testtest

dang i hate this crap.

Old_Me

Ronin
our washing machine conked out.

you go to put water into the machine, and nothing.

i think it could be the water valve, at least many online say that it is.

so i call the Sears repair service (A&E) and i had an appointment for today (tuesday) my range day.

the "window" for the guy to get here is from 8 AM till 5PM...

oh great, i gotta stay home all day..??

i made this appointment sunday

i get a call, minutes ago, "the tech will not be there today, we have to reschedule to next tuesday he's not here"

from me.."this is BAD, really BAD, i have a 3 family house here, i need that machine to be working". "did he quit, is he sick, what,,,what..??"

she.."sorry, i cannot tell you, but next tuesday unless we get a cancellation"

"ok, next tuesday"

i start to look up parts companies for a nearly 30 year old washer, and found one, that has new Kenmore parts.

i ordered up a new water valve.....like $35 with shipping fedex, by thursday.

dam, i used to fix cars when i was younger, i have tools, i'll give this a try.

many youtube videos, i have already viewed.

i'll be damned if i miss another range day, cuz some numbrain cannot be here, as promised.

i DO NOT LIKE excuses when an appointment is made, and i gotta stay here all stinking day

our washing machine conked out.

you go to put water into the machine, and nothing.

i think it could be the water valve, at least many online say that it is.

so i call the Sears repair service (A&E) and i had an appointment for today (tuesday) my range day.

the "window" for the guy to get here is from 8 AM till 5PM...

oh great, i gotta stay home all day..??

i made this appointment sunday

i get a call, minutes ago, "the tech will not be there today, we have to reschedule to next tuesday he's not here"

from me.."this is BAD, really BAD, i have a 3 family house here, i need that machine to be working". "did he quit, is he sick, what,,,what..??"

she.."sorry, i cannot tell you, but next tuesday unless we get a cancellation"

"ok, next tuesday"

i start to look up parts companies for a nearly 30 year old washer, and found one, that has new Kenmore parts.

i ordered up a new water valve.....like $35 with shipping fedex, by thursday.

dam, i used to fix cars when i was younger, i have tools, i'll give this a try.

many youtube videos, i have already viewed.

i'll be damned if i miss another range day, cuz some numbrain cannot be here, as promised.

i DO NOT LIKE excuses when an appointment is made, and i gotta stay here all stinking day
I know how you feel, Sears has the worst
repair service ever, few years back we bought a Samsung tv, about a week afterwards the speakers started vibrating, called them up, tech replaced speakers but still did it, he said it was the sound board, which I kinda figured out myself. Two trips with the wrong replacement boards, the last one Sears told the tech since the plug in was different, just cut off the plug and twist the wires together and use a wire nut. I told him hell no you’re not doing that. He left and I called Sears back up and told them was his plan was, they said no way, got a new tv over night, glad they closed in our area, worthless repair policy.

If someone has Facebook in the household, you might be able to use your local marketplace to find a cheap/free washing machine. While you wait if it’s a must have and waiting a week is not ideal. I have gotten lucky in the past especially since sometimes people are moving and don’t want to take them or leave them.

Unfortunately, it's the way of the world these days; everyone's time is precious, excluding yours/ours. Thirty years running, though, isn't too shabby! Best of luck with everything.
yeah, its not any sort of a digital electronics, its all manual buttons. the thing is built like a tank.

so to spend (say) under $200 for a repair is worth it to us.

just those digital boards alone are like $400..... :eek: ...on some machines.

"throw away society".......i say BULL:poop:

if i can get along with repairs, i will, provided they do not cost more than the national debt.

yeah, its not any sort of a digital electronics, its all manual buttons. the thing is built like a tank.

so to spend (say) under $200 for a repair is worth it to us.

just those digital boards alone are like $400..... :eek: ...on some machines.

