testtest

Check Your Hex Optic Battery and How to Zero RDS

Great info,

Going to go test it right now.

I sent an email to SA customer support yesterday but haven't heard back.

Guess they are closed weekends and Labor Day.
Best to call them up, they still might be having email issues.

So,

They never answered the email and just got a chance to call today, and explained the issue.

They sent me a shipping receipt (via email I have to print out), and instructed to box up the Hex Wasp RDS and mail it in to them.

That they would take a look at it.

I asked if they were going to send me a replacement to use while my original was being shipped and looked at.

Their response was no, that I would be without the optic while mine was being shipped to them, while being tested out, and until they either send the original back or a new one.

Told them I was pretty disappointed in this, as I just bought this thing new on July 1st, 2021 and it was mainly to have an RDS.

I asked if they can send a replacement first so that I wouldn't have to be without one and they told me no.

Does this sound kosher?

Seems like if I bought this brand new and it is failing within 1-2 months of purchase, they should accomodate me and send a new one out first before having me send the bad one in.

What do you all think?

Standard procedure for the industry, @Redleg99 .

I've had optics that are much more expensive (Aimpoint, Trijicon) that saw the same type of warranty service.

My Aimpoint actually had to go back to Sweden, so that was close to 6 weeks that I was without that particular optic.

It's possible that a higher-level authorization (i.e. "speak to a manager") can have them make an exception for you, but I'd still say that it's unlikely, based on typical practices in the industry.

My Wasp, bought on 10-22-21, killed the battery in less than 4 weeks. The new battery just died again. Less than 3 weeks use. I emailed SA three times...not answering calls that I have made. Will try to call again on Monday.

My Wasp, bought on 10-22-21, killed the battery in less than 4 weeks. The new battery just died again. Less than 3 weeks use. I emailed SA three times...not answering calls that I have made. Will try to call again on Monday.
That's not good!

I actually have not sent in my Hex Wasp yet.

Since it was my EDC and they wouldn't send a replacement first, I intended on getting an IWB holster for my Walther PPQ 4".

That way I would carry the PPQ while the RDS from my RDP was sent in the Springfield Armory.

But alas, had a hard time finding one I Iiked, then Thanksgiving happened, rhen Xmas etc...

I kept checking my RDS every week and so far still working, but this battery has only been installed since Sept 5th, 2021.

That is 4 months.

If it lasts for another 2-3 months (for a total of 6-7 months), I'll reluctantly consider I had 2 bad batteries.

My only thought is that the first 2 were used during the hot Summer months, and I sweat considerably.

The slide would be wet by the end of the day, but I inspected the RDS and it seems air tight and water tight...so not sure if sweat did get in and ruin the battery? Or the heat?

Anyhow, never sent it in, or is that a bad move?

Should I send it on regardless?

I have something like 8 or 9 red dots on various firearms. I have yet to have a battery die in any of them. Once a year I replace them all regardless, but..... I only have one that doesn't have MOTAC ( Shake awake) and that is a Vortex Venom on a handgun. It is a range gun and I do NOT leave it on. Personally I would never have a red dot on any defensive firearm that wasn't shake awake, I don't care how long they "SAY" the battery will last.

So,

They never answered the email and just got a chance to call today, and explained the issue.

They sent me a shipping receipt (via email I have to print out), and instructed to box up the Hex Wasp RDS and mail it in to them.

That they would take a look at it.

I asked if they were going to send me a replacement to use while my original was being shipped and looked at.

Their response was no, that I would be without the optic while mine was being shipped to them, while being tested out, and until they either send the original back or a new one.

Told them I was pretty disappointed in this, as I just bought this thing new on July 1st, 2021 and it was mainly to have an RDS.

I asked if they can send a replacement first so that I wouldn't have to be without one and they told me no.

Does this sound kosher?

Seems like if I bought this brand new and it is failing within 1-2 months of purchase, they should accomodate me and send a new one out first before having me send the bad one in.

