testtest

Deer season fever has started!

Sitting or stalking quietly, being out in nature, (trying to stay!) alert to the sights and sounds around you is, in my opinion, the reward from hunting. Getting something for the freezer is just a bonus!
This has been my experience so far. And I have rather enjoyed it. Some of the most peaceful times in my life, and I am normally not one to just sit and "do nothing."

With that being said, for the price of all the equipment invested into hunting, and the price of ground beef, getting some meat in the freezer would be nice.

0B1A9980-FBD3-4A2D-96F4-26B0B31FF804.jpeg
1CE5E8BD-88FE-4E00-BD49-4E8B2EAD8A81.jpeg

This has been my experience so far. And I have rather enjoyed it. Some of the most peaceful times in my life, and I am normally not one to just sit and "do nothing."

With that being said, for the price of all the equipment invested into hunting, and the price of ground beef, getting some meat in the freezer would be nice.
LOL! Love your attitude and optimism, but as I reflect back over probably 60+ years of pretty hard core deer hunting, I'm pretty sure I never even broke even when comparing the amount of 'meat in the freezer' to the cost's of hunting (guns, ammo, licenses, permits, travel, camps, calls, stands, hours involved....... although time in the woods is most often a pleasure, time is often also money, etc, etc, etc) to the pounds of meat in the freezer, I'm pretty sure I'm a little ;):D behind. And I've been a very fortunate man and probably taken at least my fair share of white tails over the many years .... at least enough that if I never got another I wouldn't care one bit. I'll bet there are several others here with pretty much that same thought.

Not something I would ever complain about, but it is what it is! Go for it as long as you can and enjoy it my friend. Enjoy it for what it is and don't even concern yourself with how much meat in the freezer. And best of luck to you.

BTW, all that about 'putting meat in the freezer' is exactly the line we always give the wife to justify the next hunting trip, new rifle or shotgun, time away from the 'honey-do list/s, etc. LOL! (y)

Edit: show us some of your harvest from time to time PAGunGuy ..... some of you other lucky-dogs as well!

For years my wife and I cut up the hams and shoulders into roasts and cut the loin into strips. The small stuff went through the seal-a-meal and the larger cuts were wrapped in butcher paper. All of it filled up the freezer. Now I take the hams, shoulders, and loin to a wild-game meat processer. When he's finished I end of with at least 6 long rolls of summer sausage and a gallon bag of jerky. It's worth every penny, and it will be all comsumed by the time the next season rolls around!

LOL! Love your attitude and optimism, but as I reflect back over probably 60+ years of pretty hard core deer hunting, I'm pretty sure I never even broke even when comparing the amount of 'meat in the freezer' to the cost's of hunting (guns, ammo, licenses, permits, travel, camps, calls, stands, hours involved....... although time in the woods is most often a pleasure, time is often also money, etc, etc, etc) to the pounds of meat in the freezer, I'm pretty sure I'm a little ;):D behind. And I've been a very fortunate man and probably taken at least my fair share of white tails over the many years .... at least enough that if I never got another I wouldn't care one bit. I'll bet there are several others here with pretty much that same thought.

Not something I would ever complain about, but it is what it is! Go for it as long as you can and enjoy it my friend. Enjoy it for what it is and don't even concern yourself with how much meat in the freezer. And best of luck to you.

BTW, all that about 'putting meat in the freezer' is exactly the line we always give the wife to justify the next hunting trip, new rifle or shotgun, time away from the 'honey-do list/s, etc. LOL! (y)

Edit: show us some of your harvest from time to time PAGunGuy ..... some of you other lucky-dogs as well!
Unfortunatley, no harvest this year. But I did have a good time.

This was my first year of traveling the night before and staying in a hunting cabin. The cabin was built in 09, but the property has been in the owner's family for like 150 years. Inside the cabin there is a wall with many, many antler ounts, most all initial and dated. The owner knew the story of all of them. It was a great experience.
The night before was filled with a lot of stories and a little Scotch. Woke up before sun up and out in the woods before first light
Took quads about half way, then hiked the rest. (only about a mile total).
Spent a few hours in my spot, back to cabin for lunch, then out to a different spot until it was too dark.

