testtest

Cleaning Rod Comments...

I use screw together brass rods and bore snakes for cleaning and I've never had an issue.

Bore snakes do an exceptional job if used correctly for cleaning out your barrel though I've heard horror stories of people using them through hot barrels only to have the nylon rope melt to the interior of the barrel.

I'd caution anyone to stay away from the cheap aluminum rods as these are prone to bending and deformation. I've tried a set out I got from Walmart for cheap and it didn't last to long before it was totally useless.

Otis makes some nice kits as does Real Avid for most general cleaning.

Jfal, not sure what your rifle is, but if you go with the Bore Tech rod, I highly suggest you get a bore guide as well. Get the Proof Positive jag, nylon brushes and appropriately sized patches. I also recommend Bore Tech Eliminator as a do all solvent. If your shooting expensive rifles with expensive barrels spend the money on a proper cleaning kit. Top bench-rest shooters in the world use this stuff.

Carbon fiber rods flex too much and break. You could possibly injure yourself. I know it's happened. Pieced rods suck because they never line up correctly and can damage your bore.

Firearms cleaning has advanced lightyears, but the same guys buying all the new fancy bestest gear and guns are still using Hoppes #9 and a coat hanger with patches cut from worn out tighty whities. :unsure:

Not to beat a dead horse (clearly I am doing so), but it's a topic of discussion....this is better than scooping the catbox.

Is the value of a jag over a slotted patch holder the prevention of the slotted unit potentially scratching one's barrel? I bought a cheap AR-15 cleaning kit a few years ago that came with a brass slotted patch holder (tiny for .22). Seems a patch covers a jag completely...slotted holder is open to scratching. Of course the Hoppe's shotgun cleaning kit I've had since the 1980's has a slotted holder as well, but in a 12-gauge smooth bore, scratching is not much worry.

Sorry KillerFord, I truly enjoy reading the opinions of you guys, even if it's overthinking topics that are mundane...

Are the one piece rods more rigid than the screw togethers ?
Well I never have to keep tightening the sections.

Oh my god some of you guys are super puckered up in your britches. Cico7 is sad I used a rod and others are OMG it touched my bore, JC.
Those snakes may be liked but there is no way I'm going to keep dragging that dirty sucker back and forth. Those that say "just throw it in the washer" nope not happening!
The nice thing about a good SS rod is, grab a paper towel wipe off the rod done. No grit, no problem. Coated can embed grit, brass well that copper remover is eating it, aluminum well aluminum oxide is great for sandpaper.

For me SS is a great alternative smooth, clean up super easy between patch,or brush or end of cleaning. Wipe off hang up.

Not to beat a dead horse (clearly I am doing so), but it's a topic of discussion....this is better than scooping the catbox.

Is the value of a jag over a slotted patch holder the prevention of the slotted unit potentially scratching one's barrel? I bought a cheap AR-15 cleaning kit a few years ago that came with a brass slotted patch holder (tiny for .22). Seems a patch covers a jag completely...slotted holder is open to scratching. Of course the Hoppe's shotgun cleaning kit I've had since the 1980's has a slotted holder as well, but in a 12-gauge smooth bore, scratching is not much worry.

Sorry KillerFord, I truly enjoy reading the opinions of you guys, even if it's overthinking topics that are mundane...
I just wrap a patch around the brush.

No mucking about going from jag to brush to jag that way.

I just wrap a patch around the brush.

No mucking about going from jag to brush to jag that way.
Are you using cotton patches Hans?
I've done that in the past, I've found some patches on the market will embed themselves into the brush. It sucks to pick them out. These were the fibrous type of patch.
I also really like and are my new favorite are the Real Avid nickel plated brushes, jag and their patches for the jags. They really get into the nooks and crannies.

I couldn't tell you what brand I have, but they are .22 and not metal. I do wish they were shorter, though. A slotted brass tip isn't going to wear or scratch your barrel. I use the slotted tip, assorted brushes and jags. A bore snake is used on my shotguns, but not exclusively. I actually prefer cleaning with brushes and mops. A patch over a tornado brush seems to clean faster than a bore snake for me. YMMV.

Are you using cotton patches Hans?
I've done that in the past, I've found some patches on the market will embed themselves into the brush. It sucks to pick them out. These were the fibrous type of patch.
I also really like and are my new favorite are the Real Avid nickel plated brushes, jag and their patches for the jags. They really get into the nooks and crannies.
I use old cut up t-shirts.

All my kits come with a plastic slotted end for the patch. Hoppes cleaning kit

You are supposed to PULL them, no push😁
1642433463172.jpeg

🤪🤪🤪🤪

Back