testtest

Does Your Doctor Want To Disarm You?

My PCP asked me about guns when I first signed up with him few years back, told him and his assistant that it’s none of your business or concern, and if you don’t like my answer there are plenty of other PCP doctors available, never heard any more from him and I have been with him now for 3-4 years

Last edited:
I always ask how the doctor/fnp feels about the 2nd Amendment when we initially interview since many offices have 'no firearms' signs on the door, which by state law doesn't apply to LE retirees. The state enacted it's own version of LEOSA years ago. The signs are in place because their insurance company "demands" it.

I tell the doctor/fnp up front that I am retired LE. So far everyone of them is 2A supportive. One doctor pulled up his sweater to show me his Glock 19. His staff all carry, in fact the doctor paid for his staff to attend Gunsite.

When answering the medical history questions and it's asked, I leave it blank. But it's not a crime to lie...

my primary doctor could care less, he knows my sport/hobby, as he is the one that orders up lead testing.

my urologist, and podiatrist, both have guns, and in fact, my podiatrist once belonged to my gun club.

when i go to ANY of my doctors, even my dentist, or go for blood work, or x-rays, the gun stays in the car.

This guy sounds like a decent enough sort. I also know a few Doctors that are "pro-gun" for themselves, but not for the great unwashed masses. They are after all Oh so educated, Oh so professional, Oh so responsible, etc. etc. etc. I don't tell em nothing they don't need to know. Q. Do you have guns? A. Next question. Q. What's your race? A. Why you are planning on profiling me, next question. Q. Have you missed and meals in the last 30 days? A. How is your eyesight? Do I look like it? next question, and no I don't want a flu shot, shingles vaccine, colin ostomy, quit smoking, lose weight, or anything else you're selling. Do the exam, refill my high blood pressure meds, and let me to hell out of here. See ya next year, thanks. For crying out loud I already have to go see the cardiologist to check my pacemaker every year on top of the bed side monitor that keeping track of me. WHAT MORE DO THEY NEED? :mad: ;) :devilish:

When I retired, I moved from an urban area to a very rural one. I transferred my medical records to the new location. As the nurse was processing me, she asked if I owned any guns, then before I could answer, said "Or is that none of my business?" I said I would've phrased it more politely (never a good idea to **** off people that may be sticking needles in you), but yeah. Most people in the area either hunt and/or shoot, so I guess she got that response a lot.

I recently retired from 46 years of medical practice in Alaska and the Pacific Northwest. I regularly carried as did many of my colleagues. I think that most of America has no problem with this. Stay away from blue states and cities and most of us still believe in freedom and the sanctity of self defense.

My primary Dr. is pro 2A , my kidney Dr is pro 2A , my heart Dr is pro 2A and is a hunter. The only Chiropractor I go to every once in a blue moon is also pro 2A. In fact when he found out I had my carry license he told me I didn't have to disarm when I made a visit.

Here in Illinois we aren't allowed to carry in Dr.'s offices or hospitals , along with many other places.

Hello all, here is today's article posted on TheArmoryLife.com. It is titled “Does Your Doctor Want To Disarm You?” and can be found at https://www.thearmorylife.com/does-your-doctor-want-to-disarm-you/.

Great write-up. Thanks!
However, I think it's time for doctors to stop being "closeted" about their views. The anti-gun doctors sure are not and they are pushing their views and trying to make gun ownership some sort of "disease". Soon owning a gun may exempt you from buying medical insurance. Time to be vocal, time to make the pencils pushers at the top know they don't speak for all the doctors.

Last edited:
I used to talk guns and shooting with my doctor until I had to sign up for another. He called me at home and asked if I wanted to buy all of his reloading stuff. I did and got a crapload of bullets, powder, primers and misc. I still have several thousand bullets, press and calipers. He said at the time that he would be only shooting factory.

Gulf Coast Mississippi here. Seeing cardiologist today. Some places do have signs posted but they have to be visible and no further than ten feet of entrance. I usually leave mine at home or in some cases locked up in my truck. Most hospitals even down here don't allow firearms. Up in a city like Jackson it's pretty much a no brainer. Hospital or doctors office.

Back