• Yes! 👍

Votes: 27 65.9%
  • No! 👎

Votes: 14 34.1%
  • What’s cleaning a gun? 🤷🏻‍♂️

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I was going to chime in on this thread, but it is sliding sideways and I have already had an adult beverage, so...yeah :cool:

Yes, I kind of enjoy cleaning my guns...but I am still learning stuff, and it has to be done. Like when I wax my cross country skis, and I tune up my bike... I take care of the stuff I enjoy (sometimes not in the most timely fashion, but..), and it takes care of me.

Who has the Cook Book??

I was going to chime in on this thread, but it is sliding sideways and I have already had an adult beverage, so...yeah :cool:

Yes, I kind of enjoy cleaning my guns...but I am still learning stuff, and it has to be done. Like when I wax my cross country skis, and I tune up my bike... I take care of the stuff I enjoy (sometimes not in the most timely fashion, but..), and it takes care of me.

Who has the Cook Book??
I do. I haven’t written it yet though.

Never "enjoyed" it but didn't mind. Now it's a chore. Think I just burned myself out. I went head over heels, bat crap crazy, over black powder and muzzle loaders from just before the Bicentennial till about Y2K. From Pennsylvania to Nove Scotia, shooting matches, hunting, plinking, primitive treks and camps, just to make smoke, even at the end Black Powder cartridge. The only exception to B.P. was I toyed with IHMSA, my carry guns and duty guns. I get more enjoyment of walking behind my push mower, and snow blowing the door yard now.

i speak of "precautions" due to my lead level...

back in July, the level was....23.3

just this week, it is....17.6

the highest my lead level ever was.....March 2022, at 30

i have been making it a concentrated effort to wear latex gloves when reloading, and cleaning.

as for "ventilation", my basement is quite drafty, no open windows or such, just a lot of drafts. in the summertime, i make sure a fan is on.

of course too, i have lead removal soap at home after gun cleaning, and lead wipes after any range visit, followed by hand washer when there.

and i wear my eye glasses under a pair of safety glasses to see the smaller parts.
lead from shooting?

mine was up a bit after i retired from navy, but so was my gravy to blood ratio and blood pressure
my lead is considered normal by my doctor for last 8 or so years.
she hates that i reload and shoot bang bang sticks.

i have never thought about lead from my range or loading or cleaning
Rare, which is one of the ways you can serve mankind.......
twilight zone..." to serve man" great episode yum

I clean my guns after every shooting session. I enjoy the process of making the gun perfectly clean and lubed and ready. It gives me the opportunity to marvel at the magnificent engineering and workmanship that go into a fine firearm. I once had someone watching me say it looked like I cleaned my revolver like my life depended on it. Well, yeah.

i speak of "precautions" due to my lead level...

back in July, the level was....23.3

just this week, it is....17.6

the highest my lead level ever was.....March 2022, at 30

i have been making it a concentrated effort to wear latex gloves when reloading, and cleaning.

as for "ventilation", my basement is quite drafty, no open windows or such, just a lot of drafts. in the summertime, i make sure a fan is on.

of course too, i have lead removal soap at home after gun cleaning, and lead wipes after any range visit, followed by hand washer when there.

and i wear my eye glasses under a pair of safety glasses to see the smaller parts.
I've read the problem is shooting, especially indoor ranges. Even FMJ has the rear of the bullet not jacket and the lead is exposed. I guess lead particles can be shed and spray around as you fire, and get on the shooter. Can't imagine it somehow stays airborne and get breathed in, lead is too dense, I can't imagine even the smallest particle not dropping straight down. Perhaps the lead chemical combines during firing and there is some compound in the smoke you can breathe in.

One of the biggest sources of lead poisoning was leaded gasoline, and that is a chemical compound that contain lead molecules, not pure lead in the fuel.

Its supposed to be worse at indoor ranges, and ammunition manufacturers are now making Total Metal Jackets TMJ ammunition that totally encapsulates the lead core for use at indoor ranges.

