testtest

Dove season

Dove season used to mean getting in shape for quail season to me. Since there are no quail in huntable numbers anywhere near me and I have long since quit breeding dogs, dove season is dead to me.

Still, it's a fantastic sentiment @somorris and one I share with you.
Due to urban sprawl - and rural, now too - “bird season” is a lost tradition in my area of NC also. You just never see/hear it anymore. I realize things WILL change, but it seems such a shame. Kind of like some counties used to excuse kids from school a couple of weeks for fall harvest, it has fallen by the way.

Now it’s just deer, deer, deer. Tree stands, scopes, crossbows and 4-wheelers are what the guys talk about exclusively. (Truth is, they don’t talk about the actual deer much. It’s all about the ‘stuff’ they need…consumerism?).
Ah well…

Due to urban sprawl - and rural, now too - “bird season” is a lost tradition in my area of NC also. You just never see/hear it anymore. I realize things WILL change, but it seems such a shame. Kind of like some counties used to excuse kids from school a couple of weeks for fall harvest, it has fallen by the way.

Now it’s just deer, deer, deer. Tree stands, scopes, crossbows and 4-wheelers are what the guys talk about exclusively. (Truth is, they don’t talk about the actual deer much. It’s all about the ‘stuff’ they need…consumerism?).
Ah well…
Here in Missouri it's mostly corporate farming that did quail hunting in. These days they farm right up to the roads and they don't leave any fence rows. There's quail here and there, but the last time I saw them it was deep in the woods near a pond. I hear they have quail up north near the Iowa border, but the glory days around here are long gone.

Ah well…
I always know it's September here in SW Oklahoma with all the shotgun blasts to the south of me.

I was in my favorite LGS Friday and was pleasantly surprised to see cases and cases of dove loads in stock at fairly reasonable prices. Dove season is 1 October here but I think it is open just over the line in Alabama.

I was in my favorite LGS Friday and was pleasantly surprised to see cases and cases of dove loads in stock at fairly reasonable prices. Dove season is 1 October here but I think it is open just over the line in Alabama.
Same phenomenon happened to me here in Missouri this past Thursday. I stop in the local Farm and Home a couple times a week looking at ammo and lo and behold, shelves fat with 7 1/2 and 8 for $7.99/box. I bought 30 boxes. They also had WWB 230 gr. in 100 rd. boxes for $60 so I grabbed one of those too.

Back