testtest

Discreet Concealed Carry

The Night Rider

Professional
This is a discussion I see all over the internet. Another poster mentioned it this morning in a different discussion and it made me think about starting this discussion.

As I said, this discussion has come up multiple times on other form so it's really hard to say something new about it.

Usually when this discussion comes up people generally talk about not wearing 5.11 clothes or Glock hats or anything Second Amendment related or anything NRA and that's really not that far out there.

People also comment that most people aren't paying any attention and most people don't notice anyway.

I don't doubt that but I'm not worried about the 99% who don't notice, I worry about the 1% (Personally, I suspect it's more than 1%) who do.

The reason I worry about that 1% is because the odds are very good that those are exactly the people who I don't want paying attention to me.

I don't remember if I've mentioned this here before or not but I used to be a volunteer at the information desk at my church and I would stand at the desk before church and watch people. When I wasn't handing out information to people I would amuse myself by playing spot the concealed carrier, the first thing I always looked at was how they were dressed. I was generally able to pick out a couple of people at each service and I started out by looking at what kind of clothes they were wearing.

I remember one guy on another forum who has said a couple of times that he's looks for people that look like they might be carrying a concealed handgun and when he finds him he goes out of his way too give them a ration for it. I don't need that kind of drama in my life.

So, this is my attempt at starting a discussion. Let's see where it goes

Unless I missed it, you never really posed a question but I am assuming you wish to know what we think of discreet carry, perhaps how we go about it?

About 90 percent of the time these days I carry a snubnose revolver in a pocket holster in my left hip pocket under any manner of shirts polos, t-shirts, guyabaras and hockey jerseys. In cold weather a leather jacket covers that, unzipped. In real cold where the coat may be zipped the revolver generally goes in an outside pocket.

I find that to be very discreet personally.

you will never know if i am carrying concealed. imo church is an easy conceal period, suit jackets hide alot of stuff

i take great pride in not fondling my firearm or adjusting as a i walk by, its there, i know it and you should not IMO
and i practice the see me once and forget mantra
i will pass by you and maybe say hello
and just like that i keep going and you forget me, unless your in my orbit or a friend than its BSing for a few

There are several different concerns that make this somewhat different discussions.

One set of issues is based on state laws regarding concealed carry. This is always more complicated because the rules and/or expectations vary from jurisdiction to jurisdiction. In areas where open carry is legal and permitted a semi concealed gun that prints or shows when you bend isn't as important as states that have but hate civilian concealed carry options. In those area LEOS may be looking for an excuse to arrest those with CC Permits.

Another set of issues is carrying a weapon in posted private property or on or around public transportation. This often happens in jurisdictions where CCPs are hated by authorities. A great example would be earlier this week when my wife who has a concealed carry permit wanted to use a bus in Chicago instead of a cab. Chicago who was outraged over the Supreme Court decision that forced Illinois to issue concealed carry permits on a shall issue basis managed to make many places and resources out of bounds to concealed carry including public transportation. As a result many legal concealed carry permit holders choose to carry in many of those places just to get from one place to another place. If they are going to do so means they must make their concealed carry foolproof.

Some of us don't want to be targets. I don't want to be the one the wackadoodle spots when they come into a place to shoot it up as their first target. Wearing combat or firearms related clothing would certainly make one a high value target as would an openly carried firearm.

I typically carry a G19 in a crossbreed reckoning holster at 3ish o'clock. It sits close to my side and conceals very well under a tee shirt, most of them are black for that reason. If I want to not worry about it I wear a short sleeve button up shirt in the summer which hides the gun very well. If I go somewhere that I really worry about getting noticed then I'll carry a Hellcat Pro in a crossbreed suppertuck holster under the button up and the only way someone would know it is there would be to pat me down.

the only way someone would know it is there would be to pat me down.
Or the visible Clips on your belt.

I don't remember if I've talked about this here or not but I had a job interview for an armed security position at Focus on the Family.

I walked into the front door of the building and I looked on the office directory to see where the office that I was supposed to be going to was.

