testtest

Do you red dot, or not?

Do you use red dot sights as part of your EDC?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters

David N.

Professional
Founding Member
I am actively exploring the option of a red dot sight as part of my EDC. I mentioned in other posts that my eyesight is failing and I can no longer see the sights clearly. This lack of clarity in my sight picture is interfering with my accuracy and is tiring during extended range sessions.

I installed a red dot sight on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to see what this technology was all about. I headed out to my local range to zero the device. I mentioned to the range safety officer the reason for my visit, and he stated that he recently made the switch for the same reasons. He assured me that it would make a difference in my shooting experience. After my range session, I agreed.

The addition of a red dot sight improved both my sight picture and accuracy on target. Although it did take some getting used to, I was able to rapidly acquire the dot in the window after a few magazines. I discovered that my presentation was sloppy and when corrected the dot appeared in the window immediately each time without having to search for it.

A few hundred rounds in, but I am certain that I will be adding a red dot to my EDC in the future.

I normally don't edc being in a small town that's more like "Cheers" and don't frequent town. I do have several handguns with optics and iron sights. I like both, but for close quarters I prefer iron. Not as monotonous, restrictive or obstructive for me. It does give added traction for charging the slide though. I don't carry iwb being no compact or subcompact. 50 yards and beyond, depending on cartridge (357sig, 10mm, 44mag and/or 50ae) iron hits the spot just fine. 9mm, 40s&w and 45acp optics help when firing faster rates.

My Hellcat has a SMSc red dot, and it's often my choice for CCW. So far no issues that I've found and it is a little quicker on target for me than my other compact 9's with open sights, and no more difficult to conceal in my OWB holster.

My first try at a red dot was back in about the late 80's. It was an "Aimpoint" battery operated, electronic dot in a case about the size of band-aide box. Yeh, it worked well, but was heavy and awkward compared to today's red dots.

Hitting 62, and finding the past few years that my sights seem to be shrinking a bit, I have started to consider them. Buying optics ready, or at least a pistol that can be converted, ie 1911, is high on my possible buy list.

The Hellcat RPD, sig p365 Xl, and Sig p320 x romeo zero are all contenders. As is the Ronin which could be converted if I decide to go that direction.

I am actively exploring the option of a red dot sight as part of my EDC. I mentioned in other posts that my eyesight is failing and I can no longer see the sights clearly. This lack of clarity in my sight picture is interfering with my accuracy and is tiring during extended range sessions.

I installed a red dot sight on my Ruger Mark IV 22/45 Lite to see what this technology was all about. I headed out to my local range to zero the device. I mentioned to the range safety officer the reason for my visit, and he stated that he recently made the switch for the same reasons. He assured me that it would make a difference in my shooting experience. After my range session, I agreed.

The addition of a red dot sight improved both my sight picture and accuracy on target. Although it did take some getting used to, I was able to rapidly acquire the dot in the window after a few magazines. I discovered that my presentation was sloppy and when corrected the dot appeared in the window immediately each time without having to search for it.

A few hundred rounds in, but I am certain that I will be adding a red dot to my EDC in the future.
I am waiting for SA to release the XD-E in 45 with a red dot sight.
Why don't you give em a call and get them off the fence?
I will get one and then get back to ya!

I have a Venom on my Walther, but i don't carry it. It may be a little faster sighting, but to me it's just another thing to get in the way or go out at the wrong time.
Just a friendly thought Bob..... as one ages and the eyes get weaker, we begin to reconsider some of our younger reasoning. I can tell you for certain that my target acquisition today with the red dot on my Hellcat is probably half again faster than without the red dot. I think the reason is the red dot requires no concentrated focusing on anything as does the open sights. Once I learned to disregard the open sights and just 'see' the red dot on the target, I was much more efficient.

Jus' somethin' to ponder. (y)(y)(y)

Just a friendly thought Bob..... as one ages and the eyes get weaker, we begin to reconsider some of our younger reasoning. I can tell you for certain that my target acquisition today with the red dot on my Hellcat is probably half again faster than without the red dot. I think the reason is the red dot requires no concentrated focusing on anything as does the open sights. Once I learned to disregard the open sights and just 'see' the red dot on the target, I was much more efficient.

Jus' somethin' to ponder. (y)(y)(y)

I don't disagree Joe. I am a red dot acolyte. I have a bunch of them on ARs and shotguns and I completely agree with you. I have one on a target pistol too and it is definitely faster and increases accuracy not insignificantly. At this point though I am just not convinced of the tangible advantages of having one on a carry gun. It's not that I oppose the idea, assuming we are talking about a top tier RDMS with shake awake and full co-witness, it's just that I have doubts that any shot I would take in SD that involves the need to shoot further than my current training allows for wouldn't land me in prison. I think it's likely that any sights at all on a carry gun are unnecessary.

That said I do prefer my carry guns have sights. :)

Last edited:
My vision has been "corrected" since I was in the fourth grade. My vision's adjustment was originally for distance viewing but now, at the crusty age of 67, my vision has required adjustment both far and near. I guess, should I survive another couple of decades, I may need a white cane too!

Reaching for trifocals in the middle of the night or while strolling down the street with my beautiful wife in order to properly see my sights seems a poor solution to my progressively hardening eyeballs.

The main reason I changed from my 44 Special Bulldog Pug to my XD-S 45 ACP was just so I could extend my accurate shooting distance after studying the cinema shooting in Colorado.

Dark rooms, extended ranges and possibly armored targets suggests the real requirement for head shots (i.e., small targets requiring a hard punch).
Almost any other scenario's difficulty drops dramatically after that.
I really didn't want to put too fine a point on the "head shot" part but I'm just being honest.

I'm just an old guy with bad vision who wants to be able to return fire...accurately.

I had to change my vote to a Yes tonight, because I just purchased a new OSP version of my XD-M Elite 3.8 Compact. The new pistol comes equipped with a HEX Dragonfly optic. My LGS had one in stock, so I picked it up right after work. They mounted the optic for me [adjusted the dot to center of the lens] and replaced the SM backstrap with the LG one included in the box [for my large hands].

I took it next door to the range and finished sighting it in. The sight picture was perfect for windage and only needed a small adjustment downward to bring the shots to dead center at 7 yards. I can now see both my target and my sight with absolute clarity.

PXL_20210728_013456295.jpg

I'm looking forward to this journey I am on with red dots. I am sure there are things I will learn along the way too.

Ok, question here, my Hellcat OSP came with the wasp installed, I finally think it’s sighted in, I am planning on getting the Streamlight TR6 Hellcat light and laser, my question is, do I sight the laser the same place as I have my dot hitting, thinking I should, this may be a stupid question, but the dot and if I get the TR-6 will also be my first light and laser.

Back