testtest

Concealed vs. Open

I do both kinda. I have not open carried since the 1970's when it was legal in CA. The summer of love 2020 made me retire my SW AirLite PD .38 snub . Now I carry 1 or 2 Hellcat 9mm in my nylon vest pocket/s. They print some...but it is better than open carry. When I carry 2 Hellcats it is one on each side pocket. And nothing else in the pocket.

Love, love, love the Hellcats! Everyone is trying to jump on the Hellcat bandwagon with their creations...but I've found nothing is better than the Hellcat.

Springfield should make a 22 magnum Hellcat that holds some crazy amount of rounds. If 22 mag is not that reliable for running, they can make a proprietary 22 mag round. They should also come out with a drum mag for the Hellcat 9mm. I carry a Glock with a drum mag in my trunk pass through if I am not carrying a AR pistol in the trunk.

Open carry? Some people just like to show off. Like the ones that fly Confederate flags.
Don't know about that. Many people down here fly the stars and bars. They do it to say they are proud to be Southern. It's a fairly recent phenomenon with it being allegedly a sign of racism. I personally know a couple of black guys that fly them still.

Open carry? Some people just like to show off. Like the ones that fly Confederate flags.
Don't know about that. Many people down here fly the stars and bars. They do it to say they are proud to be Southern. It's a fairly recent phenomenon with it being allegedly a sign of racism. I personally know a couple of black guys that fly them still.
I'm a transplanted Yankee to South Central VA so I'm not going to touch the whole Confederate thing. But in my 78 years I have learned a thing to two about people who over compensate for their feelings of inadequacy. Again, I'm not going to spout wisdom about what those signs and behaviors are, but we can all guess and suggest a few. In some cases like the Confederate flag or a Siempre Fi tattoo it may be pride. In some cases it may be somethig else. But in my opinion open carry, and the person who does it "because he can" might just be because of a felt inadequacy, consciously or not. But whatever the reason, we all love guns and our 2A rights, and I think that regardless of what we think "should be" the fact is that it does not make friends, and may very well create enemies out of fear or ingnorance. But it does us well to remember that an enemy, however created, will still vote against us.

I live in a open carry State. That said, its probably more likely you will see bigfoot than an open carrier. That is a little sarcastic but open carriers are very few and far between. I would say that I have seen maybe 5 OCers in as many years.

I attribute the sparseness to the availability of many training outfits in area as well as the State. As they say, you have trained people and then you have OC people. That statement is an oversimplification of course but there is commonly a little truth to most "sayings".

To me, OC is more about activism, attention and efforts towards social engineering and less about self defense. Thats just my take on it and I am no proponent of open carry. I am pleased that it is legal as it prevents problems which can be associated with incidental exposure of a weapon and others such things. Its good not to have to worry about a perfect cc method or unexpected detection.

I never OC in any space I would consider to be occupied my the general public at large. I will oc on the training field the riverbank or in the wilderness and perhaps to and from such venues but thats it.

I’ve lived in urban or suburban areas my entire 56 years on this planet. I see absolutely no reason or advantage to open carrying in that environment.

Now before someone jumps in on how they have the god given right to carry openly…I’m not disputing the right (which I have too)…I’m disputing the need. Unless you live in a rural area where you’re outdoors and are carrying more for hunting or protection from four legged animals, I don’t see how open carrying in populated areas protects you more than concealed carry or reduces your potential for an armed encounter.

So I never open carry and frankly when I see someone in Academy Sports or other places where it’s sometimes seen, I just question the wisdom, not the legal or constitutional right.

Just because you have the right to do something, that doesn’t always make doing it right. Something some people on all sides of the political spectrum forget.

Many people down here fly the stars and bars.

I didn’t grow up here, but I’ve lived in GA in two stints…one in the 1980s when I went to college, and one beginning in 2007 when I moved my family to escape the nanny state in Massachusetts.

I know many people of many walks of life, and I honestly don’t know anyone who flies the Confederate flag. Personally, my libertarian attitude is “you do you” and a flag doesn’t harm me, but it’s not typical.

My son went to state college in a more rural area of the state, and I used to drive to visit him, and I can remember seeing a couple of ginormous pickup trucks with rebel flags on them, but those were the exceptions and they stood out.

Maybe in remote rural areas it’s different. Don’t know.

I didn’t grow up here, but I’ve lived in GA in two stints…one in the 1980s when I went to college, and one beginning in 2007 when I moved my family to escape the nanny state in Massachusetts.

