testtest

Don't Drop The Slide On An Empty Chamber!! - Avoid Gun Abuse!

Good info but I never do.
me neither.

in fact, when ever i buy a new gun, i always ask the sales person if he has one "in the back room"

too many ignoramuses', dropping slides on ANY gun, or whipping the cylinder on a revolver or dry firing.....for my tastes.

i prefer as untouched a new a gun as possible.......

"let's say", some moron damaged a gun from the display case, and i bought it and i had "some issue", how would i know if it was a factory issue or an ignorant asses issue....??

also, i respect the gun shops inventory, it's his money outlayed or consigned to the distributor, on the line, for ME to abuse his property.

I am going to make a confession here and admit that this is first time I have seen anyone advise not to drop the slide on an empty chamber because it could damage the gun. I will also admit that in my younger days I have been guilty of doing that very thing. However, in my own defense, I eventually realized, through plain old intuition, that doing this can't be good for the gun and stopped doing it.

Mas gives good advice here and I'm glad to see him come out with this video.

I am going to make a confession here and admit that this is first time I have seen anyone advise not to drop the slide on an empty chamber because it could damage the gun. I will also admit that in my younger days I have been guilty of doing that very thing. However, in my own defense, I eventually realized, through plain old intuition, that doing this can't be good for the gun and stopped doing it.

Mas gives good advice here and I'm glad to see him come out with this video.
it "can happen" by accident to drop the slide...but to do so purposely is just not warranted.

me neither.

in fact, when ever i buy a new gun, i always ask the sales person if he has one "in the back room"

too many ignoramuses', dropping slides on ANY gun, or whipping the cylinder on a revolver or dry firing.....for my tastes.

i prefer as untouched a new a gun as possible.......

"let's say", some moron damaged a gun from the display case, and i bought it and i had "some issue", how would i know if it was a factory issue or an ignorant asses issue....??

also, i respect the gun shops inventory, it's his money outlayed or consigned to the distributor, on the line, for ME to abuse his property.
The only thing I disagree with here is dry firing. 95%+ of gun manufacturers admit dry firing does no damage. The most that say don't dry fire are on rimfire platforms.
My long range .300 win mag has been dry fire thousands of time with zero damage. Both of my Canik TP9SFx are used in comps and are dry fired daily with zero damage. I don't own a gun that isn't dry fired save for some of my rimfires.

Moral of the story- dry fire helps more than it hurts. That's my 2 cents anyway.

The only thing I disagree with here is dry firing. 95%+ of gun manufacturers admit dry firing does no damage. The most that say don't dry fire are on rimfire platforms.
My long range .300 win mag has been dry fire thousands of time with zero damage. Both of my Canik TP9SFx are used in comps and are dry fired daily with zero damage. I don't own a gun that isn't dry fired save for some of my rimfires.

Moral of the story- dry fire helps more than it hurts. That's my 2 cents anyway.
that's ok

you do yours, i'll not do mine

I'm going to take issue with you on that one based on my own (costly) experience. And I used to believe that, too.

And then, in short order, I managed, by dry-firing, to break the firing pins of a Smith M19. AND a Colt Python. AND a Walther P.38--twice, on that one. :eek: I also broke the safety on a WWII PPK by using it as advertised and dropping the hammer with it. :oops:

Long story short, I no longer dry-fire my centerfire handguns without snap-caps in place.

So you do what you want, and I'll keep doing what I know works for me. Fair 'nuff? ;)

i have 2 CZ's, and both are the 75B model.

i learnt from reading when i got my first one, to NEVER dry fire, and as a result, i carry that over to ALL my handguns..

i do have snap caps of all the calibers i shoot, for any practice however, and frankly?

i only practice with real ammo at the range..

Is it OK to dry fire a CZ 75?

Put simply - most modern handguns are unlikely to be damaged by dryfire - but some are. A perfect example of this is CZ's 75B line of handguns. CZ's hammer fired guns featuring a firing pin block have a roll pin that retains the firing pin. This roll pin is prone to shattering if dryfired much.May 15, 2020

as a result, i bought a few extra heavy duty roll pins from Cajun Gun Works, and keep them on hand.

i have 2 CZ's, and both are the 75B model.

i learnt from reading when i got my first one, to NEVER dry fire, and as a result, i carry that over to ALL my handguns..

i do have snap caps of all the calibers i shoot, for any practice however, and frankly?

i only practice with real ammo at the range..

as a result, i bought a few extra heavy duty roll pins from Cajun Gun Works, and keep them on hand.
Old Me, that article you linked to is EXCELLENT. Thanks! ;)

his video hit my you tube the other day

he made me laugh
but we NO drop the slide like that ever.... cept in the NAVY...what he said was standard practice for a WATCH pistol, but not your assigned pistol
right, and i "noticed" that when Mas said there is a Youtube video of a guy saying his was in the military, and was told to do that..?? i think he was alluding to Gunblue490, as i saw his video on that subject of dropping the slide, when he did MP duty....

right, and i "noticed" that when Mas said there is a Youtube video of a guy saying his was in the military, and was told to do that..?? i think he was alluding to Gunblue490, as i saw his video on that subject of dropping the slide, when he did MP duty....
yup the berrettas and gov 1911 we used on quarterdeck watch were abused to death
lots of dry fire into a sand barrel and LOTS of drop the slides, scratched to beat all. I can remember once having a cartridge in the chamber in 2 years of watch station on quarterdeck in homeport. most were two magazines in a flip top holder and empty pistol on a lanyard in a horrible holster. in-case you dropped it...dont want a splash to the water below

but the rifles had magazines inserted, but not chambered . NUTS NUTS

this was inport in U S.

overseas was a different cowboy altogether.
we roved locked and loaded with both weapons and did not stand on quarterdeck or brow. some of us had shotguns :love:

Haven't watched the vid as I don't care for watching vids, I prefer to read.

Dry firing...guess it depends on the gun as some have said. Everything I have read, seen, been taught said it's fine on MOST guns.

The tactical trainers encourage us to dry fire our duty Glocks, and most trainers encourage dry firing

But I do know that htere are certian guns you shouldn't dry fire

I just wonder how long a person can keep using A-Zoom snap caps before they are worn enough so the pistol could be damaged.

Back