testtest

Dry run on my first Prime Rib on the smoker. Need to make some adjustments and changes.

Well, if you've got all those things down and especially if you've done a good bison chuck roast, there's not a lot of help you need. Just keep on keeping on like you are and let us in on the results from time to time ..... not so much that we might be able to help, but just to let us keep up with how you're doing overall.

Damn, "bison chuck" he says ...... I sometimes have a hard time with a beef chuck son. LOL! LOL!

All kiddin' aside, I'm happy to help if I can, as well as several others here. All you need to do is ask. (y)

Here's one last little tip ........... when you're doing a smoke cook for friends/neighbors, since they usually take a pretty long time, just every now and then (maybe every 1/2 hour or so) get a concerned look on your face, get up and walk over to the cooker and pretend you're tweaking something. You don't really have to tweak, just pretend you are, then smile and look contented on your way back. They'll all be watching you and impressed at what a pro you are. Then when you walk back to where everyone is sitting, pop yourself another cool one, kick back in your chair and say something like 'Well the protein is coming along fine, the fat is rendering just like I wanted, we're out of the stall, and we'll have some fine "Q" in just a little while'. Anything related to "Q" that will make you sound like the pro you want them to believe you to be.

All that sounds pretty reasonable to those who don't understand "Q", and they will be thoroughly impressed at you knowledge of the art/science of "Q". And you can tell any story you want ..... spread it on as thick as you think they'll buy, have some fun with it. If you sit and talk to them the whole time they'll be convinced there's nothing to making that good "Q" except time. It's up to you and me and all the other "Q'rs" here to keep the amazement, wonderment, and the ruse going. ;):sneaky::D:D:sneaky:

Last edited:
Well, if you've got all those things down and especially if you've done a good bison chuck roast, there's not a lot of help you need. Just keep on keeping on like you are and let us in on the results from time to time ..... not so much that we might be able to help, but just to let us keep up with how you're doing overall.

Damn, "bison chuck" he says ...... I sometimes have a hard time with a beef chuck son. LOL! LOL!

All kiddin' aside, I'm happy to help if I can, as well as several others here. All you need to do is ask. (y)

Here's one last little tip ........... when you're doing a smoke cook for friends/neighbors, since they usually take a pretty long time, just every now and then (maybe every 1/2 hour or so) get a concerned look on your face, get up and walk over to the cooker and pretend you're tweaking something. You don't really have to tweak, just pretend you are, then smile and look contented on your way back. They'll all be watching you and impressed at what a pro you are. Then when you walk back to where everyone is sitting, pop yourself another cool one, kick back in your chair and say something like 'Well the protein is coming along fine, the fat is rendering just like I wanted, we're out of the stall, and we'll have some fine "Q" in just a little while'. Anything related to "Q" that will make you sound like the pro you want them to believe you to be.

All that sounds pretty reasonable to those who don't understand "Q", and they will be thoroughly impressed at you knowledge of the art/science of "Q". And you can tell any story you want ..... spread it on as thick as you think they'll buy, have some fun with it. If you sit and talk to them the whole time they'll be convinced there's nothing to making that good "Q" except time. It's up to you and me and all the other "Q'rs" here to keep the amazement, wonderment, and the ruse going.;):sneaky::D:D:sneaky:
I do this when the MIL is around to get the hell out of the house all day

I settled on hickory for everything. Except fish. Don't smoke fish.
I don't smoke fish anymore either. I really like and enjoy me some good smoked salmon (fresh water) and dolphin (salt water) and even some big smoker kings from time to time. I also like me some smoked mullet at times. I just hate smelling up my smoker.

I used to keep an old model electric smoker just for fish, but finally gave it up altogether.

I don't smoke fish anymore either. I really like and enjoy me some good smoked salmon (fresh water) and dolphin (salt water) and even some big smoker kings from time to time. I also like me some smoked mullet at times. I just hate smelling up my smoker.