I cant stand cleaning guns.
Its why aviation and race cars have mechanics. We fly. We drive.
Park it and let the gear heads go to work.
If I could hire a gun cleaner maid I would.

I do it because its necessary.
I do not clean guns every time, as I shoot way too often and its a chore. Guns can go thousands of rounds if needed.
I clean after a hunt if there is high humidity or I hunted in rain or mud conditions.
Range time. No F’ing way. I clean them once a month for indoor. Outdoor range, see above. Have for almost 30 years that way for range time.

Cars go thousands of miles before an oil change. Gun is same way.

Proper regular lube, maybe a quick wipe or scrub, minor tweek maintenance and let er go.

Full on take apart clean. Only monthly or every other month.

dont have issues with FTF or FTE,

Some folks are OCD. Thats not me

I am not a fan but I am kinda anal about the getting my guns to their optimal level of cleanliness. So that makes me take the necessary time to get it right which allows me to relax and embrace the suck.

I've read the problem is shooting, especially indoor ranges. Even FMJ has the rear of the bullet not jacket and the lead is exposed. I guess lead particles can be shed and spray around as you fire, and get on the shooter. Can't imagine it somehow stays airborne and get breathed in, lead is too dense, I can't imagine even the smallest particle not dropping straight down. Perhaps the lead chemical combines during firing and there is some compound in the smoke you can breathe in.

One of the biggest sources of lead poisoning was leaded gasoline, and that is a chemical compound that contain lead molecules, not pure lead in the fuel.

Its supposed to be worse at indoor ranges, and ammunition manufacturers are now making Total Metal Jackets TMJ ammunition that totally encapsulates the lead core for use at indoor ranges.
one other thing i failed to mention is that i stopped sweeping the club's range floor.

it was a habit of mine to sweep "before" i shot, that way i'd know where "my" shrapnel was, and how far it traveled.

now, i only do a "quick" sweep of small bits on the floor, before i shoot, and only my area afterwards.

i think this has cut down my lead level.

and yes, many times i use lead cast bullets, so i am certain i am getting "some exposure" there as well.

in fact an article said that shooting lead bullets will produce more smoke, which i'd have to believe, particles of lead is in that.

I do not clean guns every time, as I shoot way too often and its a chore. Guns can go thousands of rounds if needed.
I clean after a hunt if there is high humidity or I hunted in rain or mud conditions.
Range time. No F’ing way. I clean them once a month for indoor. Outdoor range, see above. Have for almost 30 years that way for range time.

Proper regular lube, maybe a quick wipe or scrub, minor tweek maintenance and let er go.

yes, but on many cars nowadays, there is a "service car soon" reminder that lights up on the dashboard...at or about every 5,000 miles (mine does).

our guns have no such "light up" reminder.

so we have to remember to do the cleaning.

this gun cleaning debate has been around so much and never really has an ending to it.

many of us (that includes me), just clean after every range trip. that way at least for me, it's a done deal, no worries if i went too far till the next cleaning.

I usually enjoy the cleaning process for about 7 minutes, breakdown, get started, then am like crap... and how many times do I have to do this today. Maybe I should have just taken the MkIV alone...
that's how it came to me when i used to take "up to" 4 guns each trip.

then i'm like WTF, "imma gonna be here all day cleaning, and missing my nap".

i'll be damned if imma gonna miss anymore naps...

so for at least the past 1.5 , maybe 2 years now..??

1 gun and maybe "up to" 2 boxes of ammo....got my practice in, shot off my reloads and factory ammo, all was good......

clean, lube....ZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

Agreed. I may shoot 3-5 different things when I got to the range. If I bothered to diligently clean every one of them when I got home it would easily be another hour or two that I don't always have. And I don't worry about it at all. Any gun that I'm worried won't work properly after a couple hundred rounds is a gun I have no need for.

Last edited:
Back