testtest

Did You Buy the Wrong Handgun?

I’ve found that I struggle with compact handguns, finding some relatively hard to rack and the recoil challenging.

I got started with a Glock 19 Gen 3 - I would never disparage Glocks; they are good firearms that many people enjoy and shoot well. I tried a different grip, a different trigger - it just always felt like a brick in my hand. I sold it to my 30 year old son, who was very glad to have it.

I found the Beretta 92FS to be more comfortable, but I have a PX4 Compact that I find difficult to rack and shoot well - I have other issues like not being able to see the front sight unless I close my left eye, and recoil anticipation. Frankly, red dots are just easier for me.

I was at a recent Armed Women of America meeting - the leaders had brought different guns for us to try. One was a very compact firearm that I absolutely hated - I kept getting pinched every time I tried to rack it - arrrrgh. I was surprised how easy a revolver was to load and shoot, never having been around any. What really got me was the 1911; I had read a lot of articles about “they’re not for newbies”, “complicated to operate”, “outdated”. etc. I think this particular 1911 was a 9mm Rock Island - racking it was like silk, it fit my hand perfectly, and I didn’t have any trouble with the external safeties - I liked it so much I got a 9mm Garrison and a ATI GSG .22lr (for working on shooting fundamentals and plinking - for $330, an impressive firearm!)

I’ve found that I struggle with compact handguns, finding some relatively hard to rack and the recoil challenging.

I got started with a Glock 19 Gen 3 - I would never disparage Glocks; they are good firearms that many people enjoy and shoot well. I tried a different grip, a different trigger - it just always felt like a brick in my hand. I sold it to my 30 year old son, who was very glad to have it.

I found the Beretta 92FS to be more comfortable, but I have a PX4 Compact that I find difficult to rack and shoot well - I have other issues like not being able to see the front sight unless I close my left eye, and recoil anticipation. Frankly, red dots are just easier for me.

I was at a recent Armed Women of America meeting - the leaders had brought different guns for us to try. One was a very compact firearm that I absolutely hated - I kept getting pinched every time I tried to rack it - arrrrgh. I was surprised how easy a revolver was to load and shoot, never having been around any. What really got me was the 1911; I had read a lot of articles about “they’re not for newbies”, “complicated to operate”, “outdated”. etc. I think this particular 1911 was a 9mm Rock Island - racking it was like silk, it fit my hand perfectly, and I didn’t have any trouble with the external safeties - I liked it so much I got a 9mm Garrison and a ATI GSG .22lr (for working on shooting fundamentals and plinking - for $330, an impressive firearm!)
Your first sentence sums up my mothers experience to the T.

She absolutely hates the recoil on the smaller handguns, says it feels like they're going to fly out of her hands, and some of them are way too difficult or even impossible for her to rack. She's small and has some arthritis in her hands, so it's not easy at all for her.

I gave her my Prodigy 5" and she racked it first try without issue and looked stunned. She even shot it without issue and controlled it like a champ!

She said she never even considered that a 'bigger' gun would be easier for her to use in every aspect, save for the additional weight, but even that wasn't much of a problem for her.

I almost did when I was considering the Walther PDP, but after a test fire decided against. I liked everything about the pistol, but the recoil was more than I expected. This is most likely due to decreased weight. I recommend test firing before any handgun purchase.
Give the Q5 a try. The metal frame goes a long way towards taking the recoil. I shoot the PPQ, the PDP's older brother, and Walther has nailed the trigger on those guns, but it did take a bit of work on learning to control the Muzzle flip, especially in .40 S&W.

In the 40+ years I've been buying and shooting handguns, I can only recall 2 or 3 handguns that I couldn't get rid of fast enough. A Spanish made 1911 Clone (I don't remember if it was a Star or Llama or some other brand), that was the quintessential Jam-O-Matic. Ruger's first P series pistols (inaccurate), and a S&W Mod 39, that had feed issues with reloaded ammo.
Had an 80's era AR-7 that was also a Jam-O-Matic that I dumped.
I did sell off a couple of hunting rifles and shotguns when I had to give hunting up because of health issues, but it's not quite the same as the author's reasons.

I understand the fundamentals are incredibly important for beginners, but the trigger position on the finger has always been something I've struggled with. I'm 6'6" and have pretty large hands. The only gun I've found where the trigger comfortable meets the middle of my last digit is the arex Rex zero 1. It's a great gun, but it's also huge. I've tried 1911s, sigs, HKs, berettas, caniks, Springfields, glocks and have kind of given up on that prospect. I'm sure few people will disagree that the most important part of gun ownership is training. I'm down to about 1.4-1.5 seconds on average from draw to c-zone shot with my canik elite SC, an arguably large sub compact gun, and I'm slowly getting better and more accurate shots to the a-zone. Should I just deal with concealing my gigantic gun or am I good to continue running my regular firearm?

