testtest

Does your edc have a wml?

I carry one 100% at night and for all my home defense guns have a light/laser attached, during the day I do not always, but now that it's darker earlier I now walk out in the dark and because of this topic will add one. Holsters albeit are a little harder to find, just about everyone makes one still. Carry one, know your target, enough with this I don't want them to see me, if you pull your weapon It's all ready on, and you are the target already. Check out this video it explains better than I can.

Damescool, Mandatory WML on HG's? Can see where WML's may be handy in some situations. But, be careful of what's wished for may come to mind too? Video's a bit unrealistic and overly idealistic in my opinion, keeping in mind how many different HG's and WML's there are in existence with likely more to follow?

From experience, be very careful of thinking, wishing or stating anything's mandatory, the wrong person may be paying attention to those sometimes misguided thoughts and deeds? Many in the firearm community are dealing with some of those blasted over idealized mandatory issues from different directions of whatever's mandatory now.

Besides, what's next?
WMK? Mandatory Weapon Mounted Knives? And, then there's the seemingly never ending holster hunt and peck search that follows shortly there after? Mandatory WML holsters sold with WML's? - Where's that going for the manufacturer, reseller, consumer or HG user? Only costly time consuming custom holsters made and supplied with each and every style, type and brand HG and WML systems then? Could easily be an almost never ending nightmare and headache for everyone involved and concerned. Just available shelf space could be overwhelming to stock the many varieties then. That's not even taking into consideration the many varied manufacturing tasks pushed onto manufacturers then either.

In the end?
Holster mfg's and HG users can have a difficult enough time now with just stock HG's. So, what's the answer? Specialized built in recoil rod WML's? That's been done with laser sights to varying degrees of success. About the same with laser sight handgrips to a lesser degree. Battery size, consumption, duration length, placement or replacement, switches and usage can then be an issue with either lights or lasers. Then, add in the many types of lenses to the mix? Basically, mandatory WML's are really pushing extremes.

o me, lights/lasers are more of an aggressive feature, not necessary for self defense.

There are more aggressive than a gun? hahahahahah! I think I spit my coffee when I read that.

I am sorry bro, but I will not assign emotional connotations to a tool. lights and lasers are simply tools

I dont use a WML but accept that they do have a narrow use factor. I have no issue with them accept then they are used as the primary source of light whereby a person points the weapon at anything and everything that they need to shine a light on.

No weapon mounted light here.

Such lights are valuable for entry teams and others whose presence and location is already generally compromised, and who have intelligence that those lit by those weapon mounted lights have already been reasonably identified as not * possible,* but *PROBABLE* deadly threats.

Use by a defender means to determine whether what went bump in the night is a threat to the family or teen sneaking into his or her bedroom after curfew means pointing that weapon at the otherwise innocent family member.

They are not for determining if what the light light is pointed at is a threat, but locating that threat when it is known present in a small area …such as in a room entry.

I made enough room entries when I was law enforcement and military.
I hire younger people than me with my tax dollars to do that s̶h̶i̶ stuff now.

I use my pocket light for a lot of stuff that I won’t point a gun at…and it doesn’t take much training to learn to use it effectively if While ai have a gun out if need be.

But I have a hard time reasonably imagining what that need might be.

You guys know most armed encounters are over in a couple heartbeats, don’t you?

Such lights are valuable for entry teams and others whose presence and location is already generally compromised, and who have intelligence that those lit by those weapon mounted lights have already been reasonably identified as not * possible,* but *PROBABLE* deadly threats.

Use by a defender means to determine whether what went bump in the night is a threat to the family or teen sneaking into his or her bedroom after curfew means pointing that weapon at the otherwise innocent family member.

They are not for determining if what the light light is pointed at is a threat, but locating that threat when it is known present in a small area …such as in a room entry.

I use my pocket light for a lot of stuff that I won’t point a gun at…and it doesn’t take much training to learn to use it effectively if While ai have a gun out if need be.

Yes, a couple of heartbeats at an elevated heart rate!

Welcome the the forum and thank you for your service!

It’s plenty easy to “bounce” your light off walls, ceilings, etc to illuminate a room without pointing it directly at an unknown (potential) target. It’s a lot easier in your home, where you know the layout.

That being said, I use both handhelds and WML’s, as they have different purposes…one is search, the other destroy.

I don’t have them on my carry guns, though. Just HD weapons.

I’m a member on some Facebook groups and one of them is mostly younger owners of Sig P365XL (I have one of them along with my Hellcat for carry). Many post their cerakoted and otherwise jazzed up P365XLs, many with WMLs on them.

I got shouted down a couple of weeks ago for daring to ask why you need a light on a small concealed carry pistol. I went into my reasons which were the same as many posted here, most notably that I’m never in low light situations in public, and I don’t want to pull my weapon and flag someone to determine whether or not they’re a threat that requires deadly force.

All the “tacticool” kiddies gave me the “ok Boomer” treatment, but none could articulate the threat they were protecting themselves from. Lights just seem to be required coolness now.

