testtest

Considering my first deer rifle

I'm wanting to start hunting and using a bolt action for my first season for the upcoming fall. Gives me plenty of time to get comfortable with shooting through a scope and getting to know my rifle well.

Living in the Midwest I'm partially limited to straight walls. Apparently, Iowa is no longer limited by these constraints (according to the DNR website) but I can't find any further information on legal calibers that aren't SWCs so that's what I'm sticking with.

Regardless, bolt actions are a whole new world for me and I'm kinda looking for suggestions from you more experienced folk.

The first one on my list is the Ruger Ranch. I like the look of it, the overall size, the price and know in my local area it comes in 450 bushmaster and .350 legend which I've read are two great calibers. (shot placement of course being key and doesn't need mentioning)

Another is the TC Compass. As I understand it TC has really pulled all the stops out with this rifle and it's priced very well.

The last of the ones I've looked at (online only unfortunately) is the Mossberg Patriot.

Any other suggestions? Words of caution? Other caliber suggestions and accompanied rifles to go with it?

Looking forward to the comments in this post.

I'm wanting to start hunting and using a bolt action for my first season for the upcoming fall. Gives me plenty of time to get comfortable with shooting through a scope and getting to know my rifle well.

Living in the Midwest I'm partially limited to straight walls. Apparently, Iowa is no longer limited by these constraints (according to the DNR website) but I can't find any further information on legal calibers that aren't SWCs so that's what I'm sticking with.

Regardless, bolt actions are a whole new world for me and I'm kinda looking for suggestions from you more experienced folk.

The first one on my list is the Ruger Ranch. I like the look of it, the overall size, the price and know in my local area it comes in 450 bushmaster and .350 legend which I've read are two great calibers. (shot placement of course being key and doesn't need mentioning)

Another is the TC Compass. As I understand it TC has really pulled all the stops out with this rifle and it's priced very well.

The last of the ones I've looked at (online only unfortunately) is the Mossberg Patriot.

Any other suggestions? Words of caution? Other caliber suggestions and accompanied rifles to go with it?

What’s your budget range ?
Good bolt guns can go from $400-$3000 depending on what you want.

I'd like to keep the rifle around or under $700 for my first bolt action.
I would recommend a Remington Model 700
Been around a long time. New can fit that budget.
Multiple calibers avail like 6.5 Creed or .270 win
Very universal and good used market for guns if desired to buy that way.
Synthetic or wood

I’m a Weatherby man myself, but have shot many game animals previously with a 700

I am interested in that Mossberg Patriot line myself…
It’s gotten some bashing online but I’m seeing a lot of value there for the $$. I’ve also seen some praise.

Remington is an old name, old standby in deer rifles. But I sometimes wonder about the impact of all these ‘ownership changes’ and relocations etc in the past decade or so (not just Rem, by the way - all of them). And what it’ll do to reputations in coming decades.

I wouldn’t be at all afraid to try a Mossberg rifle, though.

I am interested in that Mossberg Patriot line myself…
It’s gotten some bashing online but I’m seeing a lot of value there for the $$. I’ve also seen some praise.

Remington is an old name, old standby in deer rifles. But I sometimes wonder about the impact of all these ‘ownership changes’ and relocations etc in the past decade or so (not just Rem, by the way - all of them). And what it’ll do to reputations in coming decades.

I wouldn’t be at all afraid to try a Mossberg rifle, though.
Folk'll always find something to bash

I would recommend a Remington Model 700
Been around a long time. New can fit that budget.
Multiple calibers avail like 6.5 Creed or .270 win
Very universal and good used market for guns if desired to buy that way.
Synthetic or wood

I’m a Weatherby man myself, but have shot many game animals previously with a 700
I looked long and hard at the 700 series but couldn't find a SWC model. At least not on my phone. Will have to use my laptop and go from there.

Looks like Iowa requires a caliber between .350 and .450.

You might also look at the Winchester XPR or the Savage Axis II XP in 350 legend.
The Winchester with a 3 - 9 X 40 scope is ~$760 retail.
The Savage with Bushnell 3 - 9 X 40 scope retails at ~$530

Reminton makes a 783 Synthetic heavy barrel model in 450 bushmaster,

My only bolt centerfire rifle is a .243 Savage Axis. Very nice lower priced rifle with a nice trigger.

You should be able to find a decent used Remington Model 700 in 30-06 or.308. They are the most popular rounds for deer hunting and during the ammo drought probably easier to come by. Also, these 2 rounds offer more bullet weights and different types of jacketed rounds to choose from. Ideally, if I was only going to hunt with a bolt action, I'd go retro and shop around for a pre 64 Winchester Model 70.

2377F369-DD3E-4525-9E34-C8494B67DB95.jpeg

https://www.sportsmans.com/shooting...ion-rifle-7mm-remington-magnum-26in/p/1707640

wide open spaces 7mm , or 30.06 if you don’t need as much reach.

I won't suggest any particular brand/mfg of rifle, there are several within your budget numbers that are all good quality and readily available. However, I will suggest that if you have any consideration for a later resale value, then concentrate on the fewer, more well know ones ..... Remington, Winchester, Savage, even Thompson Center. And more importantly than the brand, consider the caliber. Yes, there are many, many folks out there who will praise almost any new or lesser heard of caliber, but the real deer hunters (and you're buying a deer rifle right?) are by far going to prefer a known and proven caliber of many years.

I'm not saying there are no good, recent calibers, and won't argue the value of one against another. But as an old time deer hunter of many, many years, I often smile and even chuckle at some of the ads for some of these new 'tactical' or 'specialty' calibers that a handful of shooters rave about. Those are typically shooters rather than hunters. There is a difference.

For general deer hunting you simply are not going to beat a .270Win or 30/06 for any thin skinned game on the continent and even most heavy weights and especially so if you're a hand loader and can choose your particular load. But be very selective in your choice if a later retail value is in your plans.

Oh yeh .................... and good luck !!!

Back