testtest

Did You Buy the Wrong Handgun?

Ah, Glock has 2 automatic safety’s, they have a striker safety which is automatic and they got the blade trigger safety, just no grip safety, most Sig P320’s don’t have a manual safety either, your finger is the best safety there is, just don’t put it inside the trigger guard and on the trigger until you are ready to shoot, plain and simple. All those ND issues in my opinion are owner inflicted due to poor or lack of training with the weapon
The striker safety? Is that a firing pin block? Let me revise my statement on the Springfield XD-M line, it has 3 automatic safeties, blade trigger safety, grip safety and striker safety.

Yes, the only Sig P320 I have owned is the M18, that has a manual safety unlike the rest of the P320. And I often point out during one of the many posts about the latest P320 going off all on its own, I can help to think that the lack of safeties might have something to do with it. The P320 does have a striker safety, like a firing pin block, its appears to be a small piece of stamped sheet metal held in a groove by a spring, and I have seen reports that after a lot of usage they have fallen out of the striker.

Yes, its always a nock down drag out argument about the best safety is discipline of the trigger finger. I prefer something extra, that is my personal choice.

While I agree about the P320, a lot of these cases do sound fishy, I would never put a pistol loose in a gym bag with a round chambered to carry it. Loose in a gym bag sounds like other objects in that bag could get on the trigger otherthan your trigger finger. Nor do I think a proper daily carry is in a holster loose in a purse, at least find a way to secure the holster in the purse. There was just an incident during competition with witness's, the guy had holstered his P320 and had his hands up in the ready position, and the pistol went off in the holster, confirmed be witness's.

The striker safety? Is that a firing pin block? Let me revise my statement on the Springfield XD-M line, it has 3 automatic safeties, blade trigger safety, grip safety and striker safety.

Yes, the only Sig P320 I have owned is the M18, that has a manual safety unlike the rest of the P320. And I often point out during one of the many posts about the latest P320 going off all on its own, I can help to think that the lack of safeties might have something to do with it. The P320 does have a striker safety, like a firing pin block, its appears to be a small piece of stamped sheet metal held in a groove by a spring, and I have seen reports that after a lot of usage they have fallen out of the striker.

Yes, its always a nock down drag out argument about the best safety is discipline of the trigger finger. I prefer something extra, that is my personal choice.

While I agree about the P320, a lot of these cases do sound fishy, I would never put a pistol loose in a gym bag with a round chambered to carry it. Loose in a gym bag sounds like other objects in that bag could get on the trigger otherthan your trigger finger. Nor do I think a proper daily carry is in a holster loose in a purse, at least find a way to secure the holster in the purse. There was just an incident during competition with witness's, the guy had holstered his P320 and had his hands up in the ready position, and the pistol went off in the holster, confirmed be witness's.
Yea, striker pin safety is the same as a firing pin block, still Glocks do have automatic safeties, no matter how many doesn’t matter, my Sig P320 X-Five legion has the firing pin block and mine is not some cheap stamped piece of steel, it’s fairly stout, my M17 has the manual safety, like I said before, your best safety is your finger

My brother has a Sig P320 X-Five legion, I have to admit it was absolute joy to shoot. My M18, not so much. I don't dislike it, its a good pistol, I just don't enjoy it as much as my other pistols.

M17-M18-Striker-Assembly-Failures-0000.png

The Springfield XD-M is a solid block of steel ten times the size of the sig.

My brother has a Sig P320 X-Five legion, I have to admit it was absolute joy to shoot. My M18, not so much. I don't dislike it, its a good pistol, I just don't enjoy it as much as my other pistols.

View attachment 31746

The Springfield XD-M is a solid block of steel ten times the size of the sig.
I like my M17, blast to shoot, but my G34 has a better trigger feel the the M17, you really can’t compare two different manufacturers, there both going to be quite different, but for me, as long as it works that’s all that really concerns me

I don't like the part about that the pad of your finger has to be on the trigger.
When I went through the 2 week firearm portion of my academy, that was never even a concner. Where your finger lands on the trigger wasn't even worth discussing, but grip sure was.
I have large hands (long fingers, palm a basketball large), and shooting with the pad of my finger just doesn't work for me. It feels way to awkward as my finer is bent at a weird angle, and I can't do it consistently. But putting the bend of my finger at the first knuckle just works.
The pad of your finger thing is, or should I say, could be, useful if you are having accuracy problems. Adjusting the position of your finger on the trigger can and will change things. If you aren't having an issue it's moot. I read an article that basically said the same thing a few weeks ago here. I think Anni posted it. There is no hard fast " Use the pad of your finger" rule.

I like my M17, blast to shoot, but my G34 has a better trigger feel the the M17, you really can’t compare two different manufacturers, there both going to be quite different, but for me, as long as it works that’s all that really concerns me
Put the Sig skeletonized trigger in your M17 and it will transform it. This is the same trigger (shoe) that is in the X5 Legion. My M17 is a joy to shoot.

Put the Sig skeletonized trigger in your M17 and it will transform it. This is the same trigger (shoe) that is in the X5 Legion. My M17 is a joy to shoot.
I did that with my M18, I think it has different length lever to change things so that it produces a different feel. I noticed an improvement, you can't deny it makes it look cooler. Its a flat trigger face which is all the rage, but I can't deny it does seem to produce a better trigger pull.

