible has to come to pass, the dog-owner really has no-one to blame but him/herself.

-----

For me, the problem of shooting a dog is just how fast the sucker will be, and the angle of attack. If the dog is attacking either my dog or a companion, this becomes even more problematic.

Questions for the group: When was the last time you engaged moving targets? When was the last time you trained contact shots? Contact shots with our hands placed on the target?

Backdrop issues will also definitely need to be considered.

FWIW, I have not felt undergunned against dogs - but even our rather urban neighborhood ("inner ring" commuter suburb of Cleveland) still sees the occasional deer. My dog and I rounded the corner one night to come rather uncomfortably close to a large buck.....

Luckily, my dog is quite mild-mannered and controllable - so we elected to back away nice and calmly. :)

Last edited:
Back