testtest

Concealed carry for a bass guitarist

BassCliff:

Thanks for your response, and welcome to yet another gun blog!

It seems I'm constantly working out / resolving / refining yet one more detail with regard to carrying. I have worked out just about all details with regard to carrying in my right front pants pocket, except for when I play the bass.

Your bass sits higher than mine when you play. Note the bend in your "plucking" arm.

I'm thinking the next thing I'll try is IWB on the left side (cross draw). Problem will be when I wear a shirt that tucks in, because I will lose my concealment if I carry IWB with my shirt tucked in. This is a key reason why I pocket carry - gun is concealed in all situations.

Speaking of concealment, with the bass in front of my right front pocket, it hides my gun very well, and it will also hide my right hand if I have to draw the gun. So that is an advantage with the way I currently do things.

Question: Do you think I'm overthinking this? Do you think I'm worrying about nothing?

Jim

Basically, everything is lined up well for me to carry in my right pocket, except for when I play the bass. So I will still carry in my right pocket, and I'll come up with a work around for when I play the bass. I KNOW that carrying in the right pocket is the best decision for me at this time.

Hi,

I guess that'll teach me to read the whole thread before responding. ;)

As Mr. @Lock n' Load suggested, perhaps a pocket holster with a thicker flat surface on the front. You may have to have something custom made so as to pad the bass and print like a wallet rather than a pistol.

You can try holding the bass more in front of you. Bring your left hand back so the guitar body is more on your belly and not on your right thigh.

I've learned that this EDC stuff is all about compromising, tweaking, and just making it work the way I need it too. I'm sure you'll come up with something. ;)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

BassCliff:

Thanks for your response, and welcome to yet another gun blog!

It seems I'm constantly working out / resolving / refining yet one more detail with regard to carrying. I have worked out just about all details with regard to carrying in my right front pants pocket, except for when I play the bass.

Your bass sits higher than mine when you play. Note the bend in your "plucking" arm.

I'm thinking the next thing I'll try is IWB on the left side (cross draw). Problem will be when I wear a shirt that tucks in, because I will lose my concealment if I carry IWB with my shirt tucked in. This is a key reason why I pocket carry - gun is concealed in all situations.

Speaking of concealment, with the bass in front of my right front pocket, it hides my gun very well, and it will also hide my right hand if I have to draw the gun. So that is an advantage with the way I currently do things.

Question: Do you think I'm overthinking this? Do you think I'm worrying about nothing?

Jim

Hi,

Seems we were typing at the same time. :p

No, not over-thinking, just thinking about what works best for you.

I also have a tuck-able IWB that I need to practice with. I used to tuck my shirts all the time, even polo shirts and t-shirts. I always felt unkempt if I was untucked. I've had to get over it. I've been buying more shirts with square tails so they don't look as unkempt when I go untucked.

Your reasons for pocket carry make sense. Now it's just a matter of making it work for you. :)

Thank you for your indulgence,

BassCliff

If I may ask, why do you feel the need to carry when your on stage, aren't you afraid of all the jumping and moving around, plus the sweat, your weapon may fall out? Just curious....

If I may ask, why do you feel the need to carry when your on stage, aren't you afraid of all the jumping and moving around, plus the sweat, your weapon may fall out? Just curious....
As I mentioned before, I play in church. Not much jumping around there. Even if I do jump around, a big advantage of pocket carry is that it is very difficult for the gun to fall out of my pocket.

As for why I carry when I play, you never know when some nut job might come in the church and start shooting the place up. Church shootings hardly ever happen, but they do happen on occasion; and I want to be ready in case it ever does. I'm sure there are more than me in the church who are carrying at any one time; and the more of us there are, spread all around the sanctuary, the more chance we have of stopping the bad guy before he kills very many people.

As I mentioned before, I play in church. Not much jumping around there. Even if I do jump around, a big advantage of pocket carry is that it is very difficult for the gun to fall out of my pocket.

As for why I carry when I play, you never know when some nut job might come in the church and start shooting the place up. Church shootings hardly ever happen, but they do happen on occasion; and I want to be ready in case it ever does. I'm sure there are more than me in the church who are carrying at any one time; and the more of us there are, spread all around the sanctuary, the more chance we have of stopping the bad guy before he kills very many people.
True, I was just wondering, but with the way it is anymore, you just don’t know what could occur

As for why I carry when I play, you never know when some nut job might come in the church and start shooting the place up.

This is precisely the right mindset and discipline - always be armed where legally allowed.

Otherwise, we venture into the territory of fortune-telling. ;)

If I were to know as I start the day that it would involve me getting into a gunfight, would I not simply avoid the where/when/how of that situation, outright? I think that any of us -and every one of us- would.

The lamentations that we all so often hear include "If I had only been armed, I just left the gun in the car because I was only gonna run in for a second!" and "I never imagined that it could happen here." Without being able to tell the future, these are always possibilities - but also possibilities we can minimize, by sticking to our discipline, and by readjusting our mindset to realize that we've come to legal armed self defense just as we take out insurance on our vehicles, our home, and even our person - because we can't foresee the future.

Here's something I think I'll try -- an anti-vibration pad:

I'll affix it to the back side of my bass, and I believe this will satisfy all of my concerns. It will absorb the vibrations put out by the bass (at least those which might rattle my bullets), and it will cushion the bass as it rests against my pocket (and therefore my gun).

Other than affixing this pad to the back side of my bass, I won't have to make any changes. That's the best part.

I have a similar product which I use to keep my washing machine from sliding all over the floor:

These small pads work great, once you get them oriented correctly.

I'll reply back here once I do this and let everyone know how it is going.

Thanks to everyone for your comments, and for your camaraderie.

Of course, no one has asked if a heavy bass guitar, resting against your key fob in your pocket, would have some sort of adverse effect on your key fob, or on your wristwatch if it is in your pocket.

But that's for another blog, another time...

Back