Hey focus on the family employee approached me and asked if he could help me. I turned around and the first thing I noticed was the guy's Rigger Belt. The second thing I noticed was the clips from the tuckable holster on his Rigger Belt.

While I was going through the interview I asked the person interviewing me if I'd be wearing a uniform similar to the one that the security guard that met me at the door was wearing. Everybody in on the interview panel got this weird look on their face and they asked me how I knew the guy was a security guard so I told them.

Last edited:
Or the visible Clips on your belt.

I don't remember if I've talked about this here or not but I had a job interview for an armed security position at Focus on the Family.

I walked into the front door of the building and I looked on the office directory to see where the office that I was supposed to be going to was.

Hey focus on the family employee approached me and asked if he could help me. I turned around and the first thing I noticed was the guy's Rigger Belt. The second thing I noticed was the clips from the tuckable holster on his Rigger Belt.

While I was going through the interview I asked the person interviewing me if I'd be wearing a uniform similar to the one that the security guard that met me at the door was wearing. Everybody in on the interview panel got this weird look on their face and they asked me how I knew the guy was a security guard so I told them.
The shirts are already untucked for that exact reason 👍

I Have to agree. The only place I wear any kind of 'signaling' clothing is at the range, where I'm either shooting or conducting a class. I will occasionally wear a vest loaded with NRA and 2A patches to a liberal gun store just to see who I can trigger.
Anywhere else, I prefer clothing that does not print easily, etc. I'm short and fat, so finding an appropriate holster, etc., is always a problem. I like loose Hawaiian shirts with a bold print, or the guayabera, in a large loose fit.
I do make it a point to be aware of laws, etc., but I don't allow that to dictate my carry choice. I almost always carry concealed rather than openly. Including private property. I prefer to avoid those private facilities, homes, etc., where I know the owners are anti-gun, but if I must, I must.
Not a perfect solution, but it's one I can live with. for now. I endeavor to stay ready for Der Tag.
until then, thanks
jg
I have some t-shirts advertising guns or gun shops or other ridiculous crap on them. I wear them to the range or family events usually, but there are times I may be wearing one and carrying. A guy wearing a S&W t-shirt doesn't necessarily mean he's got a gun. Most of the time I have a plain white t-shirt with an unbuttoned shirt over it. I can easily carry IWB or OWB like that.

I look just like everyone else. You won't see me printing or see the clips on my belt.

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. The key to good, comfortable concealment is a good holster AND a good BELT designed to carry a gun. The best holster in the world will give you away in a second if its loose and flopping around on a cheap belt.
I always carry OWB at about 3:00. With a good holster and belt, I can easily conceal my Colt Commander and a double mag pouch on the off side under just a loose T-shirt. ;)

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned this yet. The key to good, comfortable concealment is a good holster AND a good BELT designed to carry a gun. The best holster in the world will give you away in a second if its loose and flopping around on a cheap belt.
I always carry OWB at about 3:00. With a good holster and belt, I can easily conceal my Colt Commander and a double mag pouch on the off side under just a loose T-shirt. ;)
I use Hanks belts Gunner belt and it has worked very well for me for a decade now. I have two, one for every day and used to be one for work now it's one for my outdoor work or hunting pants.

Most of the time these days you will find me in jeans but when I am gardening or doing things like cutting woods or working on vehicles you will find me in my old work pants, cargos or khakis. Thry are just more comfortable to crawl around in and are cooler lighter weight.

When I carry other thsn hip pockets it owb behind hip and I have yetcti have anyone mention it including my wife who pays close attention

Last edited:
Having carried pistols no smaller than Commander size for more than 50 years for duty and off duty, and trying every means available for concealment, I always default to outside the waistband strong side carry. In the rare occasion I cannot do that, there are backpacks, fanny packs and concealed compartment briefcases, or one of my favorites, a soft sided lunch bag. For ladies and non-binaries there are purses.

