testtest

Cross-dominance, help

HotRod

Operator
Founding Member
I've been noticing that my sight picture is drifting. I used to be strongly right eye dominate but i'm noticing more and more that i'm picking up the left side of the sight when i present. I'm having to tape up my left lens sometimes when i shoot now. Any ideas of exercises or things i can do to maintain stronger right eye dominance? Maybe it's just time to put red dots on everything.

I've been noticing that my sight picture is drifting. I used to be strongly right eye dominate but i'm noticing more and more that i'm picking up the left side of the sight when i present. I'm having to tape up my left lens sometimes when i shoot now. Any ideas of exercises or things i can do to maintain stronger right eye dominance? Maybe it's just time to put red dots on everything.
I'll admit, the Hellcat OSP is really making me think that I need a red dot on my CCW pistol. The fact the iron sights cowitness through the optic makes me think it's a no-lose deal kind of thing....

Focus less on the sights and more on the target. I don't have any eye issues, but makes for faster target acquisition. I look and then point.

Eye dominance actually *can* change - and this is typically due to differences in both eye position and how big or small the "target" is, as well as can be affected by eye fatigue.

However, inconsistencies in our presentation of the gun can also affect eye dominance (which can be made especially hard for those who have incomplete dominance to begin with).

So, my questions, before we take this discussion further:

(1) Are you noticing this switch happening as your shooting session progresses in duration? (i.e. fatigue issue)
(2) Are you seeing the "swap" occurring due to the target size/distance?
(3) Are you picking up a different eye with your sights because of small differences in how you are presenting the gun?

^ Towards the latter, when you notice your sight picture swapping/drifting, is it because you're at full extension, having concentrated too long on the sights (back to fatigue), or is it as you are presenting the gun out from your face to full extension (in which case the switch between dominance may be caused due to the relative position between the sights and the target being in-flux, during the actual movement)? Or, as a last possibility, is it because you're actually somehow presenting the gun just slightly differently (maybe you've been doing some reading or have taken some training and are trying out a new stance or presentation)?

Incomplete dominance is also something that folks can suffer from. Sometimes, this combined with just the simple process of aging-related eyesight changes (maybe one eye is "better" than the other), can cause unexpected switching in dominance, too.

Last edited:
I'm right handed and left eye dominant and have been so all my life. Over the years I've forced myself to shoot with both eyes open.

Now I have been right handed, left eyed and left footed. I can't throw left handed, but I'm a switch hitter, shoot ether handed and have no backhand in tennis! In boxing my southpaw in a right handed stance throws everyone off.

1580312667648.jpeg

He has same issue, seriously, I have not done this, but my brother is left handed but uses right eye to line up his sights, me, I am right eye dominant and shoot right handed.

Wear a pair of sunglasses. Take the lense out of your dominate eye and leave the dark lense in your non dominate eye side. This will automatically send the signal to your brain to use the bright side without the dark lense. Looks a little different, but will help you keep your dominate eye.

Back