testtest

Do hammers really beat strikers?

1911s are ALL hammer fired, not striker fired, and is SA only. Others, such as the metal framed SIGs and the now-discontinued Smith&Wessons, were generally DA/SA, hammer fired and utilized a firing pin very similar to that of the 1911s. The SIGs were also available with either DA only and (I think, I've never actually handled one) SA only.


DA/SA pistols (or revolvers) are hammer fired. With current technology, striker fired pistols (not revolvers) can be classified as either DA or SA. For example, Glocks are classified as DA. Other striker fired pistols are classified as SA. The distinction hinges upon whether there is additional rearward compression of the striker spring actuated by the trigger pull. Additional striker spring compression = DA classification, minimal additional striker spring compression = SA classification. From a pure technical viewpoint, all SAFE and MECHANICALLY SOUND fire control mechanisms will involve a minuscule compression of a spring due to the requisite slight rearward camming action of a properly set up sear engagement needed to disengage the sear and allow the hammer or striker to release.


Somewhere in there some solid hits have to be made. One cannot miss fast enough to win an armed confrontation.


My own opinion: I'm not certain that combo DA/SA is superior over either a DA only or a SA only. That was the dogma put forth back when DA/SA pistols were entering the marketplace. Firearm safety rules apply even when defending one's own person or home, OR when taking people into custody as a LEO. One should NEVER allow yourself to "outrun your brain" when handling a firearm. To do so is a recipe for tragedy.
 
I prefer a hammer fired weapon, overall. However I will carry a striker fired weapon from time-to-time. But, if given one choice it would be a 1911 in .45acp, but that's my preference. Thankfully, I don't have only one choice.
 
I carry a 1911 every day and have for many years. One reason I sometimes travel to my kids and some states only allow you to 10 round mags but at home I have a old XD45 service and along with a XD 40 because it seems the invasions of your home takes more than one person so I have a welcome committee to greet them.
 
I apologize if my post came across to you as "you're wrong... " I attempted to elaborate and clarify for the benefit of anyone not familiar with the various handgun platforms and how they actually function. I believe that I'm on the same page as you regarding what you've posted.

No worries, I was just trying to articulate it better with my response
 
Tough question for me.....and timely -
I don't really do DA/SA Hammer fired autos. In the hammer fired, I love my SAO - P226 X Carry, P229, Platypus, and Staccato P. On the striker side - I also love the Walther PDP Pros with the Performance Dynamic Triggers - they almost approach 1911 territory for me.

So.....yesterday I had my LGS order me a Walther PDP Steel Frame Compact 4" Pro. Will see if that approaches hybrid perfection for me.
 
Back
Top