testtest

CobraTec knives

So I picked up a gray FSX medium. It's a solid little knife. D2 steel, aluminum housing. Very sharp. The action is a little stiff, but I oiled it and am currently opening and closing it repeatedly, much to my wife's chagrin. It's not a top shelf knife, but it's good enough for EDC and I won't cry if I lose it.

I also picked up a black Kore Essentials belt, which is fantastic. Under 2 beans for both.

m0aU13A.jpg

Iv4trsE.jpg

Ho8Y2iG.jpg
Nice, will like to hear how you like it and how it holds up for you.

With my apologies to Papa for the thread hi-jack, I'd like to expand a little bit on my experience with this new store I found where I bought this knife.

I know my profile says St. Louis, and I do work in STL proper, but I actually live outside of the suburbs at the bottom of the next county to the south, about 40-45 miles away. I mention this because the closest town to me ( which also happens to be the county seat ) is a small town in a very rural area. This place discourages most businesses from setting up shop because they want it to remain a small, rural town. And while it's not strange that the town has a gun store, it's quite extraordinary that it now has a store like this.

They actually began as a training outfit and security operators. The two owners are combat vets and ex swat guys and they have actually contracted for some "security" details for the county sheriff's office. I rarely actually go up into town as it's really not on my way to anywhere I go. I skirt the edges, but rarely get into the stretch of the highway that constitutes the "Business district". So even though this place has been there for 10 months now, I just learned of it yesterday. I spent an hour or so last night up there talking to the kid working and checked the place out. They recently got their FFL ( including class III) and until then they were primarily selling accessories and such on-line. It's a small place ( they are getting ready to expand though) but they have a pretty good inventory. Way more "Tactical" for lack of a better term, than most gun stores in podunk. Mostly quality stuff too and the gun selection is good. This is my new favorite store.

So I go there today to pick up this knife and a belt and one of the owners is the guy working today. I spent about 2 1/2 hours in there talking to the guy. We talked about their courses, which sound pretty intense and their clients are usually cops and other already highly trained individuals. The guy seemed to like me and like the kid working last night, he ended up going out to his truck and bringing in his bag and letting me handle his PDWs and handguns. By the way the kid working last night is a big Springfield fan and has a couple Saints, some handguns and even a Prodigy. The guy today had a heavily modified, older version CZ Scorpion as well as a heavily modded 7.62 AK variant pistol. Both of these had the Holosun equivalent of the Romeo 5s on them. I asked him about that, him being an actual operator and all ( this guy's resume is extensive. Army Ranger. Many hours of actual combat in Iraq, Afghanistan, Kosovo, Eastern Europe, etc.. He's a door kicker for sure, I saw his bullet holes ;)) He said the Holosuns just work. He's also a Vortex guy. We talked about thermal and like 10mm and KF and the other hog killing Texans on this board, he does NOT recommend any " Budget" friendly options. I asked about some of the thermal monoculars on their website that are in the $1000 range and his response was " It depends on what you're doing with it". I told him I clearly wasn't an operator or intending to use them in any real defensive role, more for just seeing what's roaming around after dark. Nevertheless he immediately starts talking about $5000 stuff that they don't even carry. I told him I thought it was odd that a guy who owned a store like this would talk me out of a possible sale of a low end thermal device and would also have a $150 Holosun dot on his CZ Scorpion. He isn't a dude repeating things he heard on the internet. He said he uses the Holosuns because they work and he knows they work. He also let me fondle his sidearm, which was a Shadow Systems 9mm with a WML under it and a 507 on top with lower 1/3 co-witness. Apparently if you get your gun taken as evidence in a SD shooting, Shadow Systems will give you a replacement gun. Did anyone know this? He had the 1911 grip panels on it and I finally had a Glock ( basically) in my hand that I loved the feel of. He's also a big fan of the new Sig 365 Macro and even has a video which is on Sig's website. He is a red dot on handguns and nothing but striker fired Glocks and Sigs kinda guy.

Well, sorry for the long winded diatribe, but I assure you I am leaving stuff out. I thought it was a nice bit of info to know that an actual operator would favor Holosun dots and not be a fan of 1911s. Or 45s for carry for that matter. ( he did say he might consider a 2011). We talked about that too and he gave the same answer you have heard @HansGruber give except that Herr Gruber puts less importance on capacity, but you gotta figure Hans is speaking from a POV similar to ours and not the POV of a guy who has clearly been shot and shot many people in combat.

