testtest

Do You Need A Red Dot Sight On Your Carry Pistol?

Chris Baker from Lucky Gunner gives his insight (see what I did there? :D:rolleyes:), on his take on Pistol Red Dot Optics.

Thanks for a great short read Bet7,
Good points raised in article for beginners and novices.
One point not raised is if not having a red dot on a handgun means someone may be "short sighted?"
Yes, am kidding! :)

Thanks for a great short read Bet7,
Good points raised in article for beginners and novices.
One point not raised is if not having a red dot on a handgun means someone may be "short sighted?"
Yes, am kidding! :)
No problem Bob. I usually watch the video(s), as Chris always does a good job explaining the subject at hand

Chris Baker from Lucky Gunner gives his insight (see what I did there? :D:rolleyes:), on his take on Pistol Red Dot Optics.

Good read there grasshopper, good info, on my new Hellcat it came with the optic installed, this is my first gun with a red dot.

While researching differences between red and green lasers, this kept popping up.
Must be an expert on red and green? :)
7 best THE RED GREEN SHOW images on Pinterest | Duct tape ...

Good read there grasshopper, good info, on my new Hellcat it came with the optic installed, this is my first gun with a red dot.
No problem Anni. Congrats on the Hellcat purchase. Is it the Hellcat RDP with the Comp or the first Gen Hellcat OSP? What optic was installed? The Wasp?

My Shield came with a Shield Minisight from the factory. I like it and it did improve my accuracy. But like the article said, it was a learning curve for me trying to present the gun in such a way that I would always find the dot. The dot seemed to bounce around a lot until I figured out what I needed to be looking for and when I should be looking for it.

It definitely takes practice to pick up the dot. Fortunately, it doesn’t have to be live practice. Sitting on the living room couch, every time you take the gun out of the holster and whenever you feel like it, take the gun out and present it to find the dot. It gets better and better over time.

Initially I thought it would be easier because I have a RDS on my AR. But that’s completely different. With a cheek weld, you’re in the same spot every time. With a pistol there are a lot of variables and your positioning has to be just right.

Overall, I do like my Wasp on my Hellcat.

I prefer irons on my carry guns.
I like irons too, but just can’t see past 15 yds with them and have to wear bifocals to see them. My distance vision is like an eagle’s and with a red dot I can hit everything I need to. I have red dots on all of my pistols, bar my 1911 and P365, and acquiring the dot has become second nature. Honestly, I’d put one on my 1911 but I don’t want to screw up it’s good looks.

I like irons too, but just can’t see past 15 yds with them and have to wear bifocals to see them. My distance vision is like an eagle’s and with a red dot I can hit everything I need to. I have red dots on all of my pistols, bar my 1911 and P365, and acquiring the dot has become second nature. Honestly, I’d put one on my 1911 but I don’t want to screw up it’s good looks.
I have no problem acquiring the dot. I have a Venom on my Q5, which is a range gun and I practice with it a lot. My issue isn't with the site picture, my issue is that A) it's bulky and extra stuff that could fail and B) 15 yards is far more than you should ever be shooting in a SD situation. Odds are real good that in a SD situation sites will quickly become irrelevant.

Not that I am knocking your choice Simon. Plenty of people have dots on their EDC. I'm not judging anyone. I'm just saying for me personally I'd rather just have irons on a carry gun. A nice, bright front site ya know. ;)

I’m totally in agreement with you Bob. My P365 is my EDC - no red dot. The rest of my guns basically help me maintain my reputation as a range rat. At the range I warm up at 15 and go backward. I’ve got this thing about hitting 4 inch targets at 25 yds while everyone else is just trying to hit A target. I know I can hit a bad guy inside of 15 with my eyes closed. I do defensive training courses with my Archon with a red dot to keep sharp. BTW, I have a Q5 SF and just installed the Overwatch Trigger in it. Very nice.

I’m totally in agreement with you Bob. My P365 is my EDC - no red dot. The rest of my guns basically help me maintain my reputation as a range rat. At the range I warm up at 15 and go backward. I’ve got this thing about hitting 4 inch targets at 25 yds while everyone else is just trying to hit A target. I know I can hit a bad guy inside of 15 with my eyes closed. I do defensive training courses with my Archon with a red dot to keep sharp. BTW, I have a Q5 SF and just installed the Overwatch Trigger in it. Very nice.
It was early and I spelled sight " S I T E" WTF ? lol

Yeah I really wanted the SF, but man, I wasn't wanting to pay double for it. They are beautiful though.

Back