"throw away society".......i say BULL:poop:

if i can get along with repairs, i will, provided they do not cost more than the national debt.
Agreed! They don't build things the way they used to. There used to be pride in manufacturing, now it's just the love of the almighty profit dollar. We live in a throw away society and technology will be the death of us (read..A.I.).

I say fix it yourself. And when they call to tell you he is on his way, tell them okay. When he shows up, tell him you don't need him. It just started working.
well, i certainly will try this myself.

however, IF and i say IF i get it working, provided it is the water valve, i will email or call them early monday evening to cancel......you know...."last minute"......

i'd not want to do it any sooner or later, "just in case" they add a charge to my bill, the next time i might have to call them.

the Mrs and i, and nearly all our kids, always bought appliance at sears. name branded products, just sold under the sears banner.

at the time, you could be "extended warranties" to cover you for like 5 to 10 years.

it was worth the nominal cost for peace of mind when we bought things.

if in the future we need a new washer/drier, there are certainly small mom/pop places that still have a service dept near us.

that's the thing not only now a days, but anytime...

repair service with factory parts, hopefully not made by the C.H. Ina company.

I know your frustration Old_Me. 2 years ago I bought a EGO trimmer because the company had a high rating . So the first of this month my step daughter was using it and the trimmer spool assembly came apart. She brought it to me and handed me the parts . Just one small part wasn't there.

I decided I would order the part I needed and get a new lock nut since it had came loose . So I call the place I had bought the trimmer from ( Lowe's ) and find out that they don't order parts for EGO trimmers , they just sell them.

I call all the lawn mower repair shops , who also work on trimmers , to no avail. I finally get hold ofa hardware store in a town 25 miles away who tell me they can order the parts I need. Well that turned into a joke.

So I found a place online called Parts Warehouse and placed an order. However according to them the parts I need are on back order and won't ship until the 27th of this month.

What happened to the old days of being able to walk into a hardware store and buy just about anything you needed to fix something around the home. :mad:

I know your frustration Old_Me. 2 years ago I bought a EGO trimmer because the company had a high rating . So the first of this month my step daughter was using it and the trimmer spool assembly came apart. She brought it to me and handed me the parts . Just one small part wasn't there.

I decided I would order the part I needed and get a new lock nut since it had came loose . So I call the place I had bought the trimmer from ( Lowe's ) and find out that they don't order parts for EGO trimmers , they just sell them.

I call all the lawn mower repair shops , who also work on trimmers , to no avail. I finally get hold ofa hardware store in a town 25 miles away who tell me they can order the parts I need. Well that turned into a joke.

So I found a place online called Parts Warehouse and placed an order. However according to them the parts I need are on back order and won't ship until the 27th of this month.

What happened to the old days of being able to walk into a hardware store and buy just about anything you needed to fix something around the home. :mad:
there are still a few old fashion hardware stores near me. however some of those "old parts" that were needed are fading away as well.

i had to build a "simple gate" a few years ago.

i wanted simple "lift off hinges" so i could remove the gate anytime i needed to.

the ones i wanted had like a loop for the bottom, and a "rod" for the top......simple lifting off of the gate

that old hardware store, HAD them, then guy told me they don't carry them any more, i need to get "regular hinges"

they (sorta) looked like these...

40JK86_AS01

but i needed the mounting brackets to go side to side, not up/down

I hear ya papa. I have several EGO lawn tools and I really like them, but I agree parts (such as Chainsaw chains or larger bars), are difficult to find in any stores around (like Lowes). I have their 22" Self propelled mower which stopped self propelling after 6 years. Select ACE hardware stores are their authorized repair shops (and also sell them). One was close so I took it in and the guy say "yeah, it's the master control board. Common problem, I'll order it and have it back to you in no time". I like the EGO mower since it's very light and with self propel, I can do the very steep incline hills I have in front and sides of my yard. So the guy puts in the board, still doesn't work and says "do you want me to continue debugging the problem". I say yeah, put the old board back in (since it worked), and he says "we can't since I throw the old board away". Well already now down $130 for the new board, I told him to go ahead and find the problem. The mower broke in early June and I'm using a Honda self propelled mower which is heavier then heck. September rolls around and he still can't find the problem. Well I'm too old to continue with the Honda mower (but not as old as papa :sneaky:), and Lowes has another EGO Gen 2 Self Propelled 22" for $100 off (came with another 7.5 amp battery and fast charger), so I get that, get the old one back that still works but I have to push it now (use it to mulch leaves on the driveway not really concerned on the blade now). I'm guessing that the problem is in the wiring harness and the wire that controls the self propel function broke from the folding / unfolding of the handle during winter storage all those year.

