testtest

Driving with a Handgun: Best Practices

When driving, my weapons of choice are alertness to surroundings, spacing, the steering wheel, the accelerator, and the car itself. My firearm is the backup I can use if the need arises.
Though made primarily for commercial truck drivers the Smith System of Defensive Driving is worth a look; I would add to Lock n' Loads suggestions to observe other drivers, not just their vehicle. And always, at stop lights/signs, leave yourself an out, you won't find me on someones bumper in the middle lane, rather on the outside, with room enough to turn out and jump the curb if required. Don't fixate on the tail/brake lights of the vehicle ahead of you but rather view as far ahead as you can, this will allow you to spot trouble in time to adjust and if the brake lights come on in the vehicle ahead of you, your vision will automatically pick it up.

As a lefty the only realistic choice is is some type of crossdraw. The seat belt/corner of drivers seat impinges on access to anything holstered IWB/OWB from the 9 O'clock point and farther back. Appendix may work but I have not found any appendix holster for a duty sized weapon, that allows me to drive several hours at a pop without being in significant discomfort. Andrews Custom Leather makes a "carjacker crossdraw" holster that looks promising assuming I do not have passengers in the truck. http://www.andrewsleather.com/carjackerx.htm

As a lefty the only realistic choice is is some type of crossdraw. The seat belt/corner of drivers seat impinges on access to anything holstered IWB/OWB from the 9 O'clock point and farther back. Appendix may work but I have not found any appendix holster for a duty sized weapon, that allows me to drive several hours at a pop without being in significant discomfort. Andrews Custom Leather makes a "carjacker crossdraw" holster that looks promising assuming I do not have passengers in the truck. http://www.andrewsleather.com/carjackerx.htm
A shoulder holster setup may work? - Likely need a thin cover or other seasonal garment though.

If I am stopped for some routine traffic violation, I am not going to tell the officer I'm armed. I say this as a former officer of many years. Some cops will handle it calmly and be cool, others won't.
In my state the best practice is to hand the officer your driver's license and your LTC together with your registration. Have them out and ready by the time the officer gets to your door.

As soon as they run your driver's license they will know how many guns you have registered to you in the state.

Since I began doing it that way I have only received verbal warnings.

In my state the best practice is to hand the officer your driver's license and your LTC together with your registration. Have them out and ready by the time the officer gets to your door.

As soon as they run your driver's license they will know how many guns you have registered to you in the state.

Depends. I'm not going to be seen digging around in the vehicle or my pockets to present something to the officer by the time he gets to my window. What's the hurry? The officer may have questions/ideas he does not like about what I'm digging for/trying to hide. I'm still gonna be immobile, hands on the wheel in plain sight, and allow the officer to ask for what he wants and observe me while I access/present it.

So your state has an ( unconstitutional) gun registry ?

There are a lot of good vehicle carry methods mentioned. But, for my tastes, the only valud ones, for myself, involve on body carry.

Any time something is carried in a vehicle, unless it is very securely mounted, which precludes fast emergency uses, it is subject to the laws of momentum. If your vehicle is hit or stops fast, there exists the possibility the weapon could fly away from you.

Even mechanical "holds" could fail under the right circumstance. On purpose accidents and barricades could cause rapid stops.

This is why my handgun, a knife with glass punch, and my cell phone stay upon my person. If I am awake, and able to use them, for defence, or egress I want them at hand.

This is just my personal preference.

Solid advice Sid, and can testify to being T-boned on the drivers side with both my cell and G-30 on the passenger seat. No way could I have used either one if they had been on my person but days later when a person was sent to impoundment to retrieve the items they were of course long gone. Had they been on me though, maybe.

Solid advice Sid, and can testify to being T-boned on the drivers side with both my cell and G-30 on the passenger seat. No way could I have used either one if they had been on my person but days later when a person was sent to impoundment to retrieve the items they were of course long gone. Had they been on me though, maybe.
I worked in a body shop while going to college. I saw hundreds of cars that had been hit, and there were always items scattered randomly through the vehicle that had previously been stored in various places. This included a ton of stuff from women's purses, on seats, between seats, kids book bags, cubbies, and yes even one time a 38 that had been stowed in a holster hooked under the dash.

The one, kind of funny item I saw most was tissue boxes people stored on the rear window deck, often they hit the driver in the head. Occasionally it would be something harder which actually caused injury up there.

I worked in a body shop while going to college. I saw hundreds of cars that had been hit, and there were always items scattered randomly through the vehicle that had previously been stored in various places. This included a ton of stuff from women's purses, kids book bags, cubbies, and yes even one time a 38 that had been stowed in a holster hooked under the dash.

The one, kind of funny item I saw most was tissue boxes people stored on the rear window deck, often they hit the driver in the head. Occasionally it would be something harder which actually caused injury up there.
Yep, I pay attention now to securing items in the vehicle; don't need a tool box or cooler from the rear coming forward in the case of a panic stop.

A holster under the dash is not a bad idea, I have one under my desk top.

I worked in a body shop while going to college. I saw hundreds of cars that had been hit, and there were always items scattered randomly through the vehicle that had previously been stored in various places. This included a ton of stuff from women's purses, on seats, between seats, kids book bags, cubbies, and yes even one time a 38 that had been stowed in a holster hooked under the dash.

Never have understood the various assortment of items people voluntarily attach/stow on their visors, front dash, rear dash, that immediately become missile hazards/items of impalement to ones head/body when involved in a crash, or even coming to an abrupt halt.

There are a lot of good vehicle carry methods mentioned. But, for my tastes, the only valud ones, for myself, involve on body carry.

Any time something is carried in a vehicle, unless it is very securely mounted, which precludes fast emergency uses, it is subject to the laws of momentum. If your vehicle is hit or stops fast, there exists the possibility the weapon could fly away from you.

Even mechanical "holds" could fail under the right circumstance. On purpose accidents and barricades could cause rapid stops.

This is why my handgun, a knife with glass punch, and my cell phone stay upon my person. If I am awake, and able to use them, for defence, or egress I want them at hand.

This is just my personal preference.

(y)(y) "This is why my handgun, a knife with glass punch, and my cell phone stay upon my person. If I am awake, and able to use them, for defense, or egress I want them at hand. This is just my personal preference."

- Is likely the best choice in most scenarios too.

Back