01 Hellcat PRO.jpg

Hellcat PRO?

02 Echelon.jpg

Echelon?

03 XD45.jpg

XD-45?

04 XDm Elite.jpg

XDm Elite in 10mm?

I traded my Hellcat RDP for the Echelon. Have no doubts Hellcats are very popular. Probably my fault but I couldn't achieve combat accuracy with it. I installed a Powder River trigger and mounted a Holosun EPS red dot on the Echelon. It is now my primary daily carry pistol.

Living here in California, the Echelon is out. I own the Hellcat and XD 45 but my preference would be the Hellcat for EDC all day every day. The 45 is a winter carry or those times when I walk the track with my spouse and I am wearing heavy sweat pants.

Know you don't care for aftermarket triggers. The Powder River kit did reduce pull weight by over a pound and greatly reduced take up and over travel. Cut me some slack on this one.
I don’t mind aftermarket triggers. I have one in my P30L. I wasn’t impressed with the Apex in my buddy’s Shield or I’d have put one in my Shield .45. I am a fan of very little over travel, short, crisp, audible reset and pull weights in the 3-4 lb range.

And I’ve heard nothing but good things about PRP.

I don’t mind aftermarket triggers. I have one in my P30L. I wasn’t impressed with the Apex in my buddy’s Shield or I’d have put one in my Shield .45. I am a fan of very little over travel, short, crisp, audible reset and pull weights in the 3-4 lb range.

And I’ve heard nothing but good things about PRP.
I did not get good results with an Apex trigger in a Shield .40. It appears I made a mistake on your stand on aftermarket trigger kits. Sorry

I did not get good results with an Apex trigger in a Shield .40. It appears I made a mistake on your stand on aftermarket trigger kits. Sorry
No need to apologize brother. In reality I'm not hung up on it either way. I am definitely not someone who thinks all the internet lawyers are correct about modifying a carry gun. If I want to change my trigger I will and there isn't a single example anyone can point to if it mattering in a justified SD shooting. On the flip side, I rarely change them. Trigger jobs on 1911s aside, I really only have one with a non stock trigger and it came to me that way. To be fair I would have changed it to the exact aftermarket set up it came to me with if I had bought it new as well though. To me it was a lovely bonus that I didn't have to spend that money to do it, as it was already done. GG flat trigger kit is a must in a P30.

Triggers are so subjective and we all have our own standards for what we like in a trigger. You know what you like and if that comes from a trigger kit so be it. I don’t like a lot of pre-travel , but I do like a little bit of squish so I can stage the trigger - like a typical Sig trigger - and I like as short a reset as I can get. The biggest pain about a trigger kit is uninstalling it if you don’t like it. VP9s are a PITA as are FN 509s.

RCoulter52- Your choices are all fine firearms. That said, it all depends on purpose, such as target, self defense, home defense, every day carry, etc. You'll also need to determine how each fits and feels in your hand, as well as the concealment factor if you intend to carry and the holster(s) you'll want to complete the package. Finally, you might want to find a range with rentals or friends who own these and shoot a box of ammo in each pistol. As none of us here know of your experience with pistols, only you can decide which one is right for you. The only one of the four you presented that I own is the Hellcat, which is one of my three EDC's and sees a lot of carries. Mine is the OSP version with a Shield RMSc optic, 15 round magazines, and carried Pocket, IWB, and OWB depending on attire, agenda, etc. Good luck with your search!

Last edited:
RCoulter52- Your choices are all fine firearms. That said, it all depends on purpose, such as target, self defense, home defense, every day carry, etc. You'll also need to determine how each fits and feels in your hand, as well as the concealment factor if you intend to carry and the holster(s) you'll want to complete the package. Finally, you might want to find a range with rentals or friends who own these and shoot a box of ammo in each pistol. As none of us here know of your experience with pistols, only you can decide which one is right for you. The only one of the four you presented that I own is the Hellcat, which is one of my three EDC's and sees a lot of carries. Mine is the OSP version with a Shield RMSc optic, 15 round magazines, and carried Pocket, IWB, and OWB depending on attire, agenda, etc. Good luck with your search!
I have tried all of them, Lock n' Load. These are all mine. The subject was intended to be tongue in cheek. Sorry for the confusion.

Back