What do you all think?
I’m going to play the “Devil’s Advocate”
Someone calls Springfield Armory says there Hex Wasp stopped working, before I send mine back can you send me a new one?

If Springfield says yes and sends one out then the supposed bad one starts working now that individual has two for the price of one. How often do you think some people would send the replacement back? Now I’m not saying you wouldn’t but can you see where I’m going with this?

I’m going to play the “Devil’s Advocate”
Someone calls Springfield Armory says there Hex Wasp stopped working, before I send mine back can you send me a new one?

If Springfield says yes and sends one out then the supposed bad one starts working now that individual has two for the price of one. How often do you think some people would send the replacement back? Now I’m not saying you wouldn’t but can you see where I’m going with this?
I begged and pleaded with SA to send me a replacement first,as this was my EDC and would not have any RDS on the Hellcat while mine was"in the shop".

But they totally refused and said I had to send mine in for testing/inspection.

Also, not sure why everything is in bold font in the reply.

So, I know it has been quite a while, I never shipped in my Hex Wasp to be looked at.

Never found a holster that fit my PPQ 4" well enough that I could use it as an EDC while the Hellcat would be "out of commission".

That was about Sept 5th, 2021 that I placed the 3rd battery in, and it is now May 28th, 2022...that is 8 1/2 almost 9 months later and it is still working.

Sooo...seems unlikely, but appears I had 2 bad batteries, or perhaps it was sweat from the hot Summer months last year that was affecting something?

I'm sure I have the RDS mounting screws torqued down properly, but is it possible the tolerances of either the first 2 batteries were off on thickness, or the base of the Wasp, that excessive sweat could have been seeping in and killing the battery or interrupting the connection?

In the YouTube link below (about zeroing an RDS), they mention toward the end about this and could cause a flickering of the red dot. He suggested using a shim or piece of electrical tape to tighten the seal.

It is officially getting hot again where I live and will change out the battery again soon for good measure, and then see what happens over the next several hot Summer months.

And, circling back to some of the "zeroing an RDS" advice in the thread as well, what is your opinions to the method talked about in this link?

Many thanks!

So, I know it has been quite a while, I never shipped in my Hex Wasp to be looked at.

Never found a holster that fit my PPQ 4" well enough that I could use it as an EDC while the Hellcat would be "out of commission".

That was about Sept 5th, 2021 that I placed the 3rd battery in, and it is now May 28th, 2022...that is 8 1/2 almost 9 months later and it is still working.

Sooo...seems unlikely, but appears I had 2 bad batteries, or perhaps it was sweat from the hot Summer months last year that was affecting something?

I'm sure I have the RDS mounting screws torqued down properly, but is it possible the tolerances of either the first 2 batteries were off on thickness, or the base of the Wasp, that excessive sweat could have been seeping in and killing the battery or interrupting the connection?

In the YouTube link below (about zeroing an RDS), they mention toward the end about this and could cause a flickering of the red dot. He suggested using a shim or piece of electrical tape to tighten the seal.

It is officially getting hot again where I live and will change out the battery again soon for good measure, and then see what happens over the next several hot Summer months.

And, circling back to some of the "zeroing an RDS" advice in the thread as well, what is your opinions to the method talked about in this link?

Many thanks!

Good video and well presented, great information on POA versus POI
Using the “shim” I believe he’s referring to making sure the battery is in full contact with connections not so much as a “seal” against moisture.
I’m fortunate that changing the battery on my Holosun does not include removing the optic.

Good video and well presented, great information on POA versus POI
Using the “shim” I believe he’s referring to making sure the battery is in full contact with connections not so much as a “seal” against moisture.
I’m fortunate that changing the battery on my Holosun does not include removing the optic.
Yes, that is what I was meaning to say but didn't word it correctly, that a piece of electrical tape would act as a shim, to cause the surface of the battery to make better contact ...and also thereby with the battery and a piece of tape seems it would be making a tighter "seal" when torquing down the screws...which may help keeping out sweat/moisture if that has been the issue for me..

I'm still scratching my head over it.

Back