I know many people of many walks of life, and I honestly don’t know anyone who flies the Confederate flag. Personally, my libertarian attitude is “you do you” and a flag doesn’t harm me, but it’s not typical.

My son went to state college in a more rural area of the state, and I used to drive to visit him, and I can remember seeing a couple of ginormous pickup trucks with rebel flags on them, but those were the exceptions and they stood out.

Maybe in remote rural areas it’s different. Don’t know.
On many backroads throughout the southern states you can find the Confederate flag flying or in windows/stickers.
The new redefinition given to it are not my thoughts, nor do the cancelers dictate my thoughts.

I have a small collection of flags including the Confederate and Infidel that I might fly but one has to use a bit of common sense about when/where. See, even a person with freedom of expression as a priority may self censor depending on what the repercussions of the AntiConstitutionalists might be. Is it worth a (possible) burn out to display what I have a right too? Some folks are not well.

Don't open carry in public. Although more comfortable and perfectly legal the only thing the other people see is the gun. On top of that you got too many Karens out there hysterically calling the cops and requesting a SWAT Team for the threat walking around with a {whispering} gun!

I’ve lived in urban or suburban areas my entire 56 years on this planet. I see absolutely no reason or advantage to open carrying in that environment.

Now before someone jumps in on how they have the god given right to carry openly…I’m not disputing the right (which I have too)…I’m disputing the need. Unless you live in a rural area where you’re outdoors and are carrying more for hunting or protection from four legged animals, I don’t see how open carrying in populated areas protects you more than concealed carry or reduces your potential for an armed encounter.

So I never open carry and frankly when I see someone in Academy Sports or other places where it’s sometimes seen, I just question the wisdom, not the legal or constitutional right.

Just because you have the right to do something, that doesn’t always make doing it right. Something some people on all sides of the political spectrum forget.

"I’ve lived in urban or suburban areas my entire 56 years on this planet. I see absolutely no reason or advantage to open carrying in that environment." - Can see your point, and mostly agree. But, others may not? Like some tests, there's no wrong answers?

"I just question the wisdom, not the legal or constitutional right." - Your comments may have raised other thoughts and things and opened up some other doors as well?

Sometimes it's tit and tat or this and that? Taking in a different perspectives if any one's able to anymore?
Depending on what's what and where is where, where many things are accepted, considered normal or in some cases and sometimes not?

Sometimes it doesn't really matter in what some people may think or to are used to or not, if something is just there? And, really sometimes it's not what's considered right or wrong either, it's just accepted as commonplace? Sometimes, it may be very surprising on when and where if thought about?

For example, in many present locations, police officers openly carrying pistols or other weapons and is considered normal in most places, right? Those same officers are people too, correct? So, what or who's to say the average person and citizen should or shouldn't openly carry firearms as well? The firearms fairy, if there is such a thing? Yes, it can be a strange world with strange creatures sometimes?

Why is that? Unfortunately, some things may have been changed or in some ways really warped over the years in our society? In many places besides hunting or at the range, firearms of all sorts are and were common place in many to most cities and elsewhere. Many firearms, in a better likely safer society not too long ago here in this country, were displayed and used openly. Was no big deal. Sometimes firearms were displayed on fireplace mantles, gun racks of all sorts, open or not, glass faced gun cabinets, some guns hung on wall pegs, guns placed on open shelving and displayed for use and ease in pickup truck window racks. All was commonplace and out in the open.

Out in the open? EEK! ....Sometimes, that's the best place to ensure something is there for safety. Out of sight can sometimes mean something may be missing when needed if not also visibly seen? For example: Visibility can also mean safety for other purposes? - So, where's the kids we may ask? "Oh, I see them, they're okay." You see them, so things are then okay, right? Another example: Glass front display cabinets for firearms, so a person can see them may come to mind? Sounds sort of crazy, unsafe and unsecure? Not everything may be as it seems?

There were also firearms, mostly rifles, called Parlor Guns, where many people in many locations cleared a space in their living rooms and other areas and enjoyed shooting practice with firearms together. There were also shooting booths using actual firearms used commonly at many city and county fairs. - All commonly out in the open for both young and old to enjoy.

Just because you, me or someone else saw or use firearms or not, didn't mean they did or didn't exist, were right, wrong or anything else. Safety for example is first for a reason, it isn't always seen to be believed in, but is still an action. Safety of many sorts is taught and reinforced by good and proper education. Education is key to everything. - So is awareness, it's part of safety. Just like firearms or most anything else and just because something is or isn't seen doesn't mean it's right, wrong or doesn't exist, it may just be out of mind and someone's not aware of it is all? - Safety's always out of sight? Not always though? "Where are those kids at? Hope they're okay?"

