testtest

Drop holster needed: XDM Elite Tactical OSP (9mm)

Mr. Untactical

Master Class
Founding Member
Proud owner of an XDM Elite Tactical OSP (9mm) and looking for OWB holster recommendations. Belt is 5.11 Tactical double belt rig; outer belt is 2". Primary holster use will be range work and training.

I've checked with Safari and they don't make the shell for this Springfield model - shame, because I think they've got one of the best rigs.

Also have reached out to Comp-Tac and waiting for a response from them on the options to select for their International™ Holster | Belt, Paddle, Drop Offset model. This isn't the setup I'd prefer, but need something to start working with the XDM Elite OSP soon.

Any ideas, references, links, experiences?

Thanks!

Proud owner of an XDM Elite Tactical OSP (9mm) and looking for OWB holster recommendations. Belt is 5.11 Tactical double belt rig; outer belt is 2". Primary holster use will be range work and training.

I've checked with Safari and they don't make the shell for this Springfield model - shame, because I think they've got one of the best rigs.

Also have reached out to Comp-Tac and waiting for a response from them on the options to select for their International™ Holster | Belt, Paddle, Drop Offset model. This isn't the setup I'd prefer, but need something to start working with the XDM Elite OSP soon.

Thanks!
I ha e the Comp-Tac International for my Walther Q5 match. Excellent range/ competition holster. Terrible carry/ tactical holster.

What are the downsides from a carry/tactical application? I don't really have any plans to carry at this point - unless it's on private property, but I tend to agree - that's one of the plusses I saw with a drop holster like SafariLand's - snug on the hip/thigh and with a thigh-strap.

One of the goals I'm trying to achieve with an XDM holster is to work on pistol/rifle transitions. A lot of that will be range based, but who knows, maybe I can work my up to two-gun at some point...

What are the downsides from a carry/tactical application? I don't really have any plans to carry at this point - unless it's on private property, but I tend to agree - that's one of the plusses I saw with a drop holster like SafariLand's - snug on the hip/thigh and with a thigh-strap.

One of the goals I'm trying to achieve with an XDM holster is to work on pistol/rifle transitions. A lot of that will be range based, but who knows, maybe I can work my up to two-gun at some point...
I'm not sure about other states, but Texas you can't carry with a drop/tactical/leg holster. That would be favorite way to carry!

I'm not an open carry guy myself. Have IWB for the Springfield XD Mod.2

The holster need for the XDM OSP is training and (maybe someday) competition. But if the right drop/tactical holster was available... look out riding mower! 🤣

I'm not sure about other states, but Texas you can't carry with a drop/tactical/leg holster. That would be favorite way to carry!
TEXASforLIFE, I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that in TX you can open carry with a drop leg holster, as long as it's attached to a belt. If it's just strapped to your thigh, and not attched to a belt, that may be illegal. Not for sure about that. And of course you need to have a valid License To Carry. I don't have a drop leg holster myself, but on occasion I do open carry when out at the ranch, or out in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise, I carry concealed. What is illegal in TX are ankle holsters.

TEXASforLIFE, I'm not 100% sure, but I do believe that in TX you can open carry with a drop leg holster, as long as it's attached to a belt. If it's just strapped to your thigh, and not attched to a belt, that may be illegal. Not for sure about that. And of course you need to have a valid License To Carry. I don't have a drop leg holster myself, but on occasion I do open carry when out at the ranch, or out in the middle of nowhere. Otherwise, I carry concealed. What is illegal in TX are ankle holsters.
At the time of the chl testing legal holster options were asked and answered at that time(7/19). Unless something has been changed? The belt attachment I was told not legal, but would be great if I can!

At the time of the chl testing legal holster options were asked and answered at that time(7/19). Unless something has been changed? The belt attachment I was told not legal, but would be great if I can!
I'm not a 100% sure, but I think it is legal. I never looked to hard into it, as I don't carry with a drop leg holster, but I do think they are legal, as long as they are attached to a belt. I've seen people leaving from the range wearing them home, and they were people I know who do have a LTC.

There is no concealing it. It’s not particularly comfortable. Retention isn’t fantastic. I have no experience drop legging it but I guess if that’s your plan concealment isn’t a thing anyway.

There is no concealing it. It’s not particularly comfortable. Retention isn’t fantastic. I have no experience drop legging it but I guess if that’s your plan concealment isn’t a thing anyway.
I have the 5.25" Comp-Tac on the way... in early February. Man, I hate this pandemic! Can't wait to try it out and get some repetitions in. Thanks for the feedback, sir (y)

Quick update for this thread and for anyone with an XD-M Elite Tactical OSP that's looking for a belt/holster, etc. setup (not for EDC, although kudos to you if you're carrying this puppy as an EDC!). This is what I consider my initial training and range "rig" and, fair warning, none of it has been put through any sort of rigorous use yet. This is merely some affordable gear that I've pulled together as a starting point.