Washers and dryers are pretty easy to work on, i have rebuilt a few of them. sounds like the control panel that tells it to put water in. that would be what i would test first. since you ordered the valve already may as well give it a go.
yeah, if it happens to be the knob to set the wash cycle, at least if i replace that valve, all he will have to do is go and get another one, and not fully take apart the machine.

so for the $35.00 i'll take that chance.

yeah, if it happens to be the knob to set the wash cycle, at least if i replace that valve, all he will have to do is go and get another one, and not fully take apart the machine.

so for the $35.00 i'll take that chance.
Had the problem with the wash cycle knob on my Whirlpool washer. Looked online for a replacement knob, and found one that says "fits all Whirlpool washers". It should have included "except BET7's" :mad:. Metal thread insert was too small, so I went out and bought a set of threaded taps (who knows when they could come in handy), drilled and re-tapped it to correct size and got it going (better than using vise grips to turn the darn wash cycle post each time). I think it's actually better made than the knob that came with the washer and has now lasted longer than the original.
Good luck with your repair Old_Me, I know I'd hate to have to find a laundromat to do laundry, which I almost had to do.

Had the problem with the wash cycle knob on my Whirlpool washer. Looked online for a replacement knob, and found one that says "fits all Whirlpool washers". It should have included "except BET7's" :mad:. Metal thread insert was too small, so I went out and bought a set of threaded taps (who knows when they could come in handy), drilled and re-tapped it to correct size and got it going (better than using vise grips to turn the darn wash cycle post each time). I think it's actually better made than the knob that came with the washer and has now lasted longer than the original.
Good luck with your repair Old_Me, I know I'd hate to have to find a laundromat to do laundry, which I almost had to do.
yeah, laundromats here are like Dunkin Donuts, at nearly every corner..

but i have to go very early in the morning as no one is there, but the attendant.

also too, i am up so early and the laundromat i go to is 24/7.

that's where i take the large bedspreads or comforters, that don't fit into our machines (washer and drier)

then they have a "debit card" system, you load up their card, and just insert that into the machines.

I tried to fix a 20 yr old Whirlpool (GE) washer, it started to act up after the load was so out of balance and wouldn’t agitate for nothing. I was able to drain the water, but clothes had to be wrung out.
Started to disassemble this thing and wasn’t easy but i managed to prop up the outer shell to take a gander at the transmission- something I managed to replace once years ago. I even opening up the control panel to check switches.
Well after all that I found nothing obvious and began searching for a new one. Couple days later after leaving the washer unplugged, I put it back together so it would be easier to carry out. Out of curiosity sake, I started it up, filled it, ran through the entire cycle like nothing was ever wrong.

Bottom line - found these new electronic units have some sort of “limp mode” to prevent damage of out of balance loads spin that would also cause the erratic agitator too.

In the future you might try repairclinic.com. Tons of parts for appliances and outdoor equipment and many parts have videos for installation. Can't say if they have parts for a 30+ year old machine, but you never know.
i use them MORE THAN THE LAW ALLOWS find right part number and then amazon it for less money
but last month we gave in after 20 plus years on the old kenmoore and its rebuild and got a new all in one GE
its a freaking game changer and at the time 1ks less than buying 2 machines washer and dryer

Attachments

• 20230624_162448.jpg
    20230624_162448.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 46
Back