testtest

danged squirrels

so i went and did a few errands yesterday (Monday) and when i got home, i was going to water my garden.

wouldn't you know it, a dang squirrel ate away several leaves of my eggplant?

not enough to kill the plant, thank God.

so i had some "chicken wire" and i made 4 "cages" to protect them and the 'mater plants.

(i only have 4 in total).

earlier today, i bought an owl, to put into the garde, but this one, the head does not move.

when i go to the range in a little bit, i am going to stop at the Tractor Supply store across the street, they have the movable head owl.

frankly, i did not even think of that place, as they are far and very few in my state.

next, if i have to.....

this will be me, protecting my veggies....

170803-javelin-missile-ac-646p.jpg

how do some of your protect your veggie gardens, from the rodents?

Sherman tanks? M1A1 Abrams tanks?

LARS rockets..??

a squadron of Special Forces..???
Dang Old_Me, that's a mighty fine lookin' squirrel gun right there now. I bet that ammo is pretty danged expensive though ... huh? Me, I just got a little boy's model .22cal. But I have to use the same gun to keep the pigeons out of my farmer friend's hay barn too. He used to pay me 1¢ a pigeon to shoot 'em, till I found out it was costin' me 1 and a half ¢ for the ammo. So to save money, I told him to just forget payin' me anything at all.

But they do really eat good ..... the squirrels, the pigeons not so much! jj

Dang Old_Me, that's a mighty fine lookin' squirrel gun right there now. I bet that ammo is pretty danged expensive though ... huh? Me, I just got a little boy's model .22cal. But I have to use the same gun to keep the pigeons out of my farmer friend's hay barn too. He used to pay me 1¢ a pigeon to shoot 'em, till I found out it was costin' me 1 and a half ¢ for the ammo. So to save money, I told him to just forget payin' me anything at all.

But they do really eat good ..... the squirrels, the pigeons not so much! jj
Those pigeons are just a bigger version of a Dove. Cut out the breast meat , fry with gravy and biscuits , maybe some mashed taters and UMMMM UM . ;)

I pretty much extincted squirrels in my part of town about a decade ago with a .22 air rifle and CCI CB Longs in a common .22 LR bolt rifle. Ask me if you need details. ;)
unfortunately, i live in a city setting. houses way too close to one another.

BB guns can be heard. BB guns can be seen. People WILL call the cops.

i'd be left to more quieter forms of eradication. like setting a trap of some sort.

also too, squirrels populate like crazy when their food supply, like tree nuts, and people giving them peanuts and bird seeds are available.

the more natural foods they get, the more they populate, and the more dead bodies in the streets.

"thump-thump" goes the sounds when the cars run them down........

crash, bang, pow, goes the sounds when some moron slams on the brakes, to avoid hitting the hairy-tailed rodents, and other cars crash into them......

UPDATE: Sept 22, 2023

well this week i cleaned up the garden, of the last vegetable plant, and now all i have is flowers. soon, they will be pulled up and put into the garden waste recycling bags.

i actually had a very good crop of eggplants, at least 23 of them, but 3 were not good enough for eating......so 20 that were cooked up, and tossed into the freezer.

the tomato plants suffered from the extreme humidity, heat, and then constant flooding rains...i think we managed 5 tomatoes in total, from the 2 plants.

the plastic forks worked, the ammonia tubs worked (4 of them at the corners of the garden), and the owls worked, especially the "Linda Blair" rotating head.

in fact, i just finished trimming the privacy bushes around the garden, in prep for winter, soon i will have to take all the potted perennials and move them to the deep end of the garden, cover them with plastic, to protect from the snow/ice soon to come.

the potted plants get moved, cuz i need to dump all the snow where they are now.

ahhhhhh..what a freaking joy it is.......squirrels, heat, humidity, rain, and the ever long wait for Missouri Bullets to fill my order, (been nearly a month now and still waiting), and Midsouth Shooters Supply to actually pick and pull my order......

if those companies can only spoil me like Amazon Prime can........and deliver the next day

then squirrels BE DAMMNED........!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old_ME, I'm no expert on gardening, but thought I was fair at it till now .... Please tell me more about this: "the plastic forks worked, the ammonia tubs worked (4 of them at the corners of the garden)".

These are a couple techniques I've not heard of, and I won't sleep at all tonight if I don't find out more about it. Thanks. jj

Old_ME, I'm no expert on gardening, but thought I was fair at it till now .... Please tell me more about this: "the plastic forks worked, the ammonia tubs worked (4 of them at the corners of the garden)".

These are a couple techniques I've not heard of, and I won't sleep at all tonight if I don't find out more about it. Thanks. jj
the plastic forks is even on google....you surround your plant with the forks, tines facing out...

the squirrel brushes up against it, and runs away....cats too, if they like your huge back yard litter box.....

the ammonia in tubs (like i can't believe it butter, cool whip, etc), drill like 4 to 6 holes in the lid.

fill half to 3/4's with ammonia.

place lid....put around the garden at various places.

animals/rodents walk in, sniff around, smell the ammonia, and beat feet outta dodge.

if using plastic owls, place in various spots in the garden, and move them around at least once every 1-2 weeks, so the rodents don't get "used" to seeing them in the same spot.

it worked all this stuff for me at least.

another rodent/animal deterrent if wolf or coyote pee, either buy online or feed/farm supply stores, or even some hardware stores...BUT...that has the be reapplied often due to rain, or the odor dissipating over time.

i do not have a farm/feed store near me any more, so i just did not bother with the "pee" method.

the plastic forks is even on google....you surround your plant with the forks, tines facing out...

the squirrel brushes up against it, and runs away....cats too, if they like your huge back yard litter box.....

the ammonia in tubs (like i can't believe it butter, cool whip, etc), drill like 4 to 6 holes in the lid.

fill half to 3/4's with ammonia.

place lid....put around the garden at various places.

animals/rodents walk in, sniff around, smell the ammonia, and beat feet outta dodge.

if using plastic owls, place in various spots in the garden, and move them around at least once every 1-2 weeks, so the rodents don't get "used" to seeing them in the same spot.

it worked all this stuff for me at least.

another rodent/animal deterrent if wolf or coyote pee, either buy online or feed/farm supply stores, or even some hardware stores...BUT...that has the be reapplied often due to rain, or the odor dissipating over time.

i do not have a farm/feed store near me any more, so i just did not bother with the "pee" method.
Well thanks for the info. I had never heard of either the fork thing or the ammonia trick. Thanks again Old_Me.

I half-buried chicken wire with the ends cut in such a manner so the were spiked upward and surrounded all side around the flower planters. Squirrels managed to flatten down the wire and still went to town digging up the spring flowers.
Using bone meal for planting bulbs….big mistake too.

Used some stanky deer repellent spray on the planters and on the soil, seems to work until it washes off or rains.

Back