But for every day carry, you have to accept the fact that it is a lifestyle change where you have to dress around the gun. Ladies in my classes had the most difficulty with that concept. There are a number of deep carry systems out there that may work for you, but you sacrifice accessibility/speed with most of them. Speed, power, and accuracy determine the outcome. Itty bitty guns buried in your undergarments may not meet needs for any of those.

I have never tried it, but I have seen quite a bit of advertising from Crossbreed for their belly band. I have also seen advertising and watched a couple of videos for Phlster’s Enigma. I wonder how comfortable those kind of alternatives would be. From what I have seen, concealment would be pretty good.

I have never tried it, but I have seen quite a bit of advertising from Crossbreed for their belly band. I have also seen advertising and watched a couple of videos for Phlster’s Enigma. I wonder how comfortable those kind of alternatives would be. From what I have seen, concealment would be pretty good.
Belly bands suck. Unless you need deep concealment and then I’d still pull it up under your arms and situate the holster under your support side armpit.

Having carried pistols no smaller than Commander size for more than 50 years for duty and off duty, and trying every means available for concealment, I always default to outside the waistband strong side carry. In the rare occasion I cannot do that, there are backpacks, fanny packs and concealed compartment briefcases, or one of my favorites, a soft sided lunch bag. For ladies and non-binaries there are purses.

But for every day carry, you have to accept the fact that it is a lifestyle change where you have to dress around the gun. Ladies in my classes had the most difficulty with that concept. There are a number of deep carry systems out there that may work for you, but you sacrifice accessibility/speed with most of them. Speed, power, and accuracy determine the outcome. Itty bitty guns buried in your undergarments may not meet needs for any of those.
Yes sir.
Because of my neck surgery the biggest firearm I carry is a Beretta APX, but there are ways to conceal firearms that size if you really want to. But I also have a J-Frame 638 Bodyguard that I carry often also.

The older I get the less I'm inclined to wear any clothing with any writing on it, including USMC hats(I've switched to mostly plain head wear).

I wear a fanny pack on my chest when I'm out on my electric bicycle(or a walk) but it's covered by a reflective vest.

I'm more likely to use outside the pants carry in cooler months(which in deep South Texas is November to February..:))

One of the reasons I really like my Glock 19 Gen 5 is that for me it's very comfortable in a Muddy River Tactical inside the pants holster, or even a Bravo Concealment inside the pants holster.

My biggest decision when I'm going out isn't which firearm I'm carrying(I don't have very many firearms anymore) it's what knife I'm going to carry.

The good thing is that most of my knives are pretty easy to conceal, though sometimes I will carry a Karambit fixed blade knife in an outside the pants kydex sheath, covered up by a nice collared shirt with no writing on it.

I used to wear a Hawaiian type button down shirt but it was so loud it made me deaf...:)

Yes sir.
Because of my neck surgery the biggest firearm I carry is a Beretta APX, but there are ways to conceal firearms that size if you really want to. But I also have a J-Frame 638 Bodyguard that I carry often also.

The older I get the less I'm inclined to wear any clothing with any writing on it, including USMC hats(I've switched to mostly plain head wear).

I wear a fanny pack on my chest when I'm out on my electric bicycle(or a walk) but it's covered by a reflective vest.

I'm more likely to use outside the pants carry in cooler months(which in deep South Texas is November to February..:))

One of the reasons I really like my Glock 19 Gen 5 is that for me it's very comfortable in a Muddy River Tactical inside the pants holster, or even a Bravo Concealment inside the pants holster.

My biggest decision when I'm going out isn't which firearm I'm carrying(I don't have very many firearms anymore) it's what knife I'm going to carry.

The good thing is that most of my knives are pretty easy to conceal, though sometimes I will carry a Karambit fixed blade knife in an outside the pants kydex sheath, covered up by a nice collared shirt with no writing on it.

I used to wear a Hawaiian type button down shirt but it was so loud it made me deaf...:)

I like what Hawaiian shirts do for concealed carry, but, like you, not the colors. I buy Nate Nast shirts and just avoid their "bowling" designs.

Back