testtest

Could deer hunters with modern day rifles have made a difference at the Alamo?

No. He was promoted to Brevet Brigadier General and later to Brevet Major General of Volunteers. He knew that neither promotion was permanent

He never held a Regular Army commission any higher than Lieutenant Colonel
You're correct, I was using the term General loosely since I knew it was volunteers and just didn't see the need to go into big, detailed explanations. In any event according to all sources, Custer was very bitter about what he saw as a demotion. Peace!

In any event according to all sources, Custer was very bitter about what he saw as a demotion. Peace!
This is the first I've ever read the Custer was bitter about losing his General stars (I can't even call it a "demotion" since he knew it was a temporary commission when he got it. That's what  Brevet means) that he knew he was going to lose when he got them.

regardless of what source you get info from, it's when and how the last source wrote it and hopefully maintains the integrity of hopefully the 1st and reliable source! break down "history"........it's " his story" (whomever 1st wrote it). most of what (this postings) are over is from people WHO weren't there that wrote said info.

This is the first I've ever read the Custer was bitter about losing his General stars (I can't even call it a "demotion" since he knew it was a temporary commission when he got it. That's what  Brevet means) that he knew he was going to lose when he got them.
He was bitter according to my sources about the temporary assignment during the civil war. He felt he deserved more/better treatment. He was an arrogant ass, as I think we've all pretty much agreed, so that stands to reason. He was actually serving time for desertion when he was recalled to fight the indians and assigned the rank of Lt Colonel and put in charge of the 7th. At least that's the way I remember it. (y) OK, now I'm out.

He was bitter according to my sources about the temporary assignment during the civil war. He felt he deserved more/better treatment. He was an arrogant ass, as I think we've all pretty much agreed, so that stands to reason. He was actually serving time for desertion when he was recalled to fight the indians and assigned the rank of Lt Colonel and put in charge of the 7th. At least that's the way I remember it. (y) OK, now I'm out.
Let's just say that your sources are a little different than mine and I'm going to leave it at that.

20240526_172327.jpg

You could fill a library full of books about Custer. These three or some of the best I've read.

The last one is actually a compendium of articles that were written about Custer during his lifetime.

It gives us a historically accurate view of what his contemporaries thought about him

Ever seen "The Final Countdown", this line of questioning is along those same lines.
State of the art in 1836 is ancient compared to even an early 20th century hunter with a Winchester 1894 in 30-30, hell, 1880s state militias shooting Henry's and Spencer rifles could've leveled Sant'annas army with an ample supply of ammunition, nevermind what a group of present day hunters/shooters could do.

Ever seen "The Final Countdown", this line of questioning is along those same lines.
State of the art in 1836 is ancient compared to even an early 20th century hunter with a Winchester 1894 in 30-30, hell, 1880s state militias shooting Henry's and Spencer rifles could've leveled Sant'annas army with an ample supply of ammunition, nevermind what a group of present day hunters/shooters could do.
The Final Countdown was one of my favorite 80s movies.

View attachment 58801
Pretty interesting book. One of the things that the author posits is that Custer had a history of beating numerically superior forces armed with Stone Age weaponry by using modern weaponry.

He said it wasn't uncommon and based on that it wasn't as insane as people think it was for Custer to attack the village.

He also debunks the Custer was running for president myth by pointing out that there's not a single person that heard Custer say that and by pointing out that Custer had been offered numerous figurehead jobs that would have made him independently wealthy and turn them all down because he wanted to stay in the Army. Donovan speculates that Custer wanted to defeat the Indians to get promoted.

Donovan doesn't say this but it is also a historical fact that's a Democrats had already picked their nominee for the 1876 elections before The Battle of The Little Bighorn.

I personally believe that if Custer had won at Little Bighorn we wouldn't know his name today.
His history fighting indians was almost entirely surprising sleeping villages and killing a lot of women and children.

There is a phenomenon called super refraction. It can and sometimes does cause a mirage. It's a bending of light rays that causes mirages, and sometimes will make things appear to float. However they are usually, but not always attributed to conditions of high moisture content in the air.

My point was that even if Custer could have seen the hill tops from 14 miles away, he would not have been able to see the camp in the lower valleys

I truly doubt that was an event during the mid day from 'Lookout Hill'. My stated calcs were simple numbers based on common formulas. But these mirages will only display what could ordinarily be seen normally, they can't lift an object up and out of a valley for instance. One will see the higher points almost as if they were actually visable, but nothing that is normally blocked from normal vision. Think of it like seeing a boat mirage, but you won't be able to see it's anchor. Good point though. (y)jj
Go there and see for yourself Joe.

View attachment 58818

You could fill a library full of books about Custer. These three or some of the best I've read.

The last one is actually a compendium of articles that were written about Custer during his lifetime.

It gives us a historically accurate view of what his contemporaries thought about him
The one on the left I read for the first time when I was 7 or 8 years old. I have a couple copies of it laying around here somewhere right now. Parts of it have been criticized by other scholars for taking license with some inconsequential bits, but it's fairly accurate historically.

That's a Myth he graduated number 34 in a class of 108.

One of the things that Donovan talks about in his book is that Custer was a lackadaisical Cadet but he wasn't dumb.

He would get all the way down to his last demerit before expulsion then he would buckle down and not get  any demerits until until he worked them off.
If you ain't first you're last. ;):D

Almost all of the officers in the 7th had brevet ranks above their official ranks; Reno, Bentsen, et.al. Custer was a cav officer. Cav officers were expected to be dashing, impetuous and risk-taking. They did the scouting for the infantry and artillery, who plodded along on foot, in wagons or on caissons hauled behind broken down cav nags. To expect Custer, or any other cavalry regimental commander, to not push the limits would be to go against expectations and tradition. Remember COL Sturgis was the 7th Cavalry regimental commander, Custer was the XO.

Back