As far as money vs. meat in the freezer, that's a very valid point

So far right now I don't have a lot of money invested. I only get the basic license each year. My rile was a $200 rifle/scope combo and I have not put many rounds through it. I probably only have another $100 - $150 in clothes and gear so far. Well, I also bought the Mossberg 500, a turkey choke and some turkey shells that I haven't used yet

The last 10 years I rifle hunted I was done by 8:30-9:00 opening morning.
The last 10 years of rifle season I actually hunted with an unscoped .44 magnum revolver.
The last 10 years of rifle season I ended up kinda feeling bad about killing the deer.
The last 5 years I rifle hunted I only did so because my elderly father was still hunting and it was about the only thing left we could do outdoors together and I didn't want him in the woods alone. I made up my mind that when he was too old to do it anymore I was going to stop. And I did.

I was always just a meat hunter and never lusted after the big horns. I still always manage to have a freezer full of deer meat even though I don't go out and kill deer every year anymore.

The last 10 years I rifle hunted I was done by 8:30-9:00 opening morning.
The last 10 years of rifle season I actually hunted with an unscoped .44 magnum revolver.
The last 10 years of rifle season I ended up kinda feeling bad about killing the deer.
The last 5 years I rifle hunted I only did so because my elderly father was still hunting and it was about the only thing left we could do outdoors together and I didn't want him in the woods alone. I made up my mind that when he was too old to do it anymore I was going to stop. And I did.

I was always just a meat hunter and never lusted after the big horns. I still always manage to have a freezer full of deer meat even though I don't go out and kill deer every year anymore.
I’m a meat hunter, but doe are scarce where I’m at so I dont want to thin the future heard by killing does .
Our State/County regs for my area are only bucks over 13” spread may be taken(outside the ears) or a “spike”. See very little spikes around, so between the lack of does/spikes, i go after the racks by regs.

I’m a meat hunter, but doe are scarce where I’m at so I dont want to thin the future heard by killing does .
Our State/County regs for my area are only bucks over 13” spread may be taken(outside the ears) or a “spike”. See very little spikes around, so between the lack of does/spikes, i go after the racks by regs.
Which is exactly as you should brother. Missouri has one of the nation's best conservation departments. I always follow the regulations set forth by our wildlife biologists.

When my dad was first married to my mom in 1960 there were almost no deer in this state and no hunting season. Largely due to poaching and poor conservation. In my lifetime I have been lucky to always be able to hunt and harvest deer. I don't recall an occasion where as a state we harvested the amount of deer the conservation department wanted us to. As a result we have a massive over abundance of white tails. In suburban St. Louis and in the city proper it is extremely common to see deer munching on people's shrubs. Record numbers of car v deer accidents.

We also have an abundance of turkey and coyote. A fairly healthy bobcat population and we have mountain lions in the south. In the last 5 years there have been a number of black bear showing up as well. The thing I really wish we had has all but vanished everywhere except in the extreme north by the Iowa border and that is Bobwhite. That was always my thing. My dad had me terrorizing coveys behind Elhew English Pointers when I was 8 years old. I miss it terribly.

Which is exactly as you should brother. Missouri has one of the nation's best conservation departments. I always follow the regulations set forth by our wildlife biologists.

When my dad was first married to my mom in 1960 there were almost no deer in this state and no hunting season. Largely due to poaching and poor conservation. In my lifetime I have been lucky to always be able to hunt and harvest deer. I don't recall an occasion where as a state we harvested the amount of deer the conservation department wanted us to. As a result we have a massive over abundance of white tails. In suburban St. Louis and in the city proper it is extremely common to see deer munching on people's shrubs. Record numbers of car v deer accidents.

We also have an abundance of turkey and coyote. A fairly healthy bobcat population and we have mountain lions in the south. In the last 5 years there have been a number of black bear showing up as well. The thing I really wish we had has all but vanished everywhere except in the extreme north by the Iowa border and that is Bobwhite. That was always my thing. My dad had me terrorizing coveys behind Elhew English Pointers when I was 8 years old. I miss it terribly.
We had Irish Setters, gordon Setters and Spaniels growing up.
Over/under shotgun, Setters, quail and pheasant is a awesome way to spend the day afield 🙂

I was fortunate in that I grew up in the country and always had a good place to hunt deer within a mile of my house. I was always back home by 8:30 AM with the deer hanging from the tree. The last deer I killed was in 1986. However I always had at least 2 and sometimes 3 deer given to me by people who loved to hunt but didn't like the taste of deer.

These people never wasted any game meat though . They always knew someone that would take the meat . I never took a deer to a processor. My wife and I always did the work ourselves. It was my dad and mom and I when I was younger.

I sure do miss eating wild game meat these days. What I miss even more is the time in the field , being out in nature . The sights and smells , the sounds of the birds and all of the other creatures was very relaxing for me.

