testtest

Don't Drop The Slide On An Empty Chamber!! - Avoid Gun Abuse!

The clear solution is to do it the Bassbob way. Instead of snap caps buy live ammo and instead of dry firing, live fire.
I do that too. And then I punch out the primers and fill the primer pockets with GE silicone caulk. And then I use 'em for snap caps. ;)

For maximum cheapness, do this only with cases that are due to be tossed anyway due to neck cracks/splits, flaking plating, being reloaded so many times the headstamp is gone, etc.

I do that too. And then I punch out the primers and fill the primer pockets with GE silicone caulk. And then I use 'em for snap caps. ;)

For maximum cheapness, do this only with cases that are due to be tossed anyway due to neck cracks/splits, flaking plating, being reloaded so many times the headstamp is gone, etc.
I sweep mine away into the netherworld.

I sweep mine away into the netherworld.
omg....

not me, i sweep up all brass near my port, even many times, seeking brass from other ports. as we all know, ejected brass can "fly" all around you.

when i get it home, i know mine, as i mark them, then i toss all the others in my "go to the salvage yard" bucket.

omg....

not me, i sweep up all brass near my port, even many times, seeking brass from other ports. as we all know, ejected brass can "fly" all around you.

when i get it home, i know mine, as i mark them, then i toss all the others in my "go to the salvage yard" bucket.
I put a bucket with small holes in it out and was throwing my brass in it in case someone else wanted it for reloading. No one did. It all gets swept into a pile out front of the benches. Occasionally when I'm bored I'll collect a bunch of it and sell it for scrap, but not often.

The clear solution is to do it the Bassbob way. Instead of snap caps buy live ammo and instead of dry firing, live fire.
I agree Bob, and that is what I used to do. Back then, I could walk out the front or back door and shoot to my hearts content. Unfortunately, I had to figure out a way to make a living and moved to a place where I can no longer do that. I really miss it, but such is life and I am grateful either way. :)

omg....

we harvest brass at our range
then inspect it at home and clean and use it if it passes muster
we have a WEIRDO that leaves tons of 45 acp once fired brass at the range, we are talking i collect over 300 every time he has been there
the police do the same thing, they leave hundreds of 9mm once fired
i my never have to buy brass again :love:

I agree Bob, and that is what I used to do. Back then, I could walk out the front or back door and shoot to my hearts content. Unfortunately, I had to figure out a way to make a living and moved to a place where I can no longer do that. I really miss it, but such is life and I am grateful either way. :)
I can and used to shoot out back all the time. I had a nice little 30 yard range set up. The wife got tired of finding brass in her flowers and dealing with the dogs and cats freaking out every time I went out, so she got a me a membership to the gun club down the road and I've been there ever since.

we harvest brass at our range
then inspect it at home and clean and use it if it passes muster
we have a WEIRDO that leaves tons of 45 acp once fired brass at the range, we are talking i collect over 300 every time he has been there
the police do the same thing, they leave hundreds of 9mm once fired
i my never have to buy brass again :love:
i am not surprised about the individual leaving brass, but it surprises me the police do..that's good money from recycling that can go towards more range ammo, or targets for them.

Several years ago a gunsmith told me dropping the slide on an empty chamber on a 1911 could do damage to a good trigger job. True or not I don't do it.
That might or might not be true--I can't say with certainty one way or the other--but I'm not going to argue it because there is NO GOOD THING that comes of dropping the slide on an empty chamber in a 1911. It's bloody hard on several different areas of the gun. ;)

It's almost as painful to watch as when someone flip-slams the cylinder closed on a revolver.
this afternoon on Amazon Prime, i watched the very first episode of Barnaby Jones..it shows how his son died...Barnaby comes out of retirement, takes his old revolver and does just that......!!

but to be fair, a lot of tv shows and movies show it being done that way. i think Brownell's had a video on that, where on tv it's supposed to have been "cool"........

whether it was a low priced 1911, that i have owned, or my very expensive Korth revolver, i just do not abuse them.

cuz that 1 time you might need that gun to function, to maybe defend your life....??

might be the time....it does not, all cuz of that "cool" factor like on tv.

Never saw a reason to drop a slide on an empty chamber. VERY seldom see a need to drop one on a loaded chamber.
If you already have a round in the chamber dropping the slide on it could cause an accidental discharge. I'm referring mostly to 1911's, but I guess possibly with striker fired pistols also. The firing pin goes forward with inertia from the slide's dropping. The breech/bolt face strikes the chambered round forcing the firing pin into the round. Long explanation, hope I didn't confuse y'all.

If you already have a round in the chamber dropping the slide on it could cause an accidental discharge. I'm referring mostly to 1911's, but I guess possibly with striker fired pistols also. The firing pin goes forward with inertia from the slide's dropping. The breech/bolt face strikes the chambered round forcing the firing pin into the round. Long explanation, hope I didn't confuse y'all.
Yeah I should have said it better. Even when inserting a fresh mag with the slide locked back I don't drop it with the slide lock often. There are some drills where I do. Drills designed specifically to enhance your ability to very quickly bring an empty gun back into an active situation.

Back