testtest

Considering my first deer rifle

Limited by straight walled I'd look at 350 legend. Lots of manf's are making new 350 legend rifles and could even move to ar platform if allowed.
I love the old lever action 30-30's. Perfect deer rifle, ideal in heavy foliage.
The Remington 700 is a can't go wrong platform. The after part market is massive and fun! Good luck, Shoot straight!

IA DNR regulations. This is what I'm confined to for hunting deer in my state. I don't speak legalese well. Anyone care to offer how they interpret it. I'll add the disclaimer here and now that you will not be held for any of my actions in this matter.

"The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield."

30-06 is legal in Indiana.

Nevermind, you're in Iowa. But wait.

"Everything that was legal in 2020 is also legal in 2021. In addition, new regulations expanded what is legal for deer hunting. Hunters are no longer limited to using straight-walled cartridge rifles."

Still no 30-06 What the hell kind of stupid rules are these?

Last edited:
IA DNR regulations. This is what I'm confined to for hunting deer in my state. I don't speak legalese well. Anyone care to offer how they interpret it. I'll add the disclaimer here and now that you will not be held for any of my actions in this matter.
I'm not an attorney, nor did I ever stay at a Holiday Inn, but I don't read that as limiting to only straight walled cartridges. I read it as saying that these are the 'only' straight walled cartridges allowed as legal to take deer with.

Some straight walled cartridges are limited in their own capabilities and I'm thinking that's what this statute is saying. I'm thinking a little further reading might be a little more specific in the wording of what calibers are and are not legal. I'd suggest you read a little further.

I don't know, might just be me ..........................................

Well, now that I've read a few more replies to your OP, maybe I did over read. So, I'll say right out that I'm thoroughly confused now. But I can't hardly believe they would limit to only straight walled cartridges for deer, then specify which straight walled cartridges are legal.

What might be the rationale for this requirement of straight walled cartridges only?

Well, now that I've read a few more replies to your OP, maybe I did over read. So, I'll say right out that I'm thoroughly confused now. But I can't hardly believe they would limit to only straight walled cartridges for deer, then specify which straight walled cartridges are legal.

What might be the rationale for this requirement of straight walled cartridges only?
Distance a catridge can travel for safety reasons.
Similar to states having shotgun slugs only for deer

I'm just dumbfounded about these regulations. I've never hunted Iowa so I had no idea. Never hunted anywhere even similar to these.

So, am I understanding correctly that any bottle neck cartridge between .35 and .50 cal (min 500 fp energy) is legal? I can't hunt with the venerable old 30/06 but I can use the .50 BMG?

Wow, now that's sumpin' to ponder on !!! :confused: :confused::confused:

I'm just dumbfounded about these regulations. I've never hunted Iowa so I had no idea. Never hunted anywhere even similar to these.

So, am I understanding correctly that any bottle neck cartridge between .35 and .50 cal (min 500 fp energy) is legal? I can't hunt with the venerable old 30/06 but I can use the .50 BMG?

Ridiculous isn't it ?

Limited by straight walled I'd look at 350 legend. Lots of manf's are making new 350 legend rifles and could even move to ar platform if allowed.
I love the old lever action 30-30's. Perfect deer rifle, ideal in heavy foliage.
The Remington 700 is a can't go wrong platform. The after part market is massive and fun! Good luck, Shoot straight!
.350 legend will more likely be easier to find and be more cost effective. I still see .350 legend in my area for $15.99 a box of 20 rounds.

.350 legend is like a semi auto version of 30-30 by have similar ballistic characteristics.

I'm not an attorney, nor did I ever stay at a Holiday Inn, but I don't read that as limiting to only straight walled cartridges. I read it as saying that these are the 'only' straight walled cartridges allowed as legal to take deer with.

Some straight walled cartridges are limited in their own capabilities and I'm thinking that's what this statute is saying. I'm thinking a little further reading might be a little more specific in the wording of what calibers are and are not legal. I'd suggest you read a little further.