I used to keep an old model electric smoker just for fish, but finally gave it up altogether.
The Big Green Egg cookbook has a great recipe for cedar planked salmon. I substitute alder planks for cedar planks as Mrs Greener is allergic to the cedar. This is always a hit with our guests

Oh yeh, it's all good stuff, just ugly to prepare ........... (y) I've got an old home made recipe for smoked salmon to die for, but I just can't bring myself to cooking it.

I used to LOVE salmon; but then, when I was in my 20’s, for some reason it just didn’t taste good anymore…

Which sucked, because I had an aunt & uncle who lived in Ketchikan AK that would send their home-smoked (Alder wood) salmon down every year as Xmas gifts, and it was the BEST…until it just wasn’t.

I haven’t smoked any fish. A lot of pork—ribs, shoulders, chops, and a “Bacon Explosion”, a little beef (I really like to smoke a good chuck roast and make shredded BBQ beef), and chicken (wings and drums). Also made ABT’s (Atomic Buffalo Turds—bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers) a few times.

All that sounds pretty reasonable to those who don't understand "Q", and they will be thoroughly impressed at you knowledge of the art/science of "Q". And you can tell any story you want ..... spread it on as thick as you think they'll buy, have some fun with it. If you sit and talk to them the whole time they'll be convinced there's nothing to making that good "Q" except time. It's up to you and me and all the other "Q'rs" here to keep the amazement, wonderment, and the ruse going. ;):sneaky::D:D:sneaky:

When I’m smoking for people over…it’s always known I’m gonna be in the back yard, “babysitting” the smoker…even though I use an electric chip smoker…

With a cooler of beer, and usually a bottle of bourbon. For some reason, people like to hang out there with me…

I agree I actually have a fish only smoker

I used to LOVE salmon; but then, when I was in my 20’s, for some reason it just didn’t taste good anymore…

Which sucked, because I had an aunt & uncle who lived in Ketchikan AK that would send their home-smoked (Alder wood) salmon down every year as Xmas gifts, and it was the BEST…until it just wasn’t.

I haven’t smoked any fish. A lot of pork—ribs, shoulders, chops, and a “Bacon Explosion”, a little beef (I really like to smoke a good chuck roast and make shredded BBQ beef), and chicken (wings and drums). Also made ABT’s (Atomic Buffalo Turds—bacon wrapped jalapeño poppers) a few times.
Unfortunately, much of what used to be great that came out of the ocean has turned into terrible tasting and unhealthy eating because of the huge ocean based "fish farms" and what they have added to our fish supply and what they have done to even the wild fish. :sick:

The salmon out of the Atlantic has been terrible for years thanks to the Norwegian fish farms. The fish farms in the Pacific are now contaminating California, Oregon, and Washington to the point their fish isn't worth eating. Apparently the contamination is now reaching Alaska. :mad:

I made my own rub. Himalayan Sea Salt, Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Paprika, Chili Powder, Black Ground Pepper. I added Rosemary and Thyme, which was a mistake. I used oak and mesquite wood with charcoal. It had a slight bitter taste in the crust, which may be from the Thyme reacting with the smoke, or too much smoke. It was good otherwise. May also do a reverse sear on it. I bought it already tied with the long bones removed. From Publix.

Like another respondent, I wouldn't recommend mesquite for prime rib. You might want to try either straight hickory or a mix of hickory and apple. You might also want to consider a "butcher paper wrap" for at least 1/2 of your cooking process to cut down on burnt and bitter.

I buy my salmon and other seafood from Joe Patti's Seafood, the largest seafood outlet in our area. They are a top tourist attraction in Pensacola. They fly fish in from all over the hemisphere every day as well as fresh caught seafood from the Gulf from their own fleet of boats. I am not sure where they get the salmon, but it is excellent. I think the quality of the seafood you are getting depends on the buyer. I have a rule: never buy seafood from a restaurant or store where you can't see the water.

But the technology for BBQ has come a long way

Attachments

• 1668687592314.png
    1668687592314.png
    268.7 KB · Views: 59
Back