testtest

Do you red dot, or not?

Do you use red dot sights as part of your EDC?

• Yes

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • No

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • Thinking about it

Votes: 11 31.4%

• Total voters
Ok, question here, my Hellcat OSP came with the wasp installed, I finally think it’s sighted in, I am planning on getting the Streamlight TR6 Hellcat light and laser, my question is, do I sight the laser the same place as I have my dot hitting, thinking I should, this may be a stupid question, but the dot and if I get the TR-6 will also be my first light and laser.
What distance is your dot zero'ed at ?

At the moment 15yards
I would say that's a good distance for the laser too. You will have a hard time seeing it in sunlight any further than that. The thing about lasers is that if you just adjust the laser to the dot off your living room wall or something when you are shooting at different distances that laser isn't going to stay where the dot is. So what I'm saying is try to set your laser with your dot while you are looking through it at 15 yards. Then shoot it off a rest to see where it's hitting. It's kinda like bore sighting. Setting it off your dot will get you close. Probably close enough, but you should check it at the range. Primarily the laser will be a CQB distance sight and low or no light. I wouldn't count on it being uber useful on the range. Even my green one is hard to see past 20 yards in the sun.

Unlike a red dot or a scope or even iron sights, just utilizing hold over/under isn't going to do a whole lot for you with a laser. Because it simply isn't going to be visible past a certain range in normal conditions. You have to remember height over/under bore, but that's about it. As far as setting it for usefulness in SD situations you could just as well set a target up at 15 feet on a cloudy day and zero it to that and have no worries.

Long, wordy answer -
I had been trying to resist the dot on my handguns move for a while. March I got a PDP and early May I put a Holosun 507C ACSS on it. A couple friends who are instructors were no help in my resistance - they are both saying basically - "that's the direction its going - you might as well get on board." No regrets Then I started thinking about going with a dot on my EDC.
I'm 57 and have astigmatism in both eyes - not equally.

I've got 2 Sig P365XL's - one I carry and one I shoot at the range. Got a deal from an FFL friend on 2 Holosun 507K - Green dots. Put one on the range 365xl and have shot it the last couple weeks at range sessions. I'm comfortable enough to mount the 2nd dot on my EDC. I just haven't done it yet.

Will probably make the add this coming weekend. I did have to make a holster adjustment. I carry at 4 o clock in a Vedder LT - deepest setting and far forward cant. I had to raise it up one hole in height. The dot had a stutter on my belt at the deepest setting - after adjustment - no issues.

Friday 7/23 - 30ft - 2 quick shots - tracking targets in order. Satisfied enough to make the switch- but still have work to do. (This is factory zero of 25 yards. I have not touched the zero.)
1627445997482.png

Last edited:
Long, wordy answer -
I had been trying to resist the dot on my handguns move for a while. March I got a PDP and early May I put a Holosun 507C ACSS on it. A couple friends who are instructors were no help in my resistance - they are both saying basically - "that's the direction its going - you might as well get on board." No regrets Then I started thinking about going with a dot on my EDC.

I've got 2 Sig P365XL's - one I carry and one I shoot at the range. Got a deal from an FFL friend on 2 Holosun 507K - Green dots. Put one on the range 365xl and have shot it the last couple weeks at range sessions. I'm comfortable enough to mount the 2nd dot on my EDC. I just haven't done it yet.

Will probably make the add this coming weekend. I did have to make a holster adjustment. I carry at 4 o clock in a Vedder LT - deepest setting and far forward cant. I had to raise it up one hole in height. The dot had a stutter on my belt at the deepest setting - after adjustment - no issues.

Friday 7/23 - 30ft - 2 quick shots - tracking targets in order. Satisfied enough to make the switch- but still have work to do. (This is factory zero of 25 yards. I have not touched the zero.)
View attachment 19307
Nice shooting.

Long, wordy answer -

View attachment 19307
Wow, nice shooting.

To the OP, by all means yes on a RDS for conceal carry if your eyes are getting dim. As mentioned, practice at the range until you feel comfortable at a good distance besides PBR and shoot it until it's muscle memory. The RDS on the gun I may carry if I did conceal carry but I probably don't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:) does not print even in summer and does not in any way shape or form snag on anything I'm wearing.

For Annihilator, IMO......if you can co-witness even 1/3rd with your RDS, I see no reason at all to have a laser light on the gun. A flash light, yes but not a RDS, laser light and a flashlight. Two beams regardless of their color is asking for trouble in a heartbeat confrontation moment. Laser and flashlight or RDS and flashlight. Not the trio.