I don't know, might just be me ..........................................
Well I took that screenshot from the website and finally got ahold of someone. They said that bottle neck cartridges that meet those dimensions ( .350-.500) are legal. The ones listed are the most commonly asked about SWC.

That's what I gathered from the dude I spoke with.

"The new legal cartridges include, but are not limited to, the .243 Winchester, .30-30 Winchester, .300 AAC Blackout, and .30-06 Springfield."

30-06 is legal in Indiana.

Nevermind, you're in Iowa. But wait.

"Everything that was legal in 2020 is also legal in 2021. In addition, new regulations expanded what is legal for deer hunting. Hunters are no longer limited to using straight-walled cartridge rifles."

Still no 30-06 What the hell kind of stupid rules are these?
Or 30-30 or 300 AAC (Blackout)..

It's politicians that are the problem. The good news is Iowa has come a LONG way in restoring rights in the last few years.

That's a poorly written statute, to be sure. I read it as saying anything .35 caliber and over up to .50 caliber is legal during youth hunts, disabled hunts, and the two shotgun seasons. I don't see anything in there about regular rifle season. Maybe there isn't one. Me, if those restrictions apply everywhere and to all seasons, I would get a .45/70 lever action. I don't know the hunting terrain in Iowa at all but here in Minnesota you aren't taking many shots past 100 yards. A .45/70 is murder at those ranges and will be precise enough to hit the sweet spot.

That's a poorly written statute, to be sure. I read it as saying anything .35 caliber and over up to .50 caliber is legal during youth hunts, disabled hunts, and the two shotgun seasons. I don't see anything in there about regular rifle season. Maybe there isn't one. Me, if those restrictions apply everywhere and to all seasons, I would get a .45/70 lever action. I don't know the hunting terrain in Iowa at all but here in Minnesota you aren't taking many shots past 100 yards. A .45/70 is murder at those ranges and will be precise enough to hit the sweet spot.
There wasn't a rifle season. The SWC was blended in with the shotgun seasons

Distance a catridge can travel for safety reasons.
Similar to states having shotgun slugs only for deer
In Virginia the deer season west of the Blue Ridge (west of Rt 29) is limited to the last two weeks of November where in the rest of the state (east of Rt 29) the season continues to the first Saturday in January with a few exceptions. West of Rt 29 hunting with rifles are allowed, but one cannot chase deer with dogs. East of the Blue Ridge running dogs is allowed, but if one runs dogs only a shotgun is allowed. There are some counties that allows one to hunt with a rifle if not running dogs. In many counties in eastern Va it's unlawful to hunt with a rifle, pistol, or revolver of a caliber larger than .22 caliber or with a shotgun loaded with slugs, except that rifles of a larger caliber, shotguns loaded with slugs and pistols or revolvers firing cartridges rated in manufacturers’ tables at 350 foot pounds of energy or greater may be used to hunt from a stand elevated at least 10 feet from the ground, provided that no cartridge shall be used with a bullet of less than .23 caliber. Each year the General Assembly enacts new laws and things are always changing.

https://dwr.virginia.gov/hunting/regulations/

In Virginia the deer season west of the Blue Ridge (west of Rt 29) is limited to the last two weeks of November where in the rest of the state (east of Rt 29) the season continues to the first Saturday in January with a few exceptions. West of Rt 29 hunting with rifles are allowed, but one cannot chase deer with dogs. East of the Blue Ridge running dogs is allowed, but if one runs dogs only a shotgun is allowed. There are some counties that allows one to hunt with a rifle if not running dogs. In many counties in eastern Va it's unlawful to hunt with a rifle, pistol, or revolver of a caliber larger than .22 caliber or with a shotgun loaded with slugs, except that rifles of a larger caliber, shotguns loaded with slugs and pistols or revolvers firing cartridges rated in manufacturers’ tables at 350 foot pounds of energy or greater may be used to hunt from a stand elevated at least 10 feet from the ground, provided that no cartridge shall be used with a bullet of less than .23 caliber. Each year the General Assembly enacts new laws and things are always changing.

1643309695882.gif

Eastwood would say “ you goin’ to shoot deer or whistle Dixie ?”

Back