I understand the fundamentals are incredibly important for beginners, but the trigger position on the finger has always been something I've struggled with. I'm 6'6" and have pretty large hands. The only gun I've found where the trigger comfortable meets the middle of my last digit is the arex Rex zero 1. It's a great gun, but it's also huge. I've tried 1911s, sigs, HKs, berettas, caniks, Springfields, glocks and have kind of given up on that prospect. I'm sure few people will disagree that the most important part of gun ownership is training. I'm down to about 1.4-1.5 seconds on average from draw to c-zone shot with my canik elite SC, an arguably large sub compact gun, and I'm slowly getting better and more accurate shots to the a-zone. Should I just deal with concealing my gigantic gun or am I good to continue running my regular firearm?
I've the same problem, big guy (6'4") and really big hands (2XL glove is a tight fit), I own a sub compact, but prefer my full size gun and only carry the subcompact in the heat of the summer.

I gave up on revolvers after 2020 Summer of Love. I got Glocks, FN's and Hellcats. I gave up on Glocks for CCW and carry 2 Hellcats. Happy with them all.

I was going to get a Hellcat with a red dot but was told that Hellcats use subpar red dots and they break easily if hit due to the skimpy metal frame. And due to the mount, no better options. That was what I was told at Cabela's gun counter. Don't know if true or not and not that much of a rush to find out.

I've carried for over 60 years and I was a master class shooter in USPSA. My race gun was a .38 super, quad port comp with optical sight. I prefer the .38 super ever the 9, because with my custom 1911 carry pistol I could load it up to put any 9 to shame and shoot flies off fence posts with it. However, I'm now officially old and have lowered myself about 18 rungs on the ladder to actually swallow my pride and sneak into a gun shop and buy a black plastic pistol with an optical sight, because I can't see open sights any longer. And it a 9. A pip squeak 9. That's how low I have sunk. I am so ashamed.

I've carried for over 60 years and I was a master class shooter in USPSA. My race gun was a .38 super, quad port comp with optical sight. I prefer the .38 super ever the 9, because with my custom 1911 carry pistol I could load it up to put any 9 to shame and shoot flies off fence posts with it. However, I'm now officially old and have lowered myself about 18 rungs on the ladder to actually swallow my pride and sneak into a gun shop and buy a black plastic pistol with an optical sight, because I can't see open sights any longer. And it a 9. A pip squeak 9. That's how low I have sunk. I am so ashamed.
At least you can still go out and make some noise, that's all that matters...:)

So which is the best handgun?? I have a buddy who said "do you know what the best handgun in a gunfight is". I replied what. He said the in your hand at the time. So true, a good operator can take any weapon system and deploy it well. But we are not talking about Special Operations here. It's the person wanting to buy a gun that they have total confidence in and will train with and become proficient. Friends, there are many choices out there so why not invest in the time to handle and shoot in finding the one that really works well. Gun manufacturers try to check all the boxes for the shooting public which is not an easy task these days. If you going to spend good money especially in the times we are living currently buy the gun that you perform the best with given all the other considerations such as grip ETC. For most of my Special Operations career I carried a 1911 which served me exceptionally well. However, when I was not on deployment I carried a CZ 75 which has a grip feel that is outstanding. The British SAS used the browning HI power for years and for good reason. The feel and balance of these two guns are exceptional and there are many other folks out there who agree. So take the time to see what checks all the boxes for you. Remember what is the ultimate coal here. To win the gunfight friends. There is a lot at stake here, you can read all the opinions you want about various guns but until you go hands on you will not really know. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS

I'm relatively new to the game (about 5 years) and have sold two of our pistols: A S&W Shield 2.0 (my wife and I both hated it) and a Springfield Hellcat OSP (just didn't like shooting it - could not run more than a mag or two without feeling like I was holding a porcupine).

Guns we've bought that I love and didn't shoot first?
- Ruger 9E (This is the only pistol - and the first one we ever bought - that I didn't hold prior to buying. Plus, my wife still shoots this better than any other pistol we have, so it must be "right" for her!)
- Springfield XD Mod2 Subcompact (EDC)
- Springfield XDM Elite Tactical OSP (wish this could be my EDC)

Guns I'm expecting to love but didn't shoot first?
- Springfield Ronin 1911 (4.25" commander)

I don't know about right and wrong, but I'm not going to keep any pistol that I won't shoot. Guns are too expensive to be dust collectors. I love Springfield Armory but for whatever reason, the Hellcat was "wrong" for me. I used the money I got selling it back to the shop and bought the Ronin.

