testtest

Does your edc have a wml?

All my ar's have weapon mounted lights on them. My duty weapon, edc and home defense pistols do not. I'm old school and use the FBI method and Harries method. 31 years LE has worked for me so far doing it that way plus almost that long into the martial arts, I like the idea of having an impact weapon readily available in case an encounter goes that way. Just my two cents.

I dislike WMLs on handguns. I understand the reasoning behind it, but I rarely find myself in dark, scary places other than my own head.

As for shotguns and ARs, I see the reasoning for that as well and may very well end up with one on a shotgun that lives near where I sleep, but frankly I have no real need for it. I have low level lighting throughout my house and the advantage of knowing the layout and having my eyeballs already adjusted to it. Plus I am a ridiculously light sleeper and there is no way into this house without me knowing about it almost immediately. No kids at home, just me and the woman sleeping next to me. So if you come in while we're sleeping, you're probably getting shot.

I keep small flashlights all over my house, always one next to my bedside weapon. I prefer not to aim a loaded/chambered weapon at something I don't want to kill. Just me, plenty will disagree, but I'm okay with that. I'm open to someone changing my mind. One might use the term "tactical...." I hate that adjective, however. Makes me think of the nerds running around in a field with battle helmets on, like GarandThumb (keep in mind, I love most of his content).

I keep small flashlights all over my house, always one next to my bedside weapon. I prefer not to aim a loaded/chambered weapon at something I don't want to kill. Just me, plenty will disagree, but I'm okay with that. I'm open to someone changing my mind. One might use the term "tactical...." I hate that adjective, however. Makes me think of the nerds running around in a field with battle helmets on, like GarandThumb (keep in mind, I love most of his content).
I agree. I also know that if you are in my house in the middle of the night you are there without my permission and pointing a gun at you isn't something I'm going to fret about.

I agree. I also know that if you are in my house in the middle of the night you are there without my permission and pointing a gun at you isn't something I'm going to fret about.
I have dogs (and a cat that seems to be up most nights) that make strange noises regularly...and what about teenagers sneaking in/out?

I prefer not to point a weapon that's ready to fire at those things....yes we can talk about trigger discipline and all that, of which I am conscious, but a WML forces you to point a weapon at anything you are trying to identify. Not a fan.

I have dogs that make strange noises regularly...and what about teenagers sneaking in/out?

I prefer not to point a weapon that's ready to fire at those things....yes we can talk about trigger discipline and all that, of which I am conscious, but a WML forces you to point a weapon at anything you are trying to identify. Not a fan.

Teenagers sneaking in and out ? Don't get me wrong brother, I am not suggesting your situation and mine are the same or even similar. There is zero chance of teenagers sneaking in and out of my house. If one "Sneaks" in, he broke a window because you ain't kicking the doors down. That is breaking and entering and in the middle of the night, while people are here, it's a home invasion. And I am totally comfortable pointing a gun at them.

Short answer, no.

Long answer, I've never been in a situation yet where I've thought to myself "I wish I had a weapons mounted light."

I also don't like things that I have to replace the batteries in
I’m sure you (along with most of us) have “never been in a situation” where you’ve needed a pistol period (with or without a wml) Sounds like your logic is an argument against carrying a weapon period? I’ve never been in a serious motor vehicle collision but I sure as hell wear a seatbelt!

I remember when I first joined the Army and someone asked about nightsights on a rifle. The answer given was just keep shooting till you hear them scream--then let them have it! You don't need lights to see what you are shooting at. All you do is make yourself a target. I have never used a light on a gun but I do admit to using nightsights on my handgun now that I am older.

I’m sure you (along with most of us) have “never been in a situation” where you’ve needed a pistol period (with or without a wml) Sounds like your logic is an argument against carrying a weapon period? I’ve never been in a serious motor vehicle collision but I sure as hell wear a seatbelt!
I actually have had to draw my gun at work a time or two. Always at night Never in a situation in which there wasn't sufficient ambient light for my to identify my target.

Now in retirement I'm not running around downtown in the wee hours I definitely see no need for a WML.

Your Milage May Vary.

My edc no (Springfield or Staccato C) but my nightstand/home defense yes (Polymer 80 PFC9 with light and optic). I find it uncomfortable to carry a light all day when I dont need it (work day shift - outside). Should probably get a Springfield Operator 5" with rail so my night stand and edc are similar (single action with safety).

I use a Surefire Z2 combat light for EDC. The issue with weapon mounted lights is that you have to point the weapon at the individual for identification. This could be a loved one or someone you really did not want to point your gun at. See where I’m going with this, no one wants a tragedy if other safeguards are not followed. When I worked in Special Operations this was never a concern because we knew exactly who we were going after.

I use a Surefire Z2 combat light for EDC. The issue with weapon mounted lights is that you have to point the weapon at the individual for identification. This could be a loved one or someone you really did not want to point your gun at. See where I’m going with this, no one wants a tragedy if other safeguards are not followed. When I worked in Special Operations this was never a concern because we knew exactly who we were going after.
The problem with a non weapon mounted light is now you need to draw two separate tools for one job. Also not having a dominant grip on the firearm because your holding a separate flashlight can be more of an accident waiting to happen than possibly aiming at an unintended target. The only time I'm pointing a firearm at someone is if there's a chance of an immediate threat. Keeping a separate handheld light on your person isn't a bad idea but to rely on it while in an engagement is asking for trouble.

If you have both a weapon mounted light and handheld, It's a lot easier to train to drop what's in your non draw hand and use the weapon mounted light then it is to use both tools at once.

Back