testtest

Do You Think the 1911 Is the Worst Gun for Cops?

proficiency in the model you carry is the winning solution. whether its a 1911 or XD, or glock or ???

range time is costly for departments and military so the "P" word is non existent except in elite groups that train and train.
my navy career i was expected to be "P" with 1911, then the beretta, but we didnt get much range time except at re-qual time, and that was RUSHED.
we were helicopter fixers..
but my buddy in the army lived at the range, it was his job and he is "P" to the point its scary at how the pistol is an extension of his hand.

our sheriff carries a 1911, his deputies dont. they rely on 17 rounds to make up for the lack of "P" (y)

Though definitely not an expert but do have some experience in its use in military and law enforcement. Have carried one for approximately 25 years before changing, in rotation, to a Glock 22 and a Sig 226, with no regrets. The 1911 is an excellent personal defense weapon if one can cope with the size and weight. For law enforcement use, too big, too heavy and too few rounds. Now a civilian in retirement, when out in public, I rotate between a Browning Hi-Power and a Glock 19 and don't feel the less unprotected. My current 1911's of two down from a high of eight, I only carry on my property and feel no need to carry one out in public with its physical discomforts.

I currently don’t own a 1911 and although I have purchased 3 my experience with the platform was that 1911’s are fantastic shooting guns that personally I never found that I had to adjust or change my shooting style to achieve great groupings. I’ll admit the ones I owned made me a better shooter.
My last 1911 was a Springfield Emissary 45ACP it functioned flawlessly and was a great looking handgun however it was just too darn heavy for me to carry and ended being a nightstand gun.
For LEO use the only downfall I could think of would be round capacity however I always say “you do you” and if it works then go for it.

I was carrying my 226 recently and my wife noticed it was cocked and locked. I thought her eyes were going to pop out of her head.
At least yours knows what the hammer is... Mine has to be armed with "pull trigger go bang", no safety involved. Oh she can shoot as she brought home her first target after CC training and made some comment about to don't forget it Bucko. As I stated earlier, the 1911 is a great platform and I used in military (dating self) but not for general duty LE. The closest I carried for duty was the old 8 round S&W 645 which was DA/SA and frame wise, pretty darn close. There are better double stacks and lord knows when the caps start popping, you never have enough and we all know or can tell stories of...

The only problem with the 1911 today is the mindset and training of security guards and law enforcement.
The 1911 was designed to put a bullet on target. Most people, even the FBI are trained to pop caps until the threat stops.
I love to do some plinking, but I'm not a cap popper. I'm forever a fan of JMB'S designs.
The 1911 was perfected 100 years ago, the only adjustments have been for using different ammo or running a shorter cycle.
A Glock is a good backup for a 1911, but when you're talking about perfection, 8 rounds at a time should hit the spot.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Do You Think the 1911 Is the Worst Gun for Cops?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/is-the-1911-the-worst-gun-for-cops/.

I was discharged from the Army 50 years ago and joined the Washington D.C. Police department. My duty pistol was Smith & Wesson .38 Special, which was a fine wheel gun. However, it wasn’t as accurate or as easy to shoot as the M1911 I carried in the service. shooting a 1911 is almost intuitive. Shooting A revolver takes a bit more thought. I know police departments have transitioned away from revolvers decades ago for semi-autos, but I think relooking the 1911 for police work is certainly worth considering.

I'm no expert in anything firearm-related, but hitting a target with my 1911 is WAY easier (to hit) than my revolver in double or single action. I find revolvers to be bulky(wide), low capacity, and difficult to fire accurately double-action. I'd take my 1911 over my revolver any day if and when it counts.

Of course I use a plastic wonder-gun striker-fire for EDC and HD...so maybe my opinion doesn't count....

Back