testtest

Cleaning.....

typically after range trips, with exceptions.

I prefer my carry gun to be clean. If I ever happen to be at the scene of a shooting & I didn't shoot, a clean gun should save me some hassle factor where a dirty gun might cause me some.

When doing load work with rifles I clean as needed based on what I'm working on.

But hunting rifles I tend to shoot before the season to check zero and then not clean again until after the season is closed.

As with several others here, I tend to keep my defensive guns fairly clean.

That said, I don't trust a gun I haven't fired - certainly, a safety/function-check upon reassembly should insure that the weapon is in working order, but until it actually goes bang after it's been apart, I simply don't trust it. And yes, a case can be made that something would go catastrophically wrong at the next trigger pull, but that kind of odds evens out whether the reassembled gun has been fired or not, doesn't it? ;) As such, my defensive weapons are never completely clean: just pretty clean.
;)

What I do for my defensive weapons is that I will clean them after using them for a range-day to check their function/zero or to run out my defensive magazine's worth of ammo for their yearly refresh. This is typically on the order of just 50 to 200 rounds.

But what should be mentioned, importantly, is that I keep my defensive weapons segregated from my range/training copies of the same. My defensive firearms and their magazines are those that I've proven/vetted through several thousand rounds, including at least several hundred using my chosen defensive ammo. And just as with the guns, the magazines which feed these defensive weapons are also kept segregated after vetting, and are carefully cared for: I won't purposely drop them or otherwise abuse them.

The flip side of this are my training/range guns. These guns I sometimes don't clean for thousands upon thousands of rounds - and this includes the training copies of both my XDm9 3.8 Compact and 4.5-inch XDm9, which I call my "beaters." 😁

Throughout the vast majority of the year, both training/range copies are at least as dirty as when I took the following pictures of my beater 3.8 Compact -

1579490811178.png

1579490834717.png

Unless it's a very demanding class in which I specifically do not want even a remote possibility of a non-ammo/non-magazine related stoppage popping up, I'm honestly content just putting a drop of lube (I currently use Slip2000 EWL for all of my weapons), on my XDms, at the tip of the muzzle, a drop of lube on the muzzle hood, and a drop on each slide rail, and letting the gun go for the day. Even in high-round count (500 to 1K rounds per day) classes, I know from experience that this is really all that I need.

If the class occurs under extremely demanding physical conditions (low/high temperatures and/or sand/dust/dirt/mud), I will treat the gun accordingly - and this typically means more frequent applications of lube. Mud is really the bane of any firearm, so if the gun gets muddy, I will literally dunk/wash or hose it (or use a makeshift water-squirter by punching a hole in the cap of a plastic bottle of water) free of mud prior to reapplying lube. EWL holds just fine in terms of NE-Ohio's infrequent upticks above the 100 degree and high-humidity mark, and it also flows easily enough in our wintry conditions.

My ARs are treated the same way. The HD copy is pretty darned clean, while the range/training beater gets lots of lube but is left pretty much uncared-for all year, unless a special class arises. My 870 is probably kept the cleanest, because - thanks, Remington! :cautious:- she'll rust if you just look at her cross-eyed. :LOL:

How often do you clean your guns...is it dependent on how many rounds you fire, after a trip to the range, or based on time since last time you cleaned it. I usually clean mine after I get back from the range, my brother does his after after a round count.
I do the same anni when I get back from the range in fact I set the cleaning table up in the garage before I head out to the range ready to go it when I get back

I do the same anni when I get back from the range in fact I set the cleaning table up in the garage before I head out to the range ready to go it when I get back
I have a work bench and area specifically for gun stuff so it's always set up and ready to go. It's in a shed out back. I just took my solvents/oils/lubes and other perishables back out from the house where I keep them in the winter. I do my gun cleaning at the kitchen table when it's really cold out.

I went to the range this morning and put about 325 through my shotgun. Just got done cleaning it a few minutes ago. :)

I have a work bench and area specifically for gun stuff so it's always set up and ready to go. It's in a shed out back. I just took my solvents/oils/lubes and other perishables back out from the house where I keep them in the winter. I do my gun cleaning at the kitchen table when it's really cold out.

I went to the range this morning and put about 325 through my shotgun. Just got done cleaning it a few minutes ago. :)
Bassbob It’s good you told me that I am serious thinking about turning my work bench in the garage into what you are talking about . I started last week cleaning the garage up we will see how it goes

How often do you clean your guns...is it dependent on how many rounds you fire, after a trip to the range, or based on time since last time you cleaned it. I usually clean mine after I get back from the range, my brother does his after after a round count.
i have mention times before, that after every range visit, mine get cleaned and lubed. however, i do believe, this is the first time someone mentions "round count".

i only take one or two, 50 rnd boxes of ammo.

if it's the .45 ACP, then one box is reloaded ammo, and one is factory fresh.

the reloaded ammo, is always dirty.

so this is the reason for the cleanings after every range trip, regarding the .45 ACP

as for the 9MM, or .357, or .38 special, it is all factory new ammo, but the same regime applies here too.

reason being, all my guns are in a rotation to get to the range. i don't want the carbon to sit inside that gun for what could be several weeks, before it's next range visit.

and my revolvers get cleaned and lubed, even if i only shoot off one wheels worth of ammo.

we all have our own habits that work for us.

I thoroughly clean and lube immediately after returning from the range. I also check the unfired guns in the safe monthly for cleanliness and lube. Often, little or no touch-ups are needed. The dehumidifier in my safe also helps. It's a habit my Dad ingrained in me. I find it to be reassuring to know everything's ready to go at a moment's notice. Do what you feel safe with.

Back