I've owned and sold a few P320s. I like them about as much as I can like a polymer striker gun. I'm down to only one now - the P320 X-Carry Legion has stayed in the collection. It's a darn good shooter, although it still ain't close to a 1911 trigger, or even to my other hammer-fired Legions.

And I'm also in the camp of thinking that the vast majority of these P320 stories about the gun somehow spontaneously 'going off' are users trying to cover up their negligence (or completely unaware of their negligence) - carrying it improperly, attempting to use the wrong holster, holstering improperly, etc.

I've owned and sold a few P320s. I like them about as much as I can like a polymer striker gun. I'm down to only one now - the P320 X-Carry Legion has stayed in the collection. It's a darn good shooter, although it still ain't close to a 1911 trigger, or even to my other hammer-fired Legions.

And I'm also in the camp of thinking that the vast majority of these P320 stories about the gun somehow spontaneously 'going off' are users trying to cover up their negligence (or completely unaware of their negligence) - carrying it improperly, attempting to use the wrong holster, holstering improperly, etc.
I agree ..

There are a lot more negligent discharges around than you think.

I personally know 4 officers that have had an officer in their dept “accidently” discharge their weapon into the building or other range area .
Happens more than you think.

Also know of half dozen friends over the last 30 yrs that have discharged their weapon right before cleaning it because they didnt check the chamber was clear . Few blown out windows, a fridge and few walls come to mind 😮😮😮🙄🙄😬😬

I could go on about the P320 incidents, but I don't want to turn this thread into another rehashing of that tired topic.

Back to the intent of this thread, it's certainly still possible to buy a handgun in this day and age that is just too large, or too small, or just doesn't work for you ergonomically. But, I think we also live in a time when it's really hard to buy a "bad" gun in general. There are also a number of handgun platforms available now that offer more ergonomic adjustability than ever before (replaceable backstraps, side panels, entire grip modules, etc) that make changing the feel and size of a pistol easier than ever before.

I think another contributing factor to a newer shooter sometimes concluding that a gun is "wrong" for them is simply poor instruction/training. If you don't learn how to properly grip and manipulate the pistol, it's probably not going to be a very pleasant experience (due to poor recoil mitigation) and probably a frustratingly inaccurate experience as well. A session or two like that is often enough for a new shooter to conclude that shooting is not that fun, and not something they are going to make time for very often, and the gun ends up in drawer (or hopefully a safe).

On the subject of trigger finger placement, yeah, I think it's somewhat important, although lots of very good shooters over the years have proven that it's possible to be very accurate with different trigger positions. I think proper grip is what doesn't get emphasized enough, and that with proper grip, the specifics of trigger manipulation become less important.

...Also know of half dozen friends over the last 30 yrs that have discharged their weapon right before cleaning it because they didnt check the chamber was clear . Few blown out windows, a fridge and few walls come to mind 😮😮😮🙄🙄😬😬
I can't find actual statistics on this, I hear general things, cleaning is the number one time of negligent discharges, it's the most likely time for it to happen, etc, etc....

I keep reading the military is insisting on safety provisions for cleaning at least for their pistols. My Ruger 22/45 mkIII has the magazine safety/disconnect that in the owners manual said it was for safety while cleaning.

Personally, as well as check the chamber is clear, I dry fire my weapons in a safe direction before and after disassembly/re-assembly.

I could go on about the P320 incidents, but I don't want to turn this thread into another rehashing of that tired topic.

Back to the intent of this thread, it's certainly still possible to buy a handgun in this day and age that is just too large, or too small, or just doesn't work for you ergonomically. But, I think we also live in a time when it's really hard to buy a "bad" gun in general. There are also a number of handgun platforms available now that offer more ergonomic adjustability than ever before (replaceable backstraps, side panels, entire grip modules, etc) that make changing the feel and size of a pistol easier than ever before.

I think another contributing factor to a newer shooter sometimes concluding that a gun is "wrong" for them is simply poor instruction/training. If you don't learn how to properly grip and manipulate the pistol, it's probably not going to be a very pleasant experience (due to poor recoil mitigation) and probably a frustratingly inaccurate experience as well. A session or two like that is often enough for a new shooter to conclude that shooting is not that fun, and not something they are going to make time for very often, and the gun ends up in drawer (or hopefully a safe).

On the subject of trigger finger placement, yeah, I think it's somewhat important, although lots of very good shooters over the years have proven that it's possible to be very accurate with different trigger positions. I think proper grip is what doesn't get emphasized enough, and that with proper grip, the specifics of trigger manipulation become less important.
Oh there are plenty of manufactureres from around the world / USA that build mediocre quality guns even this day and age..
I’ll start with SCCY …

I can't find actual statistics on this, I hear general things, cleaning is the number one time of negligent discharges, it's the most likely time for it to happen, etc, etc....

I keep reading the military is insisting on safety provisions for cleaning at least for their pistols. My Ruger 22/45 mkIII has the magazine safety/disconnect that in the owners manual said it was for safety while cleaning.

Personally, as well as check the chamber is clear, I dry fire my weapons in a safe direction before and after disassembly/re-assembly.
You wont find statistics.

Who has a negligent discharge in their home resulting in hurt pride and then calls the cops.

No one

Exactly. We focused way more on grip. A good grip is huge

I posted on this thread a couple days ago about my buying a Sig P320 + extras and just couldn't make friends with it. Yesterday another guy I know locally offered me a nice Ruger CMD and some moolah for it. We both walked away smiling. It wasn't a Springer but it wasn't polymer and it had a hammer. Life is good.

Back