testtest

Disassemble Prodigy Thumb Safety

Addison3

Operator
I am a bit lost when it comes to disassembling and reassembly of the thumb safety my Prodigy. In several 1911 threads I see the hammering being cocked when removing and installing of the thumb safety. In a few others it wasn't so clear.
What will happen if the hammer is left in the down position when removing and reinstalling? It sure would be nice to know just what is the proper way.

Why would you want to remove it, in all my years of 1911's I never have removed any, just wondering?
In order to more easily get at the sear spring. A few weeks back I went to install a mag well on my Prodigy. I wasn't thinking when removing the pin at the bottom that force would push the main spring housing out. That force made the sear spring dislocate and needless to say something pretty simple turned into a pain.
In the end I got everything back together but soon learned I could have saved myself some frustration had I removed the thumb safety to have gotten the grip safety off.
anyway I have been reading up on this topic but honestly have no idea why some cock the hammer back and a few others leave the hammer forward.

In order to more easily get at the sear spring. A few weeks back I went to install a mag well on my Prodigy. I wasn't thinking when removing the pin at the bottom that force would push the main spring housing out. That force made the sear spring dislocate and needless to say something pretty simple turned into a pain.
In the end I got everything back together but soon learned I could have saved myself some frustration had I removed the thumb safety to have gotten the grip safety off.
anyway I have been reading up on this topic but honestly have no idea why some cock the hammer back and a few others leave the hammer forward.
I’m not sure either, maybe give a yell at xdman, sure he can help you

You have to remove the slide.
Then lock the hammer back if it is not.
wiggle the left side safety out first. Be careful the thumb safety spring will fly out.
Once the left hand side is off, carefully release the tension on the hammer.
Now rotate the right hand side safety up so the arm comes out of the frame and pull out.

You have to remove the slide.
Then lock the hammer back if it is not.
wiggle the left side safety out first. Be careful the thumb safety spring will fly out.
Once the left hand side is off, carefully release the tension on the hammer.
Now rotate the right hand side safety up so the arm comes out of the frame and pull out.
xdman, thanks for the info... and when reinstalling replace the right side and then cock hammer to install the left side???

xdman, thanks for the info... and when reinstalling replace the right side and then cock hammer to install the left side???
Yes but make sure the right side is in alignment with the left as you fully snap it into place. The mortise joint of both fit in each other.

So I’ve never seen people remove the safety with the hammer in the decocked position. The reason the hammer must be cocked is because on a 1911 the safety will not turn on without the hammer cocked. The reason this is important is because you put the safety just inbetween the up and down position and wiggle the left safety as your pulling it out. It’ll eventually pop out of place and easily remove. Becareful up the spring and detent that will fly out if your not careful.

Back