I’m a member on some Facebook groups and one of them is mostly younger owners of Sig P365XL (I have one of them along with my Hellcat for carry). Many post their cerakoted and otherwise jazzed up P365XLs, many with WMLs on them.

I got shouted down a couple of weeks ago for daring to ask why you need a light on a small concealed carry pistol. I went into my reasons which were the same as many posted here, most notably that I’m never in low light situations in public, and I don’t want to pull my weapon and flag someone to determine whether or not they’re a threat that requires deadly force.

All the “tacticool” kiddies gave me the “ok Boomer” treatment, but none could articulate the threat they were protecting themselves from. Lights just seem to be required coolness now.

Seems to be the same with many things from time to time over the years. Like with cars, bikes or whatever for some? The "hotrodding" comes and goes with many things. Guessing it builds up character and builds learning experiences? Many things seem to be antiseptic or too much of the same in some ways and individualism is as American as apple pie too.

On firearms or many other things, one size doesn't always fit right or for the purpose or use either. Lights are fine if they fit into an intended purpose in low light situations. If not, don't. Thing is, usually only having one HG or firearm at time or just one period, depending on scenarios, things can change so needs may change as well. "Boyscouting" or being prepared for most anything can help if and when out and about in different areas where some are low light and other areas aren't. Having different options, from experience, can be a good thing or an indifferent one.

Tacticool, being cool is a frame of mind and just trying to fit into the scheme of things. Knowing, understanding yourself and your needs can be the best key to being cool if that's the direction someone's aiming on going. Is funny in a sense in some ways on trying to fit in? Being an individual with own thoughts and then sometimes changing those individual needs and thoughts to fit in may defeat one or the other? Age dependent? We're all kids at heart? Some have just been around the block more or less times? Can be a balancing act? :)

I took a S&W SD40VE in trade a few years ago. I got to shooting it and decided it needed a trigger upgrade, a tritium night sight, a MP 40 rear sight and you guessed it, a light. If I wake up and grab the gun over a suspicious noise in here or outside it's nice not having to look for a flashlight. Target identification (at my own house!) over rides other considerations. The SD is never holstered or carried, it is taken to the range or near me when I sleep.

My Hellcat would be my carry gun if I needed to carry one. I have a Muddy River holster for it, just in case.
No light.

I keep seeing "people on YouTube" with weapons mounted lights, and I (at this time) don't see the need for one.
If you do use one why?
EDC, no ,but I carry a pocket light. The nightstand gun is fitted with a wml. I've had the good fortune to participate in a number of night matches at my local club. Believe me it's a whole new ballgame !!! I'm a believer in, better to have and not need ,than need and not have. Add the ability to defend in the dark, pray you dont need it.

Before I purchased my first handgun, I talked to many professionals. The last one I talked to before my first purchase was a County Sheriff. I explained I was a pistol virgin and thought a laser / light on my purchase would be great. His answer kept me from an unneeded expense, " Tinyman think about this. You light up your target and spend x seconds trying to find the dot, you're dead".

Before I purchased my first handgun, I talked to many professionals. The last one I talked to before my first purchase was a County Sheriff. I explained I was a pistol virgin and thought a laser / light on my purchase would be great. His answer kept me from an unneeded expense, " Tinyman think about this. You light up your target and spend x seconds trying to find the dot, you're dead".
Well, you would use one or the other not both at the same time.

Ok, a laser OR a light.

If you go back to post #9 you’ll see the pictures I posted. I was at least 25 yards away. I have a picture of the laser and then one of the light. What it comes down to is muscle memory. If you run a light/laser you’ll have to train yourself to engage it on the way up. If you have run one it’s not THAT hard to pick up.

It is going to come down to “each their own” if someone runs one, train with it. As stated earlier, don’t put your finger on the trigger unless your going to shoot. The days of running a light under your pistol are over. It’s quicker and also allows your opposite hand to be free.

In my opinion of course, lasers have their place. That place is when YOU are in a dark place and your attacker is not. Or if you are both in very low light, but you KNOW FOR A FACT that sillhouette is a bad guy. The fact is even with a nice green consumer grade laser you are going to have an extremely difficult time finding that dot during the daytime outdoors. I have one laser on a handgun. It is integral I did not add it on. And I never felt a need for another laser on a handgun. I do have a Viridian HS-1 green laser handstop on an AR pistol, but that is intended for HD. That pistol is also equipped with a red dot and flip ups.

No lights here. Having one would just give me more batteries to worry about in my opinion. I could see the value on long guns but i don’t have any i would use at home at present. Probably a mossberg 500 in my future that’ll have one.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, I've never been in a situation yet where I've thought to myself "I wish I had a weapons mounted light."

I also don't like things that I have to replace the batteries in

I do have a wml on my EDC, along with a dot. I have lights on my HD rifle and pistol as well. Im a believer in giving yourself every advantage. That being said, I don’t advise wmls for novice shooters. For someone who isn’t a proficient shooter, the light is a distraction and something else for a new shooter to mess with.
B11B3949-B8B9-45FC-AF3E-F569DE68509C.jpeg

Back