I'm relatively new to the game (about 5 years) and have sold two of our pistols: A S&W Shield 2.0 (my wife and I both hated it) and a Springfield Hellcat OSP (just didn't like shooting it - could not run more than a mag or two without feeling like I was holding a porcupine).

Guns we've bought that I love and didn't shoot first?
- Ruger 9E (This is the only pistol - and the first one we ever bought - that I didn't hold prior to buying. Plus, my wife still shoots this better than any other pistol we have, so it must be "right" for her!)
- Springfield XD Mod2 Subcompact (EDC)
- Springfield XDM Elite Tactical OSP (wish this could be my EDC)

Guns I'm expecting to love but didn't shoot first?
- Springfield Ronin 1911 (4.25" commander)

I don't know about right and wrong, but I'm not going to keep any pistol that I won't shoot. Guns are too expensive to be dust collectors. I love Springfield Armory but for whatever reason, the Hellcat was "wrong" for me. I used the money I got selling it back to the shop and bought the Ronin.
Mr. Untactical, you are on the right track. I must say the Ronin is a great offering and if you really rock with it then stay with it. I'm not at all a fan of the micro gun craze all of my handguns are 4 inch barrel length or more for good reasons. I think it's awesome that you and your wife are training together and finding that gun that really gives you the confidence. Keep up the good work. "Fortis Fortuna Juvat"

So which is the best handgun?? I have a buddy who said "do you know what the best handgun in a gunfight is". I replied what. He said the in your hand at the time. So true, a good operator can take any weapon system and deploy it well. But we are not talking about Special Operations here. It's the person wanting to buy a gun that they have total confidence in and will train with and become proficient. Friends, there are many choices out there so why not invest in the time to handle and shoot in finding the one that really works well. Gun manufacturers try to check all the boxes for the shooting public which is not an easy task these days. If you going to spend good money especially in the times we are living currently buy the gun that you perform the best with given all the other considerations such as grip ETC. For most of my Special Operations career I carried a 1911 which served me exceptionally well. However, when I was not on deployment I carried a CZ 75 which has a grip feel that is outstanding. The British SAS used the browning HI power for years and for good reason. The feel and balance of these two guns are exceptional and there are many other folks out there who agree. So take the time to see what checks all the boxes for you. Remember what is the ultimate coal here. To win the gunfight friends. There is a lot at stake here, you can read all the opinions you want about various guns but until you go hands on you will not really know. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS
Yes!

Our AWOA (Armed Women of America) leaders have told our chapter that Training, Training and Training (did I mention Training? ;-) ) is key

Yes!

Our AWOA (Armed Women of America) leaders have told our chapter that Training, Training and Training (did I mention Training? ;-) ) is key
Yattwood, you are so right and I hope the members take training seriously. I realize that not everyone has access to thousands of rounds as I did when I served but you can still have a good range day. It's the quality of the training and then shoot as many rounds as you can afford. Remember, weapons training is like a milk carton. You leave it on the counter too long and it spoils because it's perishable. Shooting skills is the same

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Did You Buy the Wrong Handgun?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/did-you-buy-the-wrong-handgun/.

I am somewhat new to the handgun world. That means I don't know what I'm doing. I have to rely on what others say. So after reading lots of articles titled: the best handgun etc., and reading lots of reader comments, and reviewing lots of 5 star recommendations I made my choice. I purchased a Sig P365. I went to the range. I was not disappointed. Great handgun in my opinion. Thank you to all those people who voiced their opinions.

Yattwood, I think it is awesome that you explored other firearms and found something that can work for you. The 1911,92FS and PX4Storm I own all of them and they are great firearms. Don't let people discourage you about the 1911. remember who John Browning designed this gun for. Yes, the U.S. Military. He had to come up with a design that large segments of our society could use from all parts of our country. Not an easy task but he did it. So keep training and don't be afraid to carry guns other than the micro guns(not a fan) longer barrel guns offer many benefits. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS

I am somewhat new to the handgun world. That means I don't know what I'm doing. I have to rely on what others say. So after reading lots of articles titled: the best handgun etc., and reading lots of reader comments, and reviewing lots of 5 star recommendations I made my choice. I purchased a Sig P365. I went to the range. I was not disappointed. Great handgun in my opinion. Thank you to all those people who voiced their opinions.
Douglas, That is great news and I'm glad the Sig works for you. Keep training and become harmonious with your weapon. There is no greater feeling to have a weapon that you have total confidence in and can deploy with positive results. Push your limits, keep training you will be amazed with want you can accomplish. TRAIN,BE SMART, THINK TACTICS

Back