testtest

Define the term "Entry-Level"...

singularity

Operator
Okay, I like to get on the Internet and look at all the latest and greatest weapons and accessories out there. For some time now, I see reviewers of AR15's use the term; "this is a great new entry-level AR15". My question is; what on earth is an entry-level AR15?!

I've seen reviews that call Saint AR15 models entry level. I have seen IWI's Z15 called entry-level. At one time or another, I think pretty much every AR15 has been called entry level. Most AR15's now are really M4 variants, that is, you buy the base weapon, then you add on whatever accessories you choose.

Maybe if I add a light, my AR15 is no longer entry-level? Perhaps a red dot? How about a magnifier, will that do it? Ah, I know, how about a bi-pod or front hand grip?

Perhaps my question might be answered by defining what is NOT and entry-level AR15, I don't know.

So the SAINT is not entry level, most people that say that either do not know what they are talking about, or hate Springfield.

An entry level AR would be an AR that was produced using cost saving measures. Things like using barrels that are not chrome lined/melonited/stainless steel. Using bargain bin Small parts that are not mil spec tolerance or quality. Anodizing on Aluminum parts and what type it is. So for example Aluminum parts from bargain brands, you can sand blast the parts and the Anodizing just flies off, instead of using a hard coat anodizing. They use what amounts to no more than a dye. Were quality manufacturers guns and parts use a hard coat anodizing that you have to blast it to hell and back to remove it. Bargin AR’s are not going to have parts that have been MPT & HP tested. The parkerizing on the steel parts like barrels/triggers are not going to be up to milspec standards. Some companies try to do things like not include forward assists or deflectors ejection port covers etc. An entry level AR will most likely have basic type furniture, GI style pistol grip/hand guard/butt stock. You will find that basic level AR’s will lack the extra touches like staking the end plate and may even do crazy things like use locktight instead. (More that I can’t think of right now).

basically it’s a no frills AR everything listed costs money.

So even the original SAINT is not entry level, Springfield basically went down the list of what makes a quality AR and made sure to check it off the list. I dare you to point to a feature that say a Colt has that a Saint does not. The only controversial thing would be that Springfield Melonites their barrels Inside and out. Military specs call for chrome lining a barrel, this makes the barrel easier to clean and makes it corrosion resistant but outside of the barrel is is parkerized. Well Meloniting allows a barrel to be cut tighter since the process does not add material to the metal. Chrome lined barrels have had a reputation for not being as accurate Since they have to be cut oversized to allow for the build up of the lining. think of glocks and how hard and rust resistant they are. Meloniting the barrels inside and out means protection everywhere. Parkerizing will rust and needs oil, melonite can go way longer without oil and not rust. Meloniting parts is a relatively new process and is not milspec. But it has its benefits.

Last edited:
Some basic entry level AR’s will be A2 handguards, chrome lined barrels, which some prefer and some don’t. (They have there advantages and disadvantages) a basic (Mil-Spec) trigger, basic (Mil-Spec) 6 position stock and grip. A2 gas block/sight.

You get an AR with a 416r barrel and Mlok, KeyMod or picatinny free floated rail, magpul grip or the likes of, magpul stock, or the likes of (take your pick) low-pro adjustable gas block.

I know SA offers some of this on their AR’s but above “entry level” you would think KAC, BCM, LaRue, Daniel Defense, LWRCI or Noveske. Colt is good FN and LMT are also good. Those I would put above “entry” level rifles.

Back