testtest

Comfort in a holster

KLGunner

Staff member
So there are hundreds of holster makers out there depending on how you like to carry. But what makes a holster comfortable? For me I don’t like to feel the top sights of the pistol sticking me in the gut. However a lot of the Kydex holsters form to the gun and don’t offer much skin protection. I have a Hellcat OSP and much like a lot of us I’ve started compiling holsters so see what I like and is comfortable to me. I’ve tried everything from N82 tactical to a holster made by upper hand holsters. All great products but I kept finding myself disliking different parts of each holster. So it got me wondering what do you like or find comfortable in a holster?

I am not the skinniest person in the world and an inside the waist band holster just does not fit me. On the other hand a belt loop holster is more comfortable but a pain in the butt to remove through the day......think potty breaks, or when I sit down to work on someones gun, maybe enter a post office or court house. So a paddle offer the comfort over the IWB and is easier to remove quickly if I need to over a belt.

Thought I would throw in some of my absolute favorites. I love the GLS/ALS Safariland belt/Paddle holsters. Especially the multi fit versions like the 578 multifit. One holster gives me the security of an auto locking holster, the speed of draw that will give me an advantage, does not wear my guns appearance that much and fits a bunch of different pistols depending on the need. Adjust the holster and you can carry a Glock, then the next day adjust the holster and carry an M&P or XD.

For me, I carry a full size TRP. And to carry a gun like that concealed, you need a REALLY comfortable holster. For me, it's the Versa Max2 from Milt Sparks. https://www.miltsparks.com/products-versa-max-2.php

Its an IWB that sits the gun low and flat against your body, with its widely spaced belt loops (off the body of the holster and the to the sides). I've tried Summer Special type holsters with the loops on the holster, but theyre too "fat" for me. The VersaMax is just nice and flat, and the thinness of the 1911 makes it even better.

Its expensive, but I think its worth it.

I tend to carry my XDS in my WeThePeople Holster. I just feel like they are the most comfortable for me but I do hear you on the skin coverage. I wear a tank top tucked into my jeans so it creates a barrier for my skin but obviously not everyone has that option.

I've found that the comfort of a holster also depends on the choice of pants and belt. I switch between appendix and 5oclock position depending on my wardrobpe.

I tend to carry my XDS in my WeThePeople Holster. I just feel like they are the most comfortable for me but I do hear you on the skin coverage. I wear a tank top tucked into my jeans so it creates a barrier for my skin but obviously not everyone has that option.
Yea I’ve spoken to them they don’t have the Hellcat OSP model yet.

I've found that the comfort of a holster also depends on the choice of pants and belt. I switch between appendix and 5oclock position depending on my wardrobpe.
I do the same thing but that’s also why I love the N82 tactical holster because it has that paddle behind the firearm with foam in it.

Almost ordered a crossbreed and I don't own a Hellcat yet. Love Bravo but they are not going to be making something for the Hellcat for a while or I'm order there

Like some statements above, I am not.... thin built... and like to carry IWB to better conceal. I'm also vertically challenged so many of the holsters out there keep the gun barrel too low and it really digs in when I sit due to having a short torso. I am awaiting the arrival of a We The People holster for my Hellcat to try it out, but until then I carry my P365 in a Neptune Concealment Gemini series IWB holster with the TAC clip. This is one of the most comfortable IWB holsters that I have found for my stature because it is set to ride a little higher on the waist. This is a dual layered kydex so it is durable too. I think what makes this more comfortable for me over other brands I have tried is that they cut off, or bevel the bottom corner on the trigger guard side rather than leaving it squared off. Just my 2 cents...

+1 on alien. My EDC is an XDs 3.3 9mm with a Viridian Reactor5 instant-on laser, and alien makes a kydex IWB with either a leather back (cloak tuck), or a neoprene-skin stainless back (cloak tuck 3.5). They make a multitude of others but the laser limits my options a bit. I have the leather and the neoprene, both are quite comfortable and I honestly forget I'm wearing it until I get in the driver seat of my car and the seat pushes on the base of the grip. Adjustable retention, and up to nine different cant/ride height positions. Very versatile and quite comfy. I can wear either without an undershirt, and no problems (although the leather makes me sweat a bit more, and it can creak with movement where the 3.5 neoprene is absolutely silent). The other nice thing about the 3.5 is tool-less cant adjustment, where the leather one uses screws that require tools and occasional checks against backing-out.

Have tried iwb holsters and not comfortable for me. I mostly use owb kydex holsters but have cut a leather sweat guard to fit where gun touches skin and glued it to back top edge of holster. Now they're very comfortable to wear all day.

Have tried iwb holsters and not comfortable for me. I mostly use owb kydex holsters but have cut a leather sweat guard to fit where gun touches skin and glued it to back top edge of holster. Now they're very comfortable to wear all day.
That’s actually a very intriguing idea I might have to look into that.

I'm tired of wasting bucks on holsters that don't work for me. Been cc for two years and usually don't carry because the weight of the firearm (XDS 9mm 3.3) is too heavy and pulls my pants down. Leather gun belts don't work cause my weight constantly is changing (going to gym). Have a 511 web style belt that use a ratchet buckle but still not perfect. Warm weather forget it. Now that it is cold will try a shoulder harness due to jacket. Also use a laser and so many holsters won't work with it. Suggestions?

I'm tired of wasting bucks on holsters that don't work for me. Been cc for two years and usually don't carry because the weight of the firearm (XDS 9mm 3.3) is too heavy and pulls my pants down. Leather gun belts don't work cause my weight constantly is changing (going to gym). Have a 511 web style belt that use a ratchet buckle but still not perfect. Warm weather forget it. Now that it is cold will try a shoulder harness due to jacket. Also use a laser and so many holsters won't work with it. Suggestions?
If I am not mistaken, Aliengear has a 30 day money back gaurantee. Give them a try.

Got a drawer full of holsters. I'm probably committing some kind of CC sin, but I don't like IWB. I carry on my belt and the one I use the most is Versacarry Holsters. Simple, reliable, stay tight to my body and I don't have a problem concealing with a shirt untucked or a jacket.

Decent price too.

I have a drawer full like a lot of people but have found that Relentless Tactical leather IWB holsters work best for me. The one that my XDE .45 fits in perfectly also fits my Sig 229 and 290. It's actually worked well for most of my pistols unless they're longer barreled and then the front sight snags on the draw. Anything 4 and shorter though fits quite nice and leather just feels better than kydex. They're bigger holster works well for my P220 Legion and a couple other guns that I can't really carry comfortably. I like the company and have one of their belts too that's pretty sweet.
I do have a Crossbreed kydex/leather combo for my P365 (getting rid of it this week) that felt very comfortable. I'd get another Crossbreed for sure but they are a little pricey.

Like many have posted, I have a few holsters. Some fancy and some pretty basic. For non-work, EDC I find the leather Galco Stow-n-Go IWB to the most comfortable in appendix carry. However, my work EDC and the one I wear 5 days a week is an old Uncle Mike’s ankle holster with my subcompacts wearing blue jeans and lace-up boots. I sit a lot in the office and this allows me to still carry everyday without constant gouging or possibly being noticed. In a perfect world, I’d prefer my full-size on my hip for sure!

Back