I am tough on knives brother. I very nearly bought a Microtech this morning. Then I remembered that there is a fair chance whatever knife I carry is going to disappear into the ether or be heavily modded by hard, scratchy, bendy and smashy objects over the course of the next year.
I know your pain brother. Lost more nice knives than I can remember. That's how I ended up with these two. Lost the first then after a month bought a second and found the first.

The Cricket in the first picture ii put in this thread also happens to be a replacement for my first Cricket.

20221119_161528.jpg

I know your pain brother. Lost more nice knives than I can remember. That's how I ended up with these two. Lost the first then after a month bought a second and found the first.

The Cricket in the first picture ii put in this thread also happens to be a replacement for my first Cricket.

View attachment 32619

I can relate. Somehow I lost a nice Buck Oddysey that I loved in the bottom of Bull Shoals Lake. What kind of dip:poop: goes water skiing with a knife clipped in your pocket ?

I bought another one, but unlike you I never found the original. lol

@ Bassbob .... don't worry about a hi-jack. All is good . Do you have a link to their website? I would like to look around I think.

I also would like to hear what you think of the new knife after using it a few months.

Nice blade. Hope da mermaids are liking it.
That was somewhere around 30 years ago. One of my best friends gave it to me as a gift. This is long before the proliferation ( and legal status in my state anyway) of OTF, autos and auto assist knives. Back then this was one of the quicker opening knives around. Compared to most of my other knives it's a dinosaur, but the steel is good. That knife has never been anything other than razor sharp.

I would sure be curious to see the condition it's in right now.

Also wanted to add that as with most OTFs , it has a safety in that if the blade hits something while deploying it will come off tract. It won't even pierce a sheet of paper.

If this happens all you have to do is take hold of the blade and pull all the way out. The blade will lock back on tract and be working again.
That has always bothered me about knives like that. What happens if you need to use one for self defense? Can you be 100% certain it will not fail to stay in place? Or will it collapse like not piercing paper?

That has always bothered me about knives like that. What happens if you need to use one for self defense? Can you be 100% certain it will not fail to stay in place? Or will it collapse like not piercing paper?
When it has happened to me , most times I can just make a quick swinging downward arc and it will pop back in place. It has only happened 5 times in the 2 years I have had it.

Keep in mind I carry it every day and can't begin to count the number of times each day that I use it and other times that I am just playing with it as a fidget. Also , once the blade is in place it stays there. The times it has jumped tract is when being deployed. Like I said , if that happens , a quick snap downward and it is back in place.

When it has happened to me , most times I can just make a quick swinging downward arc and it will pop back in place. It has only happened 5 times in the 2 years I have had it.

Keep in mind I carry it every day and can't begin to count the number of times each day that I use it and other times that I am just playing with it as a fidget. Also , once the blade is in place it stays there. The times it has jumped tract is when being deployed. Like I said , if that happens , a quick snap downward and it is back in place.
Mine has the safety, but I can tell you that once it is deployed, when you stab into something the lockup remains tight.

Knew they had them but never seen one for sale, seen plenty other bokers.

Let us know how it works Jav.
Ok Sld here’s the undate in the manual OTF boker it’s super lite it’s manual do you can see the blade come out as you slide the trigger it’s kinda like a box cutter . Again very lite lock up is strong I will keep it . Very easy to carry because of the weight I don’t know if it’s worth 50 bucks but I like it

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 67
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 67
Ok Sld here’s the undate in the manual OTF boker it’s super lite it’s manual do you can see the blade come out as you slide the trigger it’s kinda like a box cutter . Again very lite lock up is strong I will keep it . Very easy to carry because of the weight I don’t know if it’s worth 50 bucks but I like it

Nice, most Bokers I have seen tend to last and give good service for the money.

I'm reading where these all rebranded Chinese knives. Shipped to Texas as parts and assembled there. Gives me some pause, though they are cheap enough and it isn't like the 10 or so Boker autos I have aren't Chinese as well.
I have purchased many of their knives, most recently I got an auto from them for a family member, and the dang thing came screwed up. They have good customer service but they seem to drag on the process as long as possible. You have to get lucky with their products. Last time I will be buying from them. If you are wanting to get one I would go with one that is CNC and expect it to come dull.

Back