To the OP, by all means yes on a RDS for conceal carry if your eyes are getting dim. As mentioned, practice at the range until you feel comfortable at a good distance besides PBR and shoot it until it's muscle memory. The RDS on the gun I may carry if I did conceal carry but I probably don't,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:) does not print even in summer and does not in any way shape or form snag on anything I'm wearing.

For Annihilator, IMO......if you can co-witness even 1/3rd with your RDS, I see no reason at all to have a laser light on the gun. A flash light, yes but not a RDS, laser light and a flashlight. Two beams regardless of their color is asking for trouble in a heartbeat confrontation moment. Laser and flashlight or RDS and flashlight. Not the trio.
I was kinda thinking the same, I mean I can get the laser and light combo and just use the light, or if I take off the dot, I’ll still have the laser.

Last edited:
When shooting the 365XL with the Holosun 507k (green) - I'm shooting with both the 32 MOA circle and the 2 MOA dot on. For me - that outer ring makes it easier to find the dot.
1627481960136.png

If you are going with a double-stack - Its hard to beat the the 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. for me as a new red dot handgun shooter - that reticle is like training wheels for finding the dot.

I am a little resistant because it *might* mean that I have to get new holsters, depending upon the red dot size. I had a laser on my XDS45 for a couple years and hated it. I fought it every step of the way and didn't want to re-train my brain to use it because I only had it on that single gun. So, getting used to a laser on one gun, but iron sights on another? Not my cup of tea. I'm a simple guy. I don't use lasers, I don't use red dots (yet) and I don't use safeties on my weapons. I want to pull the pistol and make it go bang. Period. Not sure I want to re-train with red dots, but the more articles I read have me thinking it *might* be worth it.

When shooting the 365XL with the Holosun 507k (green) - I'm shooting with both the 32 MOA circle and the 2 MOA dot on. For me - that outer ring makes it easier to find the dot.
View attachment 19308
If you are going with a double-stack - Its hard to beat the the 507C with the ACSS Vulcan reticle. for me as a new red dot handgun shooter - that reticle is like training wheels for finding the dot.
dadoser,
videos won't work here from YouTube, YouTube has blocked all videos for some reason

I am a little resistant because it *might* mean that I have to get new holsters, depending upon the red dot size. I had a laser on my XDS45 for a couple years and hated it. I fought it every step of the way and didn't want to re-train my brain to use it because I only had it on that single gun. So, getting used to a laser on one gun, but iron sights on another? Not my cup of tea. I'm a simple guy. I don't use lasers, I don't use red dots (yet) and I don't use safeties on my weapons. I want to pull the pistol and make it go bang. Period. Not sure I want to re-train with red dots, but the more articles I read have me thinking it *might* be worth it.
I had the same concern with the cost of holsters.
I contacted Vedder (I had a Lighttuck and LightDraw for the 365XL). They charged me $5 per holster to cut for the red dots. I paid shipping to them - they paid return shipping. I may not have needed to send the LightDraw in - looking at it after the fact - they cut very little out and I think it would have worked with my Holosun without any extra cut. Both holster - with the cut - also still work well with the gun w/o the dot as well.

Contact your holster company and see if they will modify your current holsters and the cost.

No stupid questions!
I have the Crimson Trace Laser Guard on my XD-M.
Because there is no error in that beam, the "field of depth" where the bullet path intersects the path of the beam is very narrow.
I purchased the M and laser specifically to be able to make accurate extended range hits.
If I can maintain hits within a head-sized target from across a large darkened room, I believe I have done the best I can to protect myself and my loved ones from most surprise attacks.
Whenever SA brings out an optics ready XD-E, 45 with the Hex, I will transition to that and abandon the laser.
The laser is a tell-tale that targeting is happening.
Stealth is a good thing to my mind.
Hope I made myself clear.

I had the same concern with the cost of holsters.
I contacted Vedder (I had a Lighttuck and LightDraw for the 365XL). They charged me $5 per holster to cut for the red dots. I paid shipping to them - they paid return shipping. I may not have needed to send the LightDraw in - looking at it after the fact - they cut very little out and I think it would have worked with my Holosun without any extra cut. Both holster - with the cut - also still work well with the gun w/o the dot as well.

Contact your holster company and see if they will modify your current holsters and the cost.
I did that. They are not willing. They want me to buy a new holster. Not very friendly. They're getting bigger and might need to reassess their priorities toward their customers. Little too big for their britches.

Back