We had Irish Setters, gordon Setters and Spaniels growing up.
Over/under shotgun, Setters, quail and pheasant is a awesome way to spend the day afield 🙂
Dad bred pointers until he got too old and too tired of trying to keep up with them and then he started breeding Brittany Spaniels. The best bird dog I ever hunted behind was a female named Missy. She bumped one bird when she was very young ( I was also very young at the time) and she never bumped another one in her 12 year career. They like to run though. They use jeeps to hunt behind them in the Arizona scrub. One time that dog just smooth disappeared and we couldn't find her for a couple hours. Dad was saying he was just going to shoot her when he found her. He always talked big but he would never have done it. When we finally found her she was on point. No telling for how long. We spotted her a long ways off so in view of us it was at least 5-10 minutes she was locked up tighter than a drum and most likely a hell of a lot longer than that. When we got there I flushed the covey and dad got a double. We never trained them to flush. Dad believed, and I agree that nothing good could come from a pointer flushing birds, so we always took turns. The Brittanys were all great dogs too. Especially a liver colored female named Molly. They hunt for you not for themselves. They work back and forth in front of you until they are too far out and then they come back to you and look at you like " Come on will ya". Great dogs.

Dad always wanted a Citori, but he never could afford one he said. As a result we always had side by sides, which I prefer. Dad's gun is a beautiful Fox 20 and I have an assortment of old 12 gauge Savage and Stevens.

I was fortunate in that I grew up in the country and always had a good place to hunt deer within a mile of my house. I was always back home by 8:30 AM with the deer hanging from the tree. The last deer I killed was in 1986. However I always had at least 2 and sometimes 3 deer given to me by people who loved to hunt but didn't like the taste of deer.

These people never wasted any game meat though . They always knew someone that would take the meat . I never took a deer to a processor. My wife and I always did the work ourselves. It was my dad and mom and I when I was younger.

I sure do miss eating wild game meat these days. What I miss even more is the time in the field , being out in nature . The sights and smells , the sounds of the birds and all of the other creatures was very relaxing for me.
My dad was a butcher his whole life from 18 years old until he retired. I was butchering my own deer before I could drive. We did take all the trim to a processor for summer sausage though. Oberly in St. Gen. They make great stuff.

Dad bred pointers until he got too old and too tired of trying to keep up with them and then he started breeding Brittany Spaniels. The best bird dog I ever hunted behind was a female named Missy. She bumped one bird when she was very young ( I was also very young at the time) and she never bumped another one in her 12 year career. They like to run though. They use jeeps to hunt behind them in the Arizona scrub. One time that dog just smooth disappeared and we couldn't find her for a couple hours. Dad was saying he was just going to shoot her when he found her. He always talked big but he would never have done it. When we finally found her she was on point. No telling for how long. We spotted her a long ways off so in view of us it was at least 5-10 minutes she was locked up tighter than a drum and most likely a hell of a lot longer than that. When we got there I flushed the covey and dad got a double. We never trained them to flush. Dad believed, and I agree that nothing good could come from a pointer flushing birds, so we always took turns. The Brittanys were all great dogs too. Especially a liver colored female named Molly. They hunt for you not for themselves. They work back and forth in front of you until they are too far out and then they come back to you and look at you like " Come on will ya". Great dogs.

Dad always wanted a Citori, but he never could afford one he said. As a result we always had side by sides, which I prefer. Dad's gun is a beautiful Fox 20 and I have an assortment of old 12 gauge Savage and Stevens.
My 2 childhood field companions:
A Gordon Setter named Glenny
An over/under Browning superposed/superlight
E5080C8D-62C4-41A2-A45D-1C28845AF30D.jpeg

7052B13D-B7D5-478D-A6DD-EB035E9F9EAA.jpeg

When I was young there weren't many deer here either. In fact I can remember going to a local " game farm " on Friday evenings just to see 5 or 6 deer at a time . Never saw them out driving through the country.

The first year we went deer hunting was way back in 1970. Today , as Bassbob stated , they are thick as fleas around here. We also didn't have Turkey or Pheasants when I was young but they are now plentiful also.

I have not heard a Bobwhite Quail singing in years though and miss that .

Where I hunt, once the rut is over the big bucks tend to stay in the brush during the day and only move around after dark. If you are still hunting, the window of opportunity is right at day break and just after the sun sets. In the eastern part of Virginia the hunt clubs use dogs to run the deer. Out where I hunt there was a time years ago where I was the "dog" that moved the deer for the standers.

Back