Concealment for what reason? To help avoid what? Just that thoughts of guns that may scare or annoy someone? - Like a pillow or throw to possibly covering up a stain on furniture? Or, for the "Doily People" that cover up most anything they can with something else and sometimes fail to enjoy things for what they are?

That type of concealment may also touch on the lack of firearms education and safety that has been obviously neglected in our schools. I believe it should be taught early on in our schools for safety's sake. The other thing that same education could do is raise awareness in both kids and adults as well. Another very important thought is the reasoning behind firearms education and use, firearms are an important part of our country's heritage, amendments and our foundation. Firearms safety should be widely taught and not ignored or covered up by our educational systems in my opinion. Radical thoughts? Possibly, but those very same thoughts and Amendments are still part of our countries heritage and history aren't they? - Those same Amendments are and were meant for everyone in this country to learn, understand, know, realize and feel. So, where else should those facts be taught? In our schools is a very good place to start. - In the other direction w/o the average person having using and owning firearms? Is it feasibly possible, practical or financially sound to have a police officer at every street corner or in every home? - Just set another plate for dinner is all? Where's that going?

Only firearms? Knives as well? They're dangerous if not used properly. But, usually still considered safe when they're used for intended purposes. I've carried knives for many years, more than 50. I've never hurt another person with one, but easily could if need be. Knives come in handy for many reasons and purposes just like firearms. - Getting back to firearms. Firearms or powder actuated implements of many sorts are used for something else besides defending or hurting others. There are many things that could be considered firearms, but really aren't. Like powder actuated tools used in construction. Some are considered hammers, some are some sort of other drivers as well. All used to build something constructively. It is how something's used that is most important, not just what it is by itself.

It isn't only firearms we need to be prepared to protect ourselves with against ignorance and violence sometimes.
The world we live in is outright huge, there's many different things considered commonplace, normal or average all over the globe. You, me and others are only very small parts of this world. Our knowledge of it all is generally very tiny in comparison. Some people may not actually realize the scope of that magnitude where we all should? For example: Had a 17-18 year old family member from another country visiting us one time for example, they had thoughts it was possible we could go to Disney World and Disneyland all in one day. Likely is, but no one's likely having too much fun? Guessing their geography needs brushing up on? Where's that educational system at on what should be a fairly simple thing to figure out?

The thing to usually consider important is there's advantages and disadvantages with many things, that it can vary from place to place, person to person and sometimes even in the same location. The 1st and last consideration is safety.

The thing to usually consider important is there's advantages and disadvantages with many things, that it can vary from place to place, person to person and sometimes even in the same location. The 1st and last consideration is safety.

Don’t disagree, and simply expressed my opinion.

I didn’t just decide on this topic this afternoon, and have discussed it, thought about it, discussed with friends who are LEOs, firearms instructors with whom I’ve taken training, etc.

It’s an opinion that’s evolved over years. And I’ll reiterate it. In a suburban or urban area, I don’t see any good reason to open carry. And I’ll reiterate that anyone is free to disagree and in most states people have the right to do so and open carry.

But as I said…in my opinion (and I’m the only expert on my opinion), I see only negatives.

Let me ask…with an open mind…what are the benefits that people perceive with open carrying in an urban or suburban area, versus concealed carry?

Don’t disagree, and simply expressed my opinion.

I didn’t just decide on this topic this afternoon, and have discussed it, thought about it, discussed with friends who are LEOs, firearms instructors with whom I’ve taken training, etc.

It’s an opinion that’s evolved over years. And I’ll reiterate it. In a suburban or urban area, I don’t see any good reason to open carry. And I’ll reiterate that anyone is free to disagree and in most states people have the right to do so and open carry.

But as I said…in my opinion (and I’m the only expert on my opinion), I see only negatives.
I took it as that and agree with you as far as CC most likely being best solution, but there's sometimes options and sometimes no options too? Seeing whatever, like CC or OC from another point of view can lead to discovering many things? Like knowing local laws helps.

For example, a person seen OC, may not have an alternative holster at the time because of something else? Heck, they could've been out looking for a CC holster when you, me or someone else saw them too and they needed the HG to try and compare or fit? Or, their CC holster's being repaired or replaced, they can't find the right one available for their setup or can't wear one because of physical limitations or something else? So, should they not be allowed to carry OC or shouldn't they carry at all if not CC?

To me, it all gets a bit crazy, mixed up in some ways because some places legally allow one or the other, but not both or sometimes either. CC in some places can, will get someone dismissed, fined or imprisoned if it's seen - even if persons legally allowed to carry, but in same place it's okay to be seen open carry. Yah, there are some weird laws? OC can be about the same scenario. Not much is always so clear cut or ideal as it should be concerning firearms like it should be. Either CC or OC should be fine, but isn't always allowed or acceptable everywhere. Knowing and being prepared for both can help. Keeping things clear and simple is usually the best way to avoid mistakes and misunderstandings. That's part of what the previous reply and comments were about. Not really intended as too personal. Like you, was just voicing personal experience, opinion and sometimes frustration to hopefully help others.

Let me ask…with an open mind…what are the benefits that people perceive with open carrying in an urban or suburban area, versus concealed carry?
In some cases, and since (many) perps are pure cowards, they will avoid an attack if they know the odds are not strongly in their favor. Open carry (even though it is not my choice) I'm sure, has cases that did not happen because of the sight of a firearm. Perps enjoy the ambush of a defenseless victim, not one that may fight back and hurt them.

In some cases, and since (many) perps are pure cowards, they will avoid an attack if they know the odds are not strongly in their favor.

I think people should probably NOT count on a violent predatory criminal being a coward. We are not talking about jackasses that you dont need a gun for ( to begin with). We are talking about people who have a propensity toward endangering the lives of other people. We are talking about people who have likely lived a very long time dealing with darn near every issue in their life through the threat of violence and actual violence. These same people have probably been exposed to the same from a very young age and are rather indifferent regarding its use. There is simply no way I am going to broadcast that I am armed, where and by what means. Nope .. no way.

In some cases, and since (many) perps are pure cowards, they will avoid an attack if they know the odds are not strongly in their favor. Open carry (even though it is not my choice) I'm sure, has cases that did not happen because of the sight of a firearm. Perps enjoy the ambush of a defenseless victim, not one that may fight back and hurt them.
Maybe, but what actual evidence exists to back this theory up? Any criminals apprehended who said their motive for not committing a crime was seeing someone open carry?

To me, it all gets a bit crazy, mixed up in some ways because some places legally allow one or the other, but not both or sometimes either. CC in some places can, will get someone dismissed, fined or imprisoned if it's seen - even if persons legally allowed to carry, but in same place it's okay to be seen open carry. Yah, there are some weird laws?

The jurisdiction you live in or are carrying in definitely matters. Thankfully here in GA, the laws are pretty clear, and the rights of firearm owners are protected not harassed.

Maybe, but what actual evidence exists to back this theory up? Any criminals apprehended who said their motive for not committing a crime was seeing someone open carry?

I think the ongoing sentiment is mostly "feel good-ism". It it seemingly very similar to the stuff parents often tell kids about bullies to bolster their confidence in dealing with them.

I accept that all things being equal, most badguys who are above the iq of 60 would probably prefer a seemingly easier mark vs a obviously more difficult one. That said, all things are rarely equal and if risk vs gain vs consequences were the method in which badguys carried out their decision making, there would be no crime.

Plenty of well intending people simply use themselves as a template when trying to predict the actions of a stone cold criminal. It just doesnt often work that way and it doesnt really matter how you feel or what you( the normal law abiding citizen) would be deterred by.. it matters what the badguy thinks/feels ( and he probably dont think like you)

I think the ongoing sentiment is mostly "feel good-ism". It it seemingly very similar to the stuff parents often tell kids about bullies to bolster their confidence in dealing with them.

I accept that all things being equal, most badguys who are above the iq of 60 would probably prefer a seemingly easier mark vs a obviously more difficult one. That said, all things are rarely equal and if risk vs gain vs consequences were the method in which badguys carried out their decision making, there would be no crime.

Plenty of well intending people simply use themselves as a template when trying to predict the actions of a stone cold criminal. It just doesnt often work that way and it doesnt really matter how you feel or what you( the normal law abiding citizen) would be deterred by.. it matters what the badguy thinks/feels ( and he probably dont think like you)
Crazy on Meth or Fet or Caine or Alcohol (or in combinations) and doing crime, for sure they don't think like me nor I them. Correct that some perps care not what you have or what you show. And the gangstas and Hood crowd, and many of the drug crowd, a firearm means nothing. Sure no way to document when a perp has a change of heart when he witnesses open carry but you know it happens.

Back