testtest

Does The AR-15 Need A Forward Assist?

It doesn't hurt to have it installed and it's better safe then sorry. Also Its not like you pay extra for this feature. I have used the forward assist only a few times that I can remember and it's only been when I had a newbie charge the rifle and they rode the handle back which didn't fully chamber the round.

I was in the army when they shifted from the M14 to the M16 back in '69. They told us it the forward assist was to "walk" the bolt forward (when necessary) into battery QUIETLY so Charlie (Gooks) wouldn't hear. In the years I served, never saw anyone use it.

I've wondered this as well, because it seems no one uses them anymore during loading or malfunction drills.

I fired an AR-15 for the first time this year since I was last issued one 22 years ago and I hit the forward assist just like I was trained after chambering the first round. The cadre from my first unit were Vietnam veterans who experienced reliability issues with the early versions of this weapon in country, and ordered us to always use the forward assist.

I was not impressed with my first issue rifle, because it felt cheap and came chambered in .22 caliber. I later came to embrace it, because of the accuracy of the platform.

I would like my forward assist to be shorter because the size of my charging handle kinda competes with it.

Do I need it? In that low probability situation where I actually need it, yeah.

But I want a shorter one.

Had to use it on buddies rifle when failure to feed left the bolt semi open and jammed. Cheap gun. Cheap ammo.
Had to hit it with a rubber mallet

Are there any manufacturers who do not include this item?
Yes there's quite a few companies that make uppers without this feature for a more streamline look. Aero Precision and Anderson both make an upper without a forward assist.

Last edited:
I would like my forward assist to be shorter because the size of my charging handle kinda competes with it.

Do I need it? In that low probability situation where I actually need it, yeah.

But I want a shorter one.
You could always change out your charging handle for a wider model. I primarily use Radian Raptor SD charging handles on my rifles but they aren't cheap. There's a few decent ambi options with a wide profile out there in the $50 range.

You could always change out your charging handle for a wider model. I primarily use Radian Raptor SD charging handles on my rifles but they aren't cheap. There's a few decent ambi options with a wide profile out there in the $50 range.

I have a Radian too. It’s the slim version with the short handles/‘wings’ but the wing still comes out to the same distance as the forward assist. I think all other Radians are bigger than the one I have but my AR is slim and wide handles look kind of out of place.

Back