1. 5.11 Tactical Sierra Bravo Duty BLT: There may (and probably are) better belts out there for both competition and/or tactical applications, but I went with this one because 5.11 Tactical doesn't stink and the price was right from GovX. It's a double belt rig that was easy to size and rests securely in place. To be honest, I was leaning toward the Warrior Poet double belt rig with the D ring, but didn't want to drop what would've been more than twice what I paid for this out of the gate. After all, I am untactical :ROFLMAO:

5_11 Tactical Sierra Bravo Duty BLT.jpg

2. CompTac International Drop Offset Holster: As discussed above, probably not the best holster for running around the countryside, but enough retention for range/light training use. I've worked with it on dry fire so far and it's pretty solid from that perspective.

CompTac International Drop Offset Holster.jpg

3. KN TAC Universal Mag Pouch: This is a double mag "pouch" (i.e., hard plastic" that has fair mag retention (at least on initial out of the box testing with dry fire/mag changes) and seems to hold the 22-round XD-M Elite Tactical magazines well. The belt attachment fit perfectly on the Sierra Bravo duty belt out of the box, but it is adjustable (up or down).

KN TAC Universal Mag Pouch (front).jpg
KN TAC Universal Mag Pouch (rear).jpg

As noted above, this is just a first pass and I'll see how it all holds up once I go "hot." Thanks to @Bassbob for the feedback and input.

Unless you are wearing bulky body armor or a substantial vest rig which would hinder access to a normal belt holster, a drop leg holster can be a little silly. You didnt mention wearing encumbering gear so I am not sure why you want or feel the need for a drop leg holster. I can tell you that realistic training, entering exiting vehicles, traversing cramped spaces, moving on the ground, running or climbing with a drop leg can be a nightmare. The only time I would seek the use of a drop leg would be in circumstances where I have absolutely no other choice.

Allow me to rehabilitate my comment: I mistook your title to say drop-leg. Sorry.

No worries! For me, it was about a holster option that would move the grip down a bit and make the draw stroke a little more natural/easy. Also, I'm planning on training with rifle and pistol (transitions) and was thinking that having the pistol a little lower would help with that. It's all theoretical, as I'm still working through the stages, but that's what I was thinking anyway.

Up to this point, my training has been with my EDC in a standard belt-carry kydex holster.

Quick update for this thread and for anyone with an XD-M Elite Tactical OSP that's looking for a belt/holster, etc. setup (not for EDC, although kudos to you if you're carrying this puppy as an EDC!). This is what I consider my initial training and range "rig" and, fair warning, none of it has been put through any sort of rigorous use yet. This is merely some affordable gear that I've pulled together as a starting point.

1. 5.11 Tactical Sierra Bravo Duty BLT: There may (and probably are) better belts out there for both competition and/or tactical applications, but I went with this one because 5.11 Tactical doesn't stink and the price was right from GovX. It's a double belt rig that was easy to size and rests securely in place. To be honest, I was leaning toward the Warrior Poet double belt rig with the D ring, but didn't want to drop what would've been more than twice what I paid for this out of the gate. After all, I am untactical :ROFLMAO:

View attachment 16078

2. CompTac International Drop Offset Holster: As discussed above, probably not the best holster for running around the countryside, but enough retention for range/light training use. I've worked with it on dry fire so far and it's pretty solid from that perspective.

View attachment 16079

3. KN TAC Universal Mag Pouch: This is a double mag "pouch" (i.e., hard plastic" that has fair mag retention (at least on initial out of the box testing with dry fire/mag changes) and seems to hold the 22-round XD-M Elite Tactical magazines well. The belt attachment fit perfectly on the Sierra Bravo duty belt out of the box, but it is adjustable (up or down).

View attachment 16080View attachment 16081

As noted above, this is just a first pass and I'll see how it all holds up once I go "hot." Thanks to @Bassbob for the feedback and input.

Looks like a pretty neat range rig to me Mr. U. :)

I use a similar set-up for my IPSC kit, including the Comp-Tac International for my XDM 5.25.

The International has just enough frop for a comfortable draw & I would also use it for self-defense carry where the need for concealed carry isn't needed.

In fact I like the Comp-Tac International enough that I have several others for othe pistols in similar rigs.

My .02

Thanks!
What is a drop-holster?

Thanks!
Since exploring holster options too and while keeping in mind SA's XDM & XDME are basically the same, if don't know already, this may help you in your search?

Also, very importantly while doing any holster search, do not ever forget with or without what optics, sights, lasers, ect. you may have installed or may install. Those sometimes very cool little gadgets can be real big headaches when holster hopping. Good luck on your search!

Here's a holster link you